What's new

Cuban's

There's a lot of allure and superstition around Cubans. I've had two in my life. One was a Hoyo Churchill (I think) which was gifted. The other was a top tier Cohiba robusto at a Habano House in Medellín, Colombia. They were good smokes, the latter one also expensive, but I wouldn't place them on a pedestal.

Not at all. Maybe a better analogy is a Cuban is like Japanese food, other cigars like a Korean food.
I've never had a Cuban cigar and probably never will since they are against the law in this country. So I'll never know.
So generally speaking, are they better than all the rest?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I've never had a Cuban cigar and probably never will since they are against the law in this country. So I'll never know.
No, they are not. Some are very good, but so are some of the best from other regions.

Most of the top cigar-making families in Cuba got out after the Revolution, and continued to make excellent sticks from elsewhere.

Just a side note, but the Cubans a number of years ago were also behind the curve on pest control. I recall more than one pal who snuck a Cuban or two into their humidors via overseas journeys, and regretted it. They've since adopted more standard practices, but that is little consolation to those gentlemen now.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

You know, 20 years ago I thought they were the best. Seemed like everyone making cigars was trying to make a Cuban analog and nothing came close. Today people are blending cigars with flavors your just can’t get in a Cuban Puro(imo), especially the Nicaraguan fillers.

So to answer your question, I would say maybe? It’s like in the Star Trek movie when they brought Spock back from the dead and McCoy asked him about what it what is was like to be dead. You might have to smoke one to really get a definitive answer for yourself :).

I would just like to add that
unless you get your Cubans from a commercial purveyor,
the probability that they're fake
is actually kind of high.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
Screenshot 2022-03-18 191835.png
Today was a Montecristo , I understand about the tight draw not bad but not my favorite ,I prefer a little looser. The flavor and smoothness were great a very enjoyable way to pass an hour. If they weren't so hard to get I wouldn't mind having a few around. I may keep and eye on them to see if they get more available.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I haven't had a cigar for years now.... I usually bought Partagas cigars when I did. I miss the ritual.... A friend and I often smoked together when we were at the beach with our families. We even had a group that met once a month at a restaurant that allowed smoking.. for a nice dinner and cigars afterwards. There were usually 4 or 5 of us.

Having never tried any are Cuban cigars that much better then other top cigars ?
or is it like they say in Texas , All Hat and No Cattle

I think they used to be, but like most other industries the government took over in Cuba, they've messed up the cigar industry too. So right now the cigars you get from the DR, Nicaragua, and Honduras are every bit as good as what's coming out of Cuba now.

I find that the Montecristo #2 is my favorite, followed by the Partagas Serie D #4. The Partagas Lusitania used to be a favorite as well, but the quality went south. The Punch cigars were always way too strong for me.

If you can get your hands on a couple of genuine ones, then you should do so in order to scratch that itch. But you'll likely say "what's the big deal?"

Up here we are lucky to get Cubans alongside with everything else. A business partner likes Cohibas so I have smoked a few of those.. very smooth down to the nub. Upmann are nice too. Lately I have really been enjoying Macanudo cigars from Ecuador. Best draw I have found, and a nice nutty flavour.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
On a cruise to the Bahamas a couple of years ago, I picked up a Cuban Cohiba. I smoked it on the deck of the ship. It was a good smoke, but I wasn't running for the shore to buy a box. It was way OK and over priced. My favorites are still AF Dominicans.
This reminds me. A long time ago I was returning from a cruise and I stuck about 8 Cuban cigars in my girlfriend’s toiletries bag. My theory was pretty girls get away with more stuff. It worked just fine except boy was she mad at me when she found out.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I really like the Partagas Serie D4 and P2, as well as the Presidente. Fabulous cigars, strong, with lots of flavor. But there are many excellent cigars from many countries. I prefer Nicaraguan cigars because I like them strong. And they are easier and cheaper to get here in the States. But I have a good reputable supplier for Cubans and usually average 3 or so boxes a year.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I really like the Partagas Serie D4 and P2, as well as the Presidente. Fabulous cigars, strong, with lots of flavor. But there are many excellent cigars from many countries. I prefer Nicaraguan cigars because I like them strong. And they are easier and cheaper to get here in the States. But I have a good reputable supplier for Cubans and usually average 3 or so boxes a year.
But I have a good reputable supplier for Cubans
Mind sharing :em2300:

The Serie D #4 is one of my favourites. Amazing cigar.

I have been lucky enough to have visited Cuba a few times and have hundreds of Cuban cigars in my humidors. I love them but Dominicans, Hondurans and Nicaraguan cigars can be as good if not better. I think the mystique of Cubans in the US is part of why they are so popular.

I just got back from the Dominican and didn’t even look at Cuban Cigars at the duty free. I bought as many Dominican cigars as I was allowed though. 👍

This reminds me. A long time ago I was returning from a cruise and I stuck about 8 Cuban cigars in my girlfriend’s toiletries bag. My theory was pretty girls get away with more stuff. It worked just fine except boy was she mad at me when she found out.
Making your GF your cigar mule. LOL. Hey, it could have been drugs or something worse. 🤪

Top Bottom