What's new

Convince me I need a Henson

I typically go for more aggressive razors. My absolute favorite safety razor is a Gillette old type open comb with a feather blade, and my next favorite safety razor is probably my Gillette aristocrat adjustable, which I think is just a gold plated slim adjustable. I usually crank that up to 9 with a feather as well.

I would say 75% of my shaves are with a straight but I like having safety razors to change things up or if I'm in a rush.

I do have a merkur 38c and a Gillette heritage and several other "mild" razors. I find I don't like these as much as open combs or aggressive razors.

But for some reason I want to try a Henson. They claim they can get a shave close to a more aggressive razor with the feel of a mild due to its design. I don't know if I'm falling for marketing or if this is true because I haven't used one.

I have come very, very close the past few days of clicking place order but gave backed out every time.

Please help me. If I tend to prefer aggressive razors will this find a home in the dark corner of the cabinet and never get used? Or will this give me the performance of my aggressive razors with a more mild feel?

I tried a Henson, the mildest version (+), and of all the razors I sold the Henson was gone quicker than any other...but that's me.

I didn't like the block head design or being locked into a very precise shave angle, and I don't care for the light weight of aluminum razors...though I will commend Henson on making theirs solid and nicely crafted. Still, not enough to woo me.

I can get a nice, close , autopilot shave with just about any mild razor with more traditional design and geometry.

Seems like I'm convincing you to NOT get a Henson, but as already stated above: unless you try one, you will never know if it's right for YOU.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
You need convincing? That's not going to be a problem. So, you say that you use a straight most days, but you need a razor you can use safely, for when you are in a rush.

A Henson razor is very light, because it's made of aluminum. This light of a feather weightness, allows you to fling the razor around quickly, like it ain't no thing.

Also, it is true that Henson razors use a set blade angle, there is literally no way you can screw this up. So, when you can quickly move a razor, and not have to worry about the angle, that makes shaving quick easy!

Now combine that with the fact that, you'd have to apply so much pressure to cut yourself, even a beginner to wet shaving, is unlikely to cut themselves, then you got yourself a safe razor to boot.

The Henson razor was inventer, to help convert cartridge razor users, over to traditional safety razors. All I would do it I were you, is upgrade the handle with something better.

In regards to which Henson razor to buy? Knowing you like aggressive razors, I'd say go with ++ medium if your a daily stubble shaver.

Having said that however, if you go 2 or 3 days in between shaves, it would be a better idea to get the +++ titanium aggressive version.

Henson razors are made very well, built in the same factory that makes aeronautic parts l, out of the same materials , fir the aviation industry. Tight tolerances, CNC machining, top grade alloys, what's not to like?

If you really need a quick shaving razor, that can get you looking super fine in only 5-minutes, Henson is where you want to be. The whole reason I bought my Henson razor, was for quick shaving.

So what are you waiting for? Choose your Henson aggression, choose your Henson color, and hit that submit order button.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
If I tend to prefer aggressive razors will this find a home in the dark corner of the cabinet and never get used?
Guess where my Henson is located.
Or will this give me the performance of my aggressive razors with a more mild feel?
It's very mild and very thorough. It is not a bad design. By design I also never managed to get any closer than what I got, there is little way to lean into the shave. I regularly think about the Ti and the +++ aggressive versions and wonder if I would need a ++++ to be satisfied.

It is guaranteed to give you a very good shave, but I never got it as nice as with some of my more aggressive and efficient razors.

Some absolutely love the Henson design, but if you are into aggressive razors, this one might not do it. For mild but still very efficient the Lambda Ares rather comes to my mind than the Henson.

I tried a Henson, the mildest version (+), and of all the razors I sold the Henson was gone quicker than any other...but that's me.

I didn't like the block head design or being locked into a very precise shave angle, and I don't care for the light weight of aluminum razors...though I will commend Henson on making theirs solid and nicely crafted. Still, not enough to woo me.
Another reason I’d recommend the +++. The shave angle is far more locked with the mild. The aggressive has enough gap and exposure to be pretty accommodating to different angles.

1701516153544.png

But for some reason I want to try a Henson. They claim they can get a shave close to a more aggressive razor with the feel of a mild due to its design. I don't know if I'm falling for marketing or if this is true because I haven't used one.

I have been where you are.

My opinion? You don't need a Henson. If you enjoy the experience of shaving with a DE razor and the feeling of satisfaction you get when you finish your shave and know that your excellent results are a reward for the skills you have developed as a shaver, well you aren't going to get that from a Henson. As a straight user as well, I am guessing you probably have some idea what I am talking about.

I had other issues with it aside from the fact that it just wasn't engaging to use, some of which have been mentioned by other posters. Suffice to say that mine almost immediately ended up exactly as you describe - sitting in a dark corner gathering dust. After a couple of months I decided to sell it. It was the answer to a question I wasn't asking.

I don't like bashing on Henson - lots of people love them and they are selling a lot of razors - but I think their popularity is mainly driven by youngsters who don't already have exposure to DE shaving and see their advertising on TikTok. For me, the whole experience of using one was so different from a traditional razor that I kind of question whether they even belong in the DE shaving hobby.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You need everything, don't you? And this is a thing.

You've obviously got too much money - and this will help lower the stockpile of cash.

You can still get the bathroom door open, so there must be excess room in there.

You're going to die someday - why should your heirs get to decide how to spend this money?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The posting above inspired me to say, you just have to have a Henson to know if you love it or actually don't need it.
So unless you have something else you could spend money on, it's christmas time after all and we get bombarded with sales, WHY NOT. I just don't think aggressive razor guy and Henson goes well together.

My rule:

If I need convincing (a.k.a am not sure) to spend money on something, then I don’t really need it.

Apologies for not being an enabler…

B.

Addendum:

I went to the Henson website, to see what all the brouhaha is about, and now I am even less convinced that you need a Henson.

1. Aluminium is a good material for aircraft skins (now increasingly being superseded by composite materials), but it is not considered a good material for tools. (See point number 3.) And I consider a razor a tool.
2. It may be the 13th element in the periodic table, as Henson points out (hence the name AL13), but what has that to do with the qualities of a razor?
3. I cannot follow Henson’s claim that their Ti 5 titanium is ”lighter than steel but also stronger”. Titanium is obviously lighter, but the best TI 5 (Ti-5AL-2Sn-2Zr-4Mo-4Cr) in respect to tensile strength has a strength of 1125 MPa while alloy steels go up to 1881 MPa. Steel and titanium have plenty of strenght for a razor; it is aluminium, which is used for most Henson razors, that very much lacking in this respect (at best 78 MPa). But they don’t mention the strength of aluminium, do they?
4. Lastly, I would pause a moment before I buy a razor from a company where four of the seven guys whose faces are shown on the website sport facial hair. :001_cool:

In summary, Henson primarily uses a material (Al) that is IMO ill-suited for the purpose and makes dubious, untrustworthy and irrelevant claims.

Would I buy a Henson razor?
I think you already know the answer.

If you are looking for a razor that is light*, strong, well built, and designed by some engineers who, without too much hype, seem to know what they are talking about, go to the Tatara website.

B.

* Tatara titanium versions

Last edited:
I was long time convinced Henson is only for people using Cartrige razors, to make it easier with DE but it is not a good razor. But one post
LRod's Acquisition and everything else Thread! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/lrods-acquisition-and-everything-else-thread.626728/post-12409520
convinced me to buy Henson AL+++ and I was wrong. It shaves pretty well, very close and easy. It feels different for me, your angle is there and shaving is little boring, but it is very efficient and mild razor for me (+++) I prefer light razors, so it is with Overlander AL in same category for me perfect razors for daily use with no irritation, super easy to use also for newbies

Pretty sure aluminum is fine for a razor… I mean they make AR15 upper and lowers out of it so my guess is it’s gonna hold up ok for the rigors of shaving one’s face.

Whether or not the Henson will work for you is something only you can find out. They work great for me.

Do they shave as close on first pass as the blackbird? No, but I don’t expect that.

Is it the razor I grab most days because I want to quickly and mindlessly remove hair from my face? Absolutely

You can get one for $55 shipped from pastuers and if you don’t like it sell it for $50 on the BST.

Of course ymmv

Last edited:
Top Bottom