What's new

Cheap wines from the 70's/80's

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Then Im cheap. There is no wine in the world worth more than 20-30 dollars to me. LOL
I agree that you can find absolutely spectacular wines in the $30 and under range. I have some favorites in the under $20 range. While they may not be worth more, that is awfully subjective, the high end wines I mentioned are simply incredible, a noticeably different experience. I would also note that some wines, small vineyard Oregon Pinot Noirs for example, are quite labor intensive, and that is a big part of why they are so expensive. However, when you move into the over $40 range, it seems you are paying a hefty premium for rarity and good fortune.

Screenshot 2024-04-28 112731.jpg
fd905ca1ffc61847c21121e226831d92.jpg

I agree that you can find absolutely spectacular wines in the $30 and under range. I have some favorites in the under $20 range. While they may not be worth more, that is awfully subjective, the high end wines I mentioned are simply incredible, a noticeably different experience. I would also note that some wines, small vineyard Oregon Pinot Noirs for example, are quite labor intensive, and that is a big part of why they are so expensive. However, when you move into the over $40 range, it seems you are paying a hefty premium for rarity and good fortune.
If you like the Oregon Pinot Noirs you should try those from the Walla Walla valley. There are a couple that are excellent. If you want to go a bit heavier, there are some excellent Syrah wines from that area as well.

From 77 to 79 (sophomore to senior year of HS) it was all about getting wasted: Boones Farm Strawberry Hill and Schlitz Malt Liquor (the Bull).
But from 81 to 83 (college), I really enjoyed dirt cheap German spätleses and ausleses from Trader Joe's.

Ya know Mad Dog 20/20, Ripple, etc. What was your go to cheap wine? I say that (wine) very loosely.

Tickled Pink seems to be in the very back corner of my brain.
Honestly, I don't have a favorite. It was a matter of you're a 70's teenager at a party and you drink what's there. I have some good memories, but that's about it. I drink much better wine these days.

Top Bottom