What's new

Cooking rice - Any tips?

Rice cookers? Pah! :tongue_sm

The way my family's been doing it for years is in the microwave. Yes, you heard me correctly.

1x microwaveable glass/ceramic bowl (fairly large)
1x microwaveable plate (large enough to cover the bowl)
2x large fistfuls of rice, or however much you want (Basmati)

- Rinse rice in several charges of cold water
- Add more fresh cold water to cover the rice
- Nuke, covered, for about 12 minutes.

It's worked thus far!

- ice

Tried this and it came out great thanks!

The first time I tried this method it came out dry and hard, because I had covered it.

This time I did the same thing:

1) Rinsed rice
2) 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water UNCOVERED for 10 minutes on a medium setting
3) covered and left in microwave with door shut for 5 minutes

Just ate a curry & this time the rice didnt let it down.

Really appreciate it & it saved me spending more money on a rice cooker!

So I'm wondering whether there is any standard method to seasoning the rice before cooking, or afterwards? I've tried it both ways. Putting the seasoning and flavorings in the pot prior to cooking is more convenient, but adding them afterwards seems to taste better, as they remain more potent in raw form.

How do you guys do it?
Well, I've come to the conclusion that its better to season the rice AFTER it is cooked, no matter what flavorings I'm adding to it.

So now, my standard prep is just rice, water (or vegetable broth,) and a Tbsp of butter ... anything and everything else is added after the rice is cooked.

By putting the seasonings on afterwards, they have much more flavor to them ... whether I'm adding seaweed or salt/pepper/garlic or whatever, you can really taste the additions, rather than having them muddled and diluted by the cooking process.

An added benefit is that not every serving needs to be seasoned the same. I usually get three servings out of each batch, and I don't have to have each one tasting the same.

Last edited:
Have you tried Hon Dashi?

Although it is billed first as a soup stock, it goes quite nicely with rice dishes ... either as a pre-cooking ingredient or sprinkled on top as a seasoning.

It is a staple in most Asian grocery stores, and you can sometimes find it in a well-stocked Western supermarket in the Ethnic aisles.

Top Bottom