What's new

Computer network settings help

I need some help. I have googled but can't find the answer I'm looking for.

Here is the setup:
At our church we have a laptop set up for projecting songs on a screen as well as to monitors for those on stage. It all works by connecting to everything through a router. Everything has a static addresses through a wireless network.

Here comes the problem:
I want to bring the laptop home to do updates as well and setup services at home. When I come home I have to change the IP address to dynamic to connect to my wireless network at home. The problem is when I get back to the church. When I connect to the church's network it is assigned a new address so it won't communicate with everything else. I have to go into the settings and set it to be static and manually assign it to the original static address it had before. It is a pain in the butt but it works.
Now I have other people who want to take the laptop home and do other things with it. The issue is when they bring it back no one else know how to go through the whole revert it back to static thing.

Help:
Is there an easy way to apply a static address to the laptop when it it returned to the church? Is there a bat file that can be created so that someone can just click on an icon and everything can be automatically set to what is needed? Is there any other way to have a one click option that anyone can use? The computer is running windows 10.

Thanks

You can use Windows power shell to create a script. However, it might be easier you to configure your wireless router to use DHCP reservations. Then the device would automatically be assigned the same IP, based on the MAC address.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Agree, setup the church network to use DHCP and reservations, set laptop to use DHCP, best scenario for both worlds.

Static addresses should not be necessary.

-Stephen

How would I go about creating a script? Any pointers?

Not sure what this is, will look into it.
I haven't managed servers in years, and my programming skills are weak. However, if you search for power shell scripts, you will probably find something already written that will only take a little tweaking. Here are a couple links to get you started.

How to Change Your IP Address Using PowerShell

How To Set an IP Address with PowerShell -- Microsoft Certified Professional Magazine Online

If you can go the route of DHCP reservations, I can probably help with that. I would just need the vendor and model of the wireless router to lookup where in the GUI that you would use to set the reservations.

Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction. I'll grab the router information tomorrow and see what I can do. If I get stuck then I'll post back here.

If the laptop has a Cat. 5 connection, the simplest is to use wi-fi in one place, and wired connection in the other. That may not be possible, but if the router is close to the laptop in church, you could do a static wired connection and have a dynamic wi-fi connection.

If the laptop has a Cat. 5 connection, the simplest is to use wi-fi in one place, and wired connection in the other. That may not be possible, but if the router is close to the laptop in church, you could do a static wired connection and have a dynamic wi-fi connection.
The laptop is in back far from the router.

Did I not use the term correctly?
It was written to be funny. I used to write a lot of batch files, which is what those .bat fikes actually are. Most people now use more powerful scripting tools, such as Powershell, Perl, php, jscript, etc.

It was written to be funny. I used to write a lot of batch files, which is what those .bat fikes actually are. Most people now use more powerful scripting tools, such as Powershell, Perl, php, jscript, etc.

I havent done anything like this in along time.......obviously.

Did I not use the term correctly?
Probably correct. I dunno.
I've been a Mac guy since 1986.

Although, I have discovered the usefulness of having Lubuntu (a species of Linux) execute a terminal command on startup that disables the Caps Lock key. I guess that's pretty much like running a batch file. (This is on an old under-powered laptop that was originally crippled with Windows 10.)

Probably correct. I dunno.
I've been a Mac guy since 1986.

Although, I have discovered the usefulness of having Lubuntu (a species of Linux) execute a terminal command on startup that disables the Caps Lock key. I guess that's pretty much like running a batch file. (This is on an old under-powered laptop that was originally crippled with Windows 10.)
I must admit, I am a bit jealous. I plan on getting a Mac this year for my wife. My laptop has run various flavors of Linux for the past 20 years or so. I like it, favoring Mint for the past few years. However, Macs just have a great history of excellent GUIs and very few failures.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Buy a second laptop for home? So you dont have to change settings like a cheap chromebook maybe

I don't think I understood the need for a static IP.
In this situation the laptop has software that sends the images a projector and to the stage computers (since the main screen is behind those on the stage we have a few tablets we use as monitors) the software we use looks for everything at the original address you set it up at.
Hope that makes sense.

I don't know why it would use IP address instead of computer name then. They have locked down that computer with that arrangement.
The system we set up used a desktop computer. You could remote into the desktop if you needed to do anything on that machine.

Top Bottom