What's new

Crazy thick beard. Nothing good enough

Hi,

I know most people think they do but I really do have a crazy thick beard. Nothing i do softens it for long enough to shave without it tugging or me having red bumps and soreness after the shave. The kit I have used in the past which has proved useless have been EJ DE89, A few vintage razors, Merkur 34HD, Parker 22R. I've also tried loads of different blades such as feather (very harsh and raw), Gillette yellow (really smooth but not sharp enough) Derby (truly felt as blunt as wood). I'm currently using an R41 with Astra SP blades and find it still tugs and still doesn't do the job without soreness or stubble left.

I'm using an Omega Professional Boar brush and TOBS unscented shaving cream. Mix up the lather in a scuttle and spend a few mins really working it in. I have also tried face lathering but it makes no difference.

I'm at my wits end, no amount of prep or technique gives me a pain free/red bump free shave and I have to resort to cartridges which leave my face in pain even more (but do get the stubble down to almost bbs).

Any ideas?

Matt

Last edited:
I don't have any personal experience, but have you looked into slants? From all I've read, they seem to be preferred by people with tough beards. Best of luck and I'm sure you'll get the help you need here. :)

Hi,

I haven't tried a slant as read mixed reviews. Some say they aren't as aggressive as an r41 (which I'm struggling with now) and some say they are. I have tried a shavette and couldn't use it as I couldn't find the way to get the angle right.

Matt

[MENTION=110544]Beastual[/MENTION] It is really hard to say because there are so many factors involved. If I had to guess...and it is only a guess...you might be using too much pressure when shaving. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you...no need to press harder. Also getting the correct angle is important too. In the end though, you have to do what is best for you. You may be one of those guys that just gets ingrown hairs, razor burn, or just not a close shave. I think more information is needed. How many passes do you do? In what direction? What do you do for prep? And whatever else you can offer us.

I do want to say...Welcome to Badger & Blade! No matter the outcome of your shaving quest, I do hope you stick around. There are many topics of discussion on this site and I am sure you can find one that you enjoy.

Also since you signed up today, you are eligible for our weekly blade PIF. Click on the link below to view the thread. You will have the opportunity to win a blade sampler. All you have to do is say I'm in. Once again, welcome to B&B!

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ter-for-your-chance-to-win!-May-28th-June-4th

Cheers for that. I shower first and then dry my body and leave my face wet. I then later up in a bowl and spend a few mins massaging it in to my stubble. I do 3 passes WTG XTG AND ATG in that order. If I don't do the final ATG my neck area (which is where I suffer with red bumps and pain) is still coarse with stubble and within 8-10hrs feels like needles are sticking into my skin, my stubble is that harsh. I make an effort not to apply any pressure and hold the razor with 2 fingers so I don't over grip.

Matt

I know others are going to come on here and off other bits of advice, but I just don't know. I also have a pretty thick beard and have issues with my neck, but I don't think I have the issues you do. Direction of beard growth is important to know so maybe this might be an issue. But really, it seems like you are doing everything you are supposed to. I am hoping that someone else can come along and help out. Good luck!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Welcome Matt. I see 4 posts at the top of this thread. How long have you been at this? The reason I ask is that razor angle could cause some of these problems, along with too much pressure.

Hi Matt, Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried a SE razor? Perhaps the thicker more ridged blade you help.

You have tried a few things, give a pre-shave oil a shot. Some here love PSO, others despise it. I fall in the first group. Try a FEW drops of olive oil. Wash you face, leave wet. Massage in a few drops of oil, there should be little to no oil left on top of the skin. Let it sit a minute, I whip up my lather here, then lather right over it. If your brush, razor, sink get oily you used too much oil. Just a few drops is all it takes.

PSO does not make the shave slicker, rather it conditions the skin so it conforms to the razor better. Closer smoother shaves are the end result for me. I did not take it on a two week trip this spring and by the end of it my face had an almost constant mild razor burn. Glad to get home and back to some oil.

If it helps you, then check out the Wiki for some PSO recipes.

I have similar problems and it took me a long time to get to where I'm now getting close, comfortable shaves. Here's what I do and maybe it'll help you.

I shave in the morning. So at night before I go to bed I rub some Noxzema into my beard and leave it there until morning. This is probably the thing that's made the most difference to me. My whiskers soften up pretty quick after this treatment.

In the morning, i rub in some pre-shave oil. Nothing fancy. Just some olive or grapeseed oil. I think this helps the whiskers soften faster but only by a small amount. It also seems to help protect my skin while I'm shaving but again only a little. I'd say try this and if it doesn't make a big enough difference it's optional.

Next, I put some shaving cream on my face and rub it in with wet hands. Then let it sit in my beard for a few minutes. Get hands wet and rub the lather in some more and you'll be able to feel if the whiskers have softened up. If not, wait a few more minutes and repeat until you can feel your whiskers have softened up. Without the Noxzema treatment the night before, the whisker softening can take 15 minutes for me. But with the Noxzema, it happens in 2 or 3 minutes. Once the whiskers feel pretty soft, you can lather and shave. With a sharp blade, the whiskers will feel like you're just wiping them off your face and this is what you want for a comfortable shave.

Let me know if any of that helps. Everyone's different so this routine that I figured out over several years works great for me, might need to be modified a little for you, so keep experimenting to see what helps.

Welcome! I really dont know the slightest thing about shaving as i am a newbie too, but you might look into Straight razors, single edge or more aggressive razors. That together with prep might help your situation

Welcome to B&B, Matt.

From the problems you describe, as others have said above, it's a question of blade angle and too much pressure on the razor. In particular, the neck is a difficult place to get right because it is difficult for some to keep the correct angle while shaving there.

Putting too much pressure on your razor will result in cuts, nicks, and irritation. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I find that using the correct grip can make a big difference. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can so that it stays on your face and without it falling from your hand. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you.

Finally, look here for blade angle.

I don't have any personal experience, but have you looked into slants? From all I've read, they seem to be preferred by people with tough beards. Best of luck and I'm sure you'll get the help you need here. :)

+1. I used a 34C and 33C and it was like using a blunt instrument. To put it, you are essentially hacking at the beard hair like you are a piece of wood. I've recently changed over to a slant (37C) and it is night and day. It slices through the hair nicely. I use an Astra SP or Persona platinum blade with it. Definitely changed the way I look at wet shaving. You should at least give it a try.

Is it a 2013 R41? Blade 'skip' may be an issue.
I know what you mean about needles, the feeling when your neck pinches - even hours after a shave - and it's tight and tender like needles digging in. It's possible you have wicked sensitive skin, and so need to 'start over' with wet shaving, altering everything based on that assumption. I found rose water after shaving helped a great deal, along with alum water, instead of direct application of an alum block to the face - I also found that working the lather in lots and lots didn't improve the shave, and just caused more irritation.

I had similar problems so added: Noxema to strip the oil away and soften the whisker. An aggressive razor (R41 or an Single Edge), Pre-shave oil/or let the lather sit on my face for 5-10 mins. I also found I was using too much pressure, not stretching & flattening the skin enough, and not letting the post shave 'develop'. Ie. BBS is more likely 10-20 mins after the shave itslef is done, than when you've just put the razor down. Your skin has had time to calm and the added witch hazel/rose water/balm has time to do it's work. I eliminated cologne, just added balm and - later - some cologne on my wrists & small of my back.

You may have to start over with a straight, or you may just have to start over with different technique.
Wish I could help more.

Thanks for the replies. I'll buy some Noxzema and try that. Perhaps I am rushing a bit as I typically start shaving after about 5 mins of getting out of the shower. Perhaps lager up and let it sit on my beard for longer.

Matt

Haven't tried a Gillette Red Tip. Will have a look. I might order a 37c slant and see if that's any better. Is the 39c slant any better?

A slant might help but it's definitely a YMMV. At least it was in my case. I had a 39c and Ikon slant and while they worked, I found they did not work as well for me as almost any regular old DE.

Top Bottom