What's new

Cleaning/Polishing Ebonite Brush Handle

I have a Muhle Purist Badger Silvertip with an Ebonite handle. I am using this brush almost daily and have realized that over time the Ebonite handle seems to "dull". This seems to be scale oxidation as I cannot remove it by normal cleaning. I have done some research on the material and found that pipe stems are also made of ebonite. I procured a pipe stem cleaner and polish and have treated the handle with those products and lots of elbow grease twice so far. While I am able to polish the handle to a "mirror" shine, I somehow can't seem to be able to remove the whitish dullness. I don't dare to use any other products such as oils or harsh abrasives on the handle.

Do you guys happen to have a recommended and relatively safe cleaning / polishing procedure which may help to eliminate / reduce this dullness on my brush handle? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

I've used Novus on ebonite fountain pens (it comes in three grades, start with the lightest - 1).

Make sure you keep the brush out of direct sunlight, and as dry as possible; ebonite reacts poorly to both.

Once it is shiny, you can use Renaissance Wax to form a protective cover, but you'll need to re-apply as it won't last long with the sort of vigorous handling you'd expect of a brush.

I have a Muhle Purist Badger Silvertip with an Ebonite handle. I am using this brush almost daily and have realized that over time the Ebonite handle seems to "dull". This seems to be scale oxidation as I cannot remove it by normal cleaning.

Do you guys happen to have a recommended and relatively safe cleaning / polishing procedure which may help to eliminate / reduce this dullness on my brush handle? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

If the material is really Ebonite and not just plastic that looks like Ebonite, it normally develops an oxidized layer over time. I wouldn't worry too much about oil, as Ebonite already contains linseed oil. Wax should disguise the oxidation.

Thank you guys so much for the quick replies and great advice. I'll keep in mind to avoid direct sunlight and moisture on the handle.

I'm really grateful for your knowledge on this matter.

Top Bottom