What's new

Computer network settings help

@Lightcs1776 (or anyone else)
Okay the router is an old Belkin wireless G.
20190320_151806.jpg

Here is the settings page. I don't see reserve.
20190320_151612.jpg

I hate to say it, but it doesn't look like the router provides the ability to reserve IP addresses. You could setup a Linux box running DHCP services but that seems a bit overkill to me. I would look at the scripting options again. It doesn't look to complex. Here is a sample, not one I created but from a search.

New-NetIPAddress –InterfaceAlias “Wired Ethernet Connection” –IPv4Address “192.168.0.1” –PrefixLength 24 -DefaultGateway 192.168.0.254

You would change the ipv4Address to the one you want to use and the gateway to the IP of your router. Save the file as filename. Ps1 (filename being whatever name you want, such as SetIP.ps1). If there are issues feel free to send me a message and I'll send you a number to call so we can work through it. I am a network engineer, but can reach out to one of the server folks at work if I get stuck.

I hate to say it, but it doesn't look like the router provides the ability to reserve IP addresses. You could setup a Linux box running DHCP services but that seems a bit overkill to me. I would look at the scripting options again. It doesn't look to complex. Here is a sample, not one I created but from a search.

New-NetIPAddress –InterfaceAlias “Wired Ethernet Connection” –IPv4Address “192.168.0.1” –PrefixLength 24 -DefaultGateway 192.168.0.254

You would change the ipv4Address to the one you want to use and the gateway to the IP of your router. Save the file as filename. Ps1 (filename being whatever name you want, such as SetIP.ps1). If there are issues feel free to send me a message and I'll send you a number to call so we can work through it. I am a network engineer, but can reach out to one of the server folks at work if I get stuck.
Thank you so much for your time. Does the fact I am wireless change anything? The above script says "Wired".

I also found this:
$IP = Read-Host -Prompt 'Please enter the IP Address. Format 192.168.x.x' $MaskBits = 24 # This means subnet mask = 255.255.255.0 $Gateway = "192.168.1.1" $Dns = "192.168.1.200" $IPType = "IPv4" # Retrieve the network adapter that you want to configure $adapter = Get-NetAdapter | ? {$_.Status -eq "up"} # Remove any existing IP, gateway from our ipv4 adapter If (($adapter | Get-NetIPConfiguration).IPv4Address.IPAddress) { $adapter | Remove-NetIPAddress -AddressFamily $IPType -Confirm:$false } If (($adapter | Get-NetIPConfiguration).Ipv4DefaultGateway) { $adapter | Remove-NetRoute -AddressFamily $IPType -Confirm:$false } # Configure the IP address and default gateway $adapter | New-NetIPAddress ` -AddressFamily $IPType ` -IPAddress $IP ` -PrefixLength $MaskBits ` -DefaultGateway $Gateway # Configure the DNS client server IP addresses $adapter | Set-DnsClientServerAddress -ServerAddresses $DNS

Would this work? It is suppose allow you to enter address. I have no clue what I'm looking at.

Or

would a different router be better?

Last edited:
I can't say for sure if that would work. My scripting skills are fairly minimal. You can try it, then set your IP back manually if it doesn't work, and then revamp the script.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

By the way, I will try out some scripts on my laptop at work, if I can get some time. It's a nice distraction from networking.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

What happens if you select the "More Info" link? Does it open a new screen or provide any more clues?

My router is not a Belkin but has a vaguely similar configuration layout. But instead of "More Info" has a button labeled "DHCP Reservation". My address range starts at 192.1.1.100, which was an arbitrary choice but a quick way to see what devices use a dynamic address (ones with triple digits) versus those in the 192.1.1.2 - 192.1.1.99 range which get the same address every time.

This discussion seems to imply that Belkin supports DHCP reservations, but it could be that the responders are talking about a different model.
Belkin's DHCP and ip reservations help

I would keep an eye on that "forever" lease time. If your network never has an issue that requires the router to be rebooted to clear-things-up then obviously it is not an issue. You may have well behaved clients that only reserve an address for 1 day or 1 week, or Belkin may not really mean forever but a longish time. Otherwise is this were an "open" network where new devices could connect and get an IP Address allocation for a duration of forever, the pool of addresses could be slowly consumed.

If you cannot find a IP reserve address option for that Belkin router, I would suggest trying to use the "Alternate Configuration" for the wireless adapter. Go to the wireless adapter properties->Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)-> select it choose the properties button->leave the General Tab as "Obtain Automatically" and input your Church details in the Alternate Configuration Tab, or you can do it vice versa, whatever you prefer -- As seen here:
upload_2019-3-21_21-46-37.png

If you cannot find a IP reserve address option for that Belkin router, I would suggest trying to use the "Alternate Configuration" for the wireless adapter. Go to the wireless adapter properties->Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)-> select it choose the properties button->leave the General Tab as "Obtain Automatically" and input your Church details in the Alternate Configuration Tab, or you can do it vice versa, whatever you prefer -- As seen here:
View attachment 965234
Thanks. What does this do?

It will allow the wireless adapter to have two different configurations without you having to manually switch it every time between the two networks, one for your home (obtain address automatically in the General tab) and a static address in the alternative configuration tab for your Church network.

Hmm, that probably won't work now that I took a closer look at your at church router... I thought all addresses were assigned statically on that network. The dhcp server is running on it. My apologies.

Top Bottom