What's new

Clothes Mending

My mother and grandmother both worked in sewing factories and did quite a bit of home sewing, plus I took Home Economics in high school, so I was exposed to sewing by hand and machines. Hand repairs are no big deal. I have almost always had a sewing machine. I often tailor fit my shirts. I just did a couple a few weeks ago.

For rips and tears in jeans, I often use Goop adhesive. I have 3 or 4 pairs of jeans in circulation that have had the corners of the rear pockets glued back. I just pull the fabric back together and apply Goop on the inside. The washer and dryer don't affect the product.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Used to do a lot more. Hands have tremors making repairs more difficult. In the 60's and 70's is was easy to have garments repaired. Even into the 80's once you found a good tailor or seamstress repairs were readily available.

Clothing today is often inferior cheap imports. Often not worth the effort. These get repurposed as rags or for other uses.
You can find clothing of the same quality we got in the 1960s , but it commands a premium. I find that over the very long haul it is justifiable. Plus it keeps crafts alive and fellow Americans employed. I just buy less clothing.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Since I started trying my hand at sewing (earlier in the thread), I have decided to have a go at making a couple of items from scratch. Hand sewn, I might add. I can't use a machine due to my neuro complications.

I have bought a few metres of cheap fabric to try out first, and if it seems like a viable hobby (for me), I might upgrade to better fabrics later. I'm just waiting for a shirt pattern to arrive in the mail, before I start cutting anything, but I still have a few alterations in my "in tray" first, as I only get good enough working vision/coordination occasionally.

Top Bottom