What's new

Could you master any DE Razor?

Sure - with proper blade selection, and assuming that I do my part, I can get a good shave using any of the (now approaching 50) razors that I own. Of course some require more on my part than others.

--Bob

I expect the answer is yes. It may take time to adapt but I would expect most would be easy to acquire a decent shave.

Sure, with the right technique, any half-decent razor will give you an acceptable shave. Around here, though, we don't settle for half-decent. We want perfection! Hence, RAD. :laugh:

+1
B&B is a unique environment. Some of us here are seeking perfection. I had one DE razor 20 years ago and was happy with the shave because I got to know that razor. When I joined B&B, I realised there are better tools (razors) than what I had. The grass is always greener.

It took a while for me to realise that with patience any decent razor can give me a near perfect shave it's just that some razors you may have to work harder. In fact thinking about it, it'll probably only take less than a month to master any decent razor. Pick one razor for whatever the reason you like it, and keep using it you will get perfection. Simple.

The (problem?) for most of us, here on B&B - we get bored with using the same razor and swap around, and then we want perfection in comparing the traits of the previous razor to the current.

My dad taught me to shave with this one so all of those were a snap by comparison :001_smile

proxy.php

You're lucky that your dad let you use a modern razor. My dad is old school, and made me learn with broken clam shells. That wasn't so bad, but he made me prep my face possum fat. He then made me use Buffalo urine, as an aftershave splash. But, that wasn't the bad part. He first made me get the Buffalo urine myself. They don't appreciate people lingering around, down there. All this made me appreciate what I have now.

Yes. This is only shaving, not brain surgery. A razor is just a metal holder for the actual shaving tool, the blade. Some razors are more aggressive then others, but at the end of the day, it's not some uncontrollable piece of dangerous power equipment.

Yes. This is only shaving, not brain surgery....

Gee, you mean I can skip my Betadine face prep! You learn something everyday!:biggrin1:

If mastering a razor means getting a socially acceptable shave then yes a quality DE would work... but most folks here at B&B want more than just acceptable and some razors for some faces just won't make the grade. Personally, a TECH may make my shave acceptable but I wouldn't be "happy" with the closeness.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I could shave with any razor. If it was too aggressive for my liking I would eventually develop a technique that would allow me to minimize the ensuing discomfort, and with great care would get excellent shaves.

Why I would want to put my face through that ordeal is beyond me.

Sure, RAD can get out of control (or, on the other hand, help develop a fine collection). But I absolutely do not agree that staying with your first razor, brush, cream and blade is the path to excellence, BBS, comfort or the like. I believe some experimentation is vital to finding the right fit for your hardware and software.

I have only shaving with safety razors for a month and a half, and i am sure I can get a decent shave with any decent razor. I have tried DE and SE razors and get good shaves from both. Now do I want to just use one, no.

I think I get a good shave with all my razors. Some might take more time with an additional pass. For me anyways I think finding the right blade is the key. I tend to use each new razor I buy with a GSB for the first time and usually end up thinking it was my best shave yet .... Till the next purchase. Lol

It's interesting that here on B&B the very limited selection razors we used back in the fifties, the only ones available, are now highly sought as "the best ever" vintage razors!

Of course you can get used to any razor and get very good results and you can pay $200 for a modern marvel and get so-so results; it'a a tool and like any tool is only as good as the user's skill.

I went through the "purchase all syndrome" for a while. Now I use just open combs, Voshkod blades, but a variety of soaps/creams. Shaves are great and skin in good shape.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with any razor I've used, so yes. To be honest I am always a little surprised when fellow members state that they had a bad time with razor. I have shaved with Old Type OC to Fatboys, on various settings and have never had an issue. Maybe I'm an idiot savant with a razor, or just lucky :lol:

Last edited:
I think you can figure out almost any razor. I suppose you can master any razor that your skin will tolerate. For some of us with thinner skin, there is a limit as to how aggressive a razor and blade combo we can use daily, assuming good prep, lather and technique.

Having said that, I have come to know the 6 razors I have, what blades work best in each, which works daily and which ones are best used for a few days' worth of growth.

In reply to the OP: almost yes. Some razor require more "effort" or care to get great results, and some will cause irritation when trying for too long (too many strokes over the same spot) to achieve BBS. But hey, BBS will not last for long anyway, so what.

Yes.
I can adjust my technique to suit any razor, I reckon.
And once I found R41, I ditched all the others and now only use that one. It's easily the most efficient razor I've come across, and it took a relatively short time to get used to its aggressiveness.
I seldom get weepers.

There are tons of razors out there. Most of us have RAD. Years ago I assume men would just buy a random gillette and shave with that. They didn't alternate 10 razors or anything. Do you think that if given a random QUALITY MADE DE razor you could master it and get as good of shaves as you get with your favorite razor?

The reason I ask is it seems I am getting carried away with all the purchases. I just want to pick an item and stick with it. I think I am striving for perfection too much. Thanks.

Absolutely, to answer your question.

I shave exclusively with straights; I keep one Gillette Superspeed Red Tip to keep things moving when I'm in a rush. My decision to purchase that razor was simply a matter of price and availability. I had no desire to go vintage--the timing made the decision for me.

BBS in ten minutes. I have no need to buy more DEs. If my Honing is consistent I can't see a difference in straights either.

Top Bottom