What's new

Display settings?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
This may well be a local or PEBKAC issue, so apologies in advance if this is not a site issue...

I am in the throws of configuring a new tablet, to overcome some obstacles that my antiquated phone was throwing up. In Firefox I am getting easily readable sized text, but in Brave, I am not. However in Brave, the forum is far more usable for me in every other respect, so I'm hoping I can iron out this last wrinkle.

I have set the text size larger on the tablet itself, and also increased text size with the browser's "accessibility" settings. This has increased the text in the address bar, and the text box for me posting, but not on forum menus, or on the posted boards themselves (including PMs). I was wondering if there's a forum setting somewhere that is overriding the device and browser settings. I have looked through my user settings, and cant find any options for me to tweak text size. Do you admin/mods know if there's anything at your end locking in the text size for this browser, or if there's a setting somewhere for me to adjust it that I haven't discovered yet?

Thanks for any insights you can provide. 🍻

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
A quick screenshot, to better illustrate how things look here...

Screenshot_20240217-192114.png

Eben Stone

Staff member
I have the same issues.

I have found two solutions that work:

A) Opera browser (not Opera Mini). It is the only browser that I am aware of that has a useful pinch-to-zoom feature that also rewraps the text so you don't have to scroll left and right.

B) Reading glasses.

Currently I use reading glasses because I gave up on Opera because it refuses to sync my bookmarks and passwords between my Android phone and Linux PC.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't use Brave, but most browsers have a zoom function (typically Ctrl+) to increase the page text size. Brave's is documented here: How to Adjust Text Size on Brave Browser | Browser Tips | SigmaOS - https://sigmaos.com/tips/browsers/how-to-adjust-text-size-on-brave-browser

Does that not work?

i can zoom with a pinch/expand gesture on screen, which is what the Ctrl + does, and that's what I'm using as a workaround at the moment. It's a true zoom though, meaning the page will expand sideways off the screen, so I might have to manipulate it back and forth to read, depending how much I need to zoom in. On this device (or this operating system), there aren't any text size features under the "appearance" settings. There is a scroll bar in the "accessibility" settings, but as I said in the OP, it's only increasing the text in the text box to post, and the address bar, not the forum posts on the boards, or any menus.

A) Opera browser (not Opera Mini). It is the only browser that I am aware of that has a useful pinch-to-zoom feature that also rewraps the text so you don't have to scroll left and right.

Firefox usually does a good job of increasing and wrapping text on my laptop, I havent needed it on this device though, as the device and browser settings have done it for me.

B) Reading glasses.

I already wear prescription specs

It's a true zoom though, meaning the page will expand sideways off the screen,

That's a fail for the browser, in my view. Zoom should only increase the font size, for accessibility. Short of another browser, your only other option would likely be a snippet of custom CSS, assuming Brave has some ability for that.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The site uses cookies for various purposes.
Some browsers which prevent acceptance of cookies rather than accepting them, then deleting them on exit can cause issues.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The site uses cookies for various purposes.
Some browsers which prevent acceptance of cookies rather than accepting them, then deleting them on exit can cause issues.

Aaah! Interesting. Do you think that may be the case here?

I never considered that it may be a cookie issue, because there isn't (unless I'm missing it) option for it to be user configured. So it it can't be changed, it doesn't have to be remembered. Cookies do all kinds of stuff we don't always know about though, so I suppose it is possible.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That's a fail for the browser, in my view. Zoom should only increase the font size, for accessibility. Short of another browser, your only other option would likely be a snippet of custom CSS, assuming Brave has some ability for that.

Yeah, I thought it was weird too. Maybe it's an android thing though. I don't have it set up on my laptop to check.

Top Bottom