What's new

Cooking rice - Any tips?

I'm thinking about upgrading my Zojirushi rice cooker. If I put my old one up on the BST would there be any interest in such an item here? It's a basic, one button model.
Probably not, considering that they are available new for around $15. Either keep it as a spare, use it at your office, or donate it to Goodwill.

So I'm wondering whether there is any standard method to seasoning the rice before cooking, or afterwards? I've tried it both ways. Putting the seasoning and flavorings in the pot prior to cooking is more convenient, but adding them afterwards seems to taste better, as they remain more potent in raw form.

How do you guys do it?

So I'm wondering whether there is any standard method to seasoning the rice before cooking, or afterwards? I've tried it both ways. Putting the seasoning and flavorings in the pot prior to cooking is more convenient, but adding them afterwards seems to taste better, as they remain more potent in raw form.

How do you guys do it?

If I'm using fresh spices, I add them before cooking. If I'm using dried/ground spices, I add it afterwards. Have you tried a few cilantro sprigs tossed on top? Sometimes it even looks pretty :D

Oh, I had some steel cut oats this morning. Good stuff! Took about 25 minutes to cook 1 cup though. Flavorful and more fun to eat than rolled oats. I bet the cooking time can be reduced...

??? Mine was $80... please tell me where you found them for this price! :w00t:

If its a simple Cook/Warm type rice-cooker, and not a Fuzzy Logic model, you can get them for around $15 at Target, K-Mart, Walmart, and most supermarkets. If it has a built-in timer for delayed cooking, and/or a stainless shell and other upgrades, that could put the price up around the $80 mark.

The fact that yours has the Zojirushi brand-name shouldn't jack the price up that much.

Here's a sampling of simple rice-cookers from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref...n:289939,n:678540011,k:rice+cooker&sort=price

Yeah... these are really for people, or families, who eat rice every day, with many meals, and want warm, restaurant quality rice all the time.

Yeah... these are really for people, or families, who eat rice every day, with many meals, and want warm, restaurant quality rice all the time.
I'm just now starting to appreciate having rice every single day ... It takes me all of 3 minutes to prepare in the morning, and the timer on the Sanyo means I have a fresh, hot bowl waiting for me as soon as I get home from work.

It sure beats having to prep the rice and wait for it to cook after work, and I sometimes couldn't eat until an hour-and-a-half later. Most days, I didn't even bother.

Also, my local market has a sale on Kohinoor brand Basmati rice ... 12-pound bags for $5. I've picked up four bags so far, and intend to buy another one each time I go shopping until the sale is over at the end of this month. I figure each bag will last me about 2 months with daily use.

Rice cookers? Pah! :tongue_sm

The way my family's been doing it for years is in the microwave. Yes, you heard me correctly.

1x microwaveable glass/ceramic bowl (fairly large)
1x microwaveable plate (large enough to cover the bowl)
2x large fistfuls of rice, or however much you want (Basmati)

- Rinse rice in several charges of cold water
- Add more fresh cold water to cover the rice
- Nuke, covered, for about 12 minutes.

It's worked thus far!

- ice

in a rice cooker - half water, half coconut milk, then adding some grated ginger.

yummmm

WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW

I made this last night, and even got some new Jasmine rice. Out of this world, and all I had with it was some baked chicken. Thank you for this tip.

Got Anymore ????

Thank you for this tip.

Got Anymore ????

How about the same rice with Masaman curry?

Fry up potatoes and tofu, curry sauce with coconut milk, then a couple minutes before it's done stir in a few chunks of a fresh tomato.
:thumbup1:

Rice cookers? Pah! :tongue_sm

The way my family's been doing it for years is in the microwave. Yes, you heard me correctly.

1x microwaveable glass/ceramic bowl (fairly large)
1x microwaveable plate (large enough to cover the bowl)
2x large fistfuls of rice, or however much you want (Basmati)

- Rinse rice in several charges of cold water
- Add more fresh cold water to cover the rice
- Nuke, covered, for about 12 minutes.

It's worked thus far!

- ice

Tried his but it came out way too dry.

How much water did you mean? Should it be on a simmer setting?

How about the same rice with Masaman curry?

Fry up potatoes and tofu, curry sauce with coconut milk, then a couple minutes before it's done stir in a few chunks of a fresh tomato.
:thumbup1:

This sounds good too. I don't know about the tomato though. Fresh tomato in December.... Anyway, I bought extra coconut milk for the other recipe so I'll give this a go this week. Thanks

This sounds good too. I don't know about the tomato though. Fresh tomato in December.... Anyway, I bought extra coconut milk for the other recipe so I'll give this a go this week. Thanks

You can do it either way, but letting the tomato chunks stew in the curry for a couple minutes gives it a great flavor. Use Roma's if you can't find a ripe one at your grocery store.

Top Bottom