What's new

Coticule vs Slate progression

Yup, I have a dozen Thruingian’s all different colors and 3 labled Eschers, all of the Thuringians deliver as good an edge at the labled stones.

Saving lables or boxes was not a thing until about 15-20 years ago, so there are a ton of unlabled Escher’s in the wild.

Thruingian’s are the Honda Accords of the razor honing world, they just work, not a lot of fancy technique required.

There are a bit better edges out there but a good Thruingian edge is hard to beat for a new honer and can keep you shaving for a lifetime.

But you are ahead of the game, in that you have created a good shaving edge that you are happy with, and you have a coticule that you know works for you.

Now you can experiment, worst case scenario you have a fall-back position with your coticule.
Thank you. I’ve been researching heavily this past 6 months. I didn’t even attempt to hone until I have acquired reputable stones. The weak spot in my progression, and this is just a feeling, is my Illinois Razor Co 827. I’m going to pick up a horsehide or comparable smooth strop to see if it improves my edge any.

Yup, a strop is you last opportunity to polish and perfect your edge before it touches your face. The quality of the strop, cleanliness and stropping technique can make all the difference.

Check out Tony Miller Heirloom strops, for quality hand-made strops with replaceable leather and linen and a great line of inexpensive starter strops and high end leather.

Stropping is way, way under rated, as is Leather and Linen quality.

Problem with the "Get a Thuri" suggestion is that any Thuri that is obvious sells for almost as much as the same size & color Escher would anyway.

And any Thuri that isn't obvious is not a Thuri 99.999999999% of the time, no matter what the seller tells you.

Obvious 7x1.5" Green Thuri with no label? Expect to pay $300+ easy.
Labeled 7x1.5" DB Escher? Probably <$250.
Boxed 5x1" "Celebrated" DB Escher? <$100.

Buy a DB Escher.

Thank you. I’ve been researching heavily this past 6 months. I didn’t even attempt to hone until I have acquired reputable stones. The weak spot in my progression, and this is just a feeling, is my Illinois Razor Co 827. I’m going to pick up a horsehide or comparable smooth strop to see if it improves my edge any.

Illinois 827 is a pretty good strop. It works fast. It's one of the most difficult strop you can cut during your novice period. The roughness of the surface will decrease with use. Just use it.

If I'm not going to buy a '' Russian Diamond Cut Back'' certified old strop etc. (in nos condition), I would use it if I were you.

Illinois 827 is a pretty good strop. It works fast. It's one of the most difficult strop you can cut during your novice period. The roughness of the surface will decrease with use. Just use it.

If I'm not going to buy a '' Russian Diamond Cut Back'' certified old strop etc. (in nos condition), I would use it if I were you.
That was one of the aspects I forgot to add. If 75 laps are suggested, 25 - 35 are typically plenty with this strop.

Thank you for the advice. It has definitely done the job at a fraction of the price.

So just to add to this conversation, my La Lune 2x6 arrives today. I spent the evening with a Gold Dollar and the stone. The resulting edge from their suggested slurry progression turned out to be better than expected! Maybe I got lucky with this one.

Yup, a strop is you last opportunity to polish and perfect your edge before it touches your face. The quality of the strop, cleanliness and stropping technique can make all the difference.

Check out Tony Miller Heirloom strops, for quality hand-made strops with replaceable leather and linen and a great line of inexpensive starter strops and high end leather.

Stropping is way, way under rated, as is Leather and Linen quality.
Good call on the Heirloom strops. I’m going to pick one up ASAP to add to the lineup.

Top Bottom