What's new

Cold Water Leaves Less Soap Scum Than Warm

Howdy. For the last bit of Lent, I didn’t use warm water in the sink for my shaves. What I noticed is that when I drained the sink, a LOT less soap scum was left behind. I switched back to warm water after Easter, and the heavy ring of soap scum has returned. Hmm. Has anyone else made this observation? (Probably. There’s nothing new under the sun, and there are many lifetimes’ worth of shaving experience on B&B.)

Did you mean soap scum around your sink? Haven’t noticed this behavior as I clean my sink daily, but if there is less scum on the sink I’d wonder if there’s more scum/residue left in the brush. Not saying there is. Just that I don’t know for sure.

I've heard it said before by people that are far more knowledgeable about soap than I am that the solubility of soap in water is higher as the temperature of the water drops. I use that as my justification to rinse my shaving brushes using both hot and cold water after my shaves.

This is interesting, cuz I recently found that my face prefers cold water shaves.
But cold water doesn't seem to rinse the razor well enough at all between passes, even if I hold it super low in the sink.
I have to use hot water for that.

It's true that soap and detergents are more soluble in cold water. That's why washing machines default to cold water rinses. It's also why hot water cleans better than cold water. You can demonstrate this by adding dishwashing liquid to two bottles, then rinsing one with cold water and the other with hot water. The latter takes much longer.

Cold water is also kinder to your brush.

Regardless, cold water shaves are refreshing. I love me an ice cold scuttle, especially in the summer.

Did you mean soap scum around your sink? Haven’t noticed this behavior as I clean my sink daily,
I mean when I drain the sink, the ring of soap that is left behind from the water’s surface to about an inch down is much thicker and heavier than when I use cold water. It almost drains clean when I use cold water. And yes, I clean my sink, too. I don’t leave the residue.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
If people are worried about soap residue in their sink basin for some reason, just wipe it away with a rag, or if you don't want to dirty a rag, wipe it with a baby wipe, there done, problem solved.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
If people are worried about soap residue in their sink basin for some reason, just wipe it away with a rag, or if you don't want to dirty a rag, wipe it with a baby wipe, there done, problem solved.
Chris,
(side note..... I did write a sarcastic, snarky comment about you being too reasonable here, but I did delete it. Not everyone gets my sense of humor and I didn't want to offend anyone. You would have taken it the right way, I'm sure.)

It really is that simple, isn't it? if something is dirty, clean it the way you enjoy cleaning. There are quite a few options.

If your sink has water in it... and you dip your razor in that sink water to clean it as you're shaving.... hot or cold water, you're going to need to clean it.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Chris,
(side note..... I did write a sarcastic, snarky comment about you being too reasonable here, but I did delete it. Not everyone gets my sense of humor and I didn't want to offend anyone. You would have taken it the right way, I'm sure.)

It really is that simple, isn't it? if something is dirty, clean it the way you enjoy cleaning. There are quite a few options.

If your sink has water in it... and you dip your razor in that sink water to clean it as you're shaving.... hot or cold water, you're going to need to clean it.

Exactly!

Look, I don't have the cleanest bathroom in the world, but lets be honest, I am living in a very old home, the wallpaper on the walls alone is worn out and needs replaced! But if you asked me, what would I rather spend money on, replacing the wallpaper and molding, or spend it on shaving supplies? Well, screw the wallpaper, I want shaving supplies!

Having said that yes, if the sink or counter is dirty, clean it! Now I agree, sometimes things are hard to get cleaned, like plastic sink basins, trust me, I know. But this is why I bought a steam cleaner 3-years ago. I don't use it that often, but when I need to do a deep and powerful clean on something, I fire that puppy up and go to town!

BTW, did you know cleaning soap scum off shower doors is quite easy with steam cleaners? You just got to be careful to not get the heat too hot directly onto the glass, but using the brush tip, wow, you go from white haze to crystal clear in seconds, its a beautiful thing!

So ya, I may not live in the most cleanest house in the world, but dang it, if the sink is dirty, wipe it clean! If your having difficulty penetrating the scum, use a steam cleaner. And your right Phoenix, I would rather not put my brush in a sink that has never been cleaned!

And yes, you do have a funny sense of humor Phoenix, I remember you pulling that humor on me when you were brand new on the site. At first I thought you were serious, but then I realized you messing with me, so I just played along till you got bored. LMAO! :lol:

I wasn't aware the temperature of the water impacted the amount of soap residue that remains. I don't fill my sink, I turn the faucet on & rinse my razor, then turn the water off, as I need to rinse the razor. And for cleaning, I keep a small spray bottle of vinegar under the sink so when I need to clean the sink, the vinegar cuts right through any soap residue.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have not noticed a lot of difference, If you want to reduce the amount of soap scum in the sink I just put a little plastic Glade sandwich container under the tap and what I found there is enough water for my needs with less use of opening and closing the valves on the tap.
What I find is the when rinsing face or cleaning razor it protects the razor better from hitting the metal basin sides and uses a lot less water + water will over flow out of the small container (soap is usually on top) and is easier for clean up because there is less footprint of area of sink basin for soap contact. Also when cleaning razor parts there is less chance of losing parts down the sink.
Been doing this for years and found it the best method for myself. I just place my lather bowl inside the plastic container(protects the bowl) when done to reduce that foot print on a limited space counter top.
(This is a old archive photo taken in 2018 to explain better my method & others no doubt do something similar.)
20180618_181002_crop_707x488[83843] (2).jpg
Plastic rinsing bowl 2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Just use a soaking wet Magic Eraser pad to wipe the soap scum away. It takes about 30 seconds.

This wasn’t a post about cleaning the sink. I simply noticed that when I use cold water, there is less reside when I drain the sink than when I use hot water. Just an observation.

Top Bottom