What's new

China trying to corner Cuban Cigar Market.

This is not good thing, apparently China is now major share holder in SA Cuba, State owned company who controls most or all of Cuban Cigars.

Have notice two thing from suppler in Hong Kong & Geniva.

Prices up, and they are offering more Cigar Brand available in USA.

Chinese government had made big buck investment in Cuban Cigar Industry.

Not good.

There was some talk about this in This Thread. JR Cigar and Cigars.com are Chinese- owned now too.

Edit: Cigars.com not to be confused with Cigar.com, which is owned by STG.

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
This doesn’t surprise me. Most of the “best” vices are sold in Europe/Asia. There are spirits, tobaccos, and foods (think Coffee) that are offered only in those markets. The steriotypical American consumer has been branded as being ok with cheap, disposable, and wanting stuff fast even if it means lesser quality. Europeans and Asians have a reputation as being willing to pay more for quality.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
IDC who owns them as long as they lower the damn prices. I'm not willing to pay $50/stick when they used to cost $10/stick just 3 years ago. That's robbery pure and simple. I'll quit cigars all together before I shell out that kind of dough.

Unless I win the lottery. Then I'm buying Cubans by the truckload :letterk1:

Well the Chi-Com have the money, Cuba need help, and China now pretty much control Cuban Cigars. Being perfectly honest I think one of the BEST Cigar I ever had was a Cuban, and Worst was Cuban.

Cigars from Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, and Honduras are also great, good, or crap. Cubans use to be bench mark for best, but being honest they have had some bad growing years.

As Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, and Honduras trade with Cuba, I would not bet against idea, some Cuban are not 100% Cuban Leaf.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I know that this is big Buck business but I could sleep well on having my humidor stuffed with current made, consistent Nicaraguan sticks and not the hit and miss Cubans churned out nowadays.

This. IMO, Cubans are more myth today than they're worth.

All the top cigar families left in '59, and are making terrific sticks elsewhere at this point.

I've also been privy to more than one horror story in recent years where Cubans took out a humidor with beetles when they were not prophylactically pre-frozen. May they all go straight to China, and take their eggs with them.

Besides, once you take the band off (as all polite gentlemen should), nobody knows what you're smoking anyway.

Top Bottom