What's new

Convince me I need a Henson

I have both AL13 and Ti22 medium razors and enjoy them. I get excellent shaves from them and find their quality superb. Are the my favorite razors, no, but they are very nice performers for me and I use them often. I believe you need to like using a more steep shaving angle with them due to their design. Folks that are used to using a more shallow angle most likely won’t get along well with the Henson. Fine razors though.
Please tell us what are your favorite razors?

...will this give me the performance of my aggressive razors with a more mild feel?

Yes!
(applies to +++ in Ti)

++ is for daily shaving...+++ is for shaving alternate days (according to my
beard responses)

Last edited:
On another note, I find a fair bit of unnecessary controversy about the Henson
that I don't agree with.

• Anyone can shave with this razor....it's not just for the cartridge crowd.
• It's designed to provide a comfortable and effective shaving experience without
stressing your skin, no matter how much buffing you do.
• Very forgiving if you, intentionally or otherwise, use a little more pressure.
• Yes the shaving angle is narrow...much like the Blackbird. There's a youtube video
from Blackland that explicitly says "the Blackbird's top cap has been designed to lock
in the shaving angle". The same is true for Henson.

• It's designed to provide a comfortable and effective shaving experience without stressing your skin, no matter how much buffing you do.
This is the one thing that the Henson does not do for me, except for the +++ version. For me, the + and ++ are frustratingly inefficient and require excessive buffing, which definitely caused irritation. The +++ is acceptable in efficiency (not great, just OK), but I decided that there are better performing razors for the money (for me).

I am not a huge fan of the + and ++.
As I have said before, the + is/was designed for women to shave their legs.
If you are a guy and it works for you, ok...fine.

The ++ is something I imagine head shavers would like because it is
an autopilot razor you can whizz around the dome much like a cartridge job.

It's the +++ in Ti that shines for me...for face shaving. As I said, efficiency
means different things to different people. To me it means the duration
between one shave and the next. With +++ I get a great no fuss shave that lasts all
day and I don't feel the need to shave the next day as well.

2. It may be the 13th element in the periodic table, as Henson points out (hence the name AL13), but what has that to do with the qualities of a razor?

Hmmm. I had always though the name Al13 was related to the weight, 1.3 ounces. Seems they put some though into the size and naming 🤔

Since you are an experienced wet shaver, and shave with a straight...
If you were to get a Henson, only the Aggressive +++ version, paired with a very sharp blade (Feather, BIC, Nacet, Permasharp, etc.) would give it any chance of working for you.
That said...If you prefer heavier DE razors, forget it.
If you prefer super short handles, forget it. (They now have both shorter and longer handles available)
If you prefer a lot of audio feedback, forget it.
If you like the challenge of shaving with a razor with a very small sweet spot or a blood machine, forget it.
IMHO, the secret of the Henson is that you can apply pressure (like a disposable or cartridge) and not get cut.
You can also shave very quickly while blindfolded, and not get cut or weepers...due to the design architecture and essentially perfect machining and fit of the 3 pieces (.0005 machining tolerance)...with zero chatter and little audio feedback. The Henson is truly an autopilot razor.
I can get a very close BBS shave with the AL13+++, equal to my aggressive razors (in my 60 razor collection). To do so requires mastering the technique of the Henson (applying pressure) which is very different from most DE razors with traditional design architecture (R41, Carbon, etc.).
I prefer very light razors with longer handles, so the AL13 +++ Aggressive with a very sharp blade, works for me.
If you purchase a Henson, it must be a Version 2 Aggressive, due to the many design improvements over the Version 1. The Henson Aggressive (Aluminum or Titanium) is only available from vendors outside of Henson, and they all should be selling the Version 2.

The machining is high quality but the Henson and ++ version are too mild for me. Anything more than stubble and I'm struggling. Also, I'm not a big fan of aluminum. For less than Henson's price you can get a machined stainless steel piece.

Ti Henson+++ works so well for me.
I have a modest collection of vintage razors and some more modern examples like the Piccolo, R41, DE89 and all of them are capable of BBS shaves depending on my technique on the day, prep, blade choice and practice with the razor in hand.
The Henson I can just pick up, put in just about any blade and get an excellent result ……..consistently, without fuss, trauma and usually in half the time.
That’s the issue with this razor I believe. It removes some of the hobby aspect of shaving, which clearly lots of us here love, and turns the daily (for me) ritual into a kind of slight non event.
However…….I use my Henson+++ the most as it delivers a super close shave that just lasts longer without the irritation some of the others can give. I doubt it’s the greatest razor ever as there’s loads I haven’t tried out there but it is damn good and if you can afford one then I’d say go for it. Worse case is you hate it and sell it on. They always get snapped up.

We can not convince you, you have to convince yourself.
We are here to inform.
It will usually come down to a buy and try...

BFX

1702582601173.png

Personally the Henson medium performs decently for me but I do not use it as much anymore after having acquired an EJ 3one6. I can still get good shaves with it but even with the best of lathers I find it does glide as well as other razors and therefore does not feel as effortless or comfortable.

Maybe it has a little bit to do with weight as well, I'm mostly used to SS razors and thanks to their weight you can apply no pressure and let the razor do the work but with the AL13 it's so light you have to put a bit of pressure which becomes hard to control and can turn into irritation.

I'll probably sell mine as I get much better shaves from the 3one6.

My wife bought me a Henson for Christmas (at my request). I was excited to get it, as I was impressed with the ads and explanations I was seeing before the holidays. Unfortunately, I wish I had read all the review here first, b/c IMO, the negatives
mentioned in many of the above posts have come true for me too. It's pretty light, but I have substituted the handle from an Edwin Jagger that I don't use (b/c it's TOO aggressive for me), so that has helped. a little. It's very EASY to use and almost impossible to cut yourself with it, but I don't think it gets as close as either of my Gillette Adjustables or my Gilette SuperSpeed.

I'm wondering if maybe it's the blade, as I've been using the ones they send with the razor (RK brand??). I think tomorrow I'll break out a brand new Derby (I know.....they're not super sharp either) and see if that makes any difference.

My biggest complaint is the hard to get places....for me, under the jaw line, neck, etc....As soon as I finish shaving I still have
a little bristle on the neck. So, I guess I'll just give it a good shot for a month or so, see if my technique with it improves or a better blade makes a difference, and if not, then add it to the collection, use it every 2nd or 3rd shave, (sigh).....

My wife bought me a Henson for Christmas (at my request). I was excited to get it, as I was impressed with the ads and explanations I was seeing before the holidays. Unfortunately, I wish I had read all the review here first, b/c IMO, the negatives
mentioned in many of the above posts have come true for me too. It's pretty light, but I have substituted the handle from an Edwin Jagger that I don't use (b/c it's TOO aggressive for me), so that has helped. a little. It's very EASY to use and almost impossible to cut yourself with it, but I don't think it gets as close as either of my Gillette Adjustables or my Gilette SuperSpeed.

I'm wondering if maybe it's the blade, as I've been using the ones they send with the razor (RK brand??). I think tomorrow I'll break out a brand new Derby (I know.....they're not super sharp either) and see if that makes any difference.

My biggest complaint is the hard to get places....for me, under the jaw line, neck, etc....As soon as I finish shaving I still have
a little bristle on the neck. So, I guess I'll just give it a good shot for a month or so, see if my technique with it improves or a better blade makes a difference, and if not, then add it to the collection, use it every 2nd or 3rd shave, (sigh).....
Change blades - I have a mild and a medium and get BBS shaves using Astra SP's or Gillette Nacets. I will admit I feel stubble sooner than I do with any of my Karve Overlanders. Many have noted that if you don't keep the angle correct, it doesn't cut anything. Shave with it for two weeks or better before you give up on it.

Change blades - I have a mild and a medium and get BBS shaves using Astra SP's or Gillette Nacets. I will admit I feel stubble sooner than I do with any of my Karve Overlanders. Many have noted that if you don't keep the angle correct, it doesn't cut anything. Shave with it for two weeks or better before you give up on it.
Thanks! That's the plan.....I probably need to improve my technique using the angle of the shaving head more efficiently.....

Today I put a brand new Derby Premium in the Henson, and off to the races!! I could tell when I rinsed my face after my first two passes (WTG and ATG) that performance was much improved. Then I added a little "buffing" with a light coating of lather after pass #2, and got a MUCH better shave!! Sitting here tonight rubbing my face, and still not noticing much, if any, stubble. Problem solved....thanks for the advice!

Top Bottom