What's new

Chanel Les Exclusifs - Thoughts?

The Chanel Les Exclusifs line seems to be a polarizing one. The LE line more so than their designer offerings. I currently own and love Sycomore and Cuir de Russie.

I just ordered decants of:

Coromandel (not sure how in the $%#^ I have managed not to try this one yet, but it certainly gets a lot of love.....)
Bois des Iles (More fem version of Egoiste? It is said that Egoiste was inspired by this one)

How about you guys - any love or hate out there for this line? Any other must tries?

I'm a Sycomore fan. Last time I was in their store I tried Coromandel and really enjoyed. Eau De Cologne was also nice.

Hmmmm other must tries....how about the extraits!?

Sadly Sycomore doesn't come in extrait form.

Mhhmmmm. I have Cuir de Russie in the parfum concentration and it's heavenly. Much richer than the EdT imo...

I'm a Sycomore fan. Last time I was in their store I tried Coromandel and really enjoyed. Eau De Cologne was also nice.

I've read that EdC is nice, but not really anything special/unique and very short lived. I'd still like to try it. I should have ordered a sample of it with the others.

Sycomore is one of my favorite vetivers, and I use it often. If you like the sweetness of Sycomore, give Hermes Tonka a try- vetiver with vanilla and orange notes.

For a more earthy vetiver, I use Dior Vetiver. The only downside to that is that they only sell it out of the Las Vegas Caesar's Palace store. Another earthy vetiver I favor is Givenchy's Vetiver re-issue.

For a raw vetiver experience, MPG Route de Vetiver is as in-your-face as you can get. Think vetiver with gasoline and motor oil.

I think Sycomore is an excellent slightly smoky vetiver, and it's one any vetiver lover should try, although I can't say it's the holy grail of vetivers that some, including Turin, say it is. But that's just me, and it may be that 1) my nose doesn't pick up or appreciate the excellent nuances that others do - very likely, and/or 2) I still prefer Guerlain Vetiver, which may be a "first love" issue for me as far as vetivers go.

The first couple of times I wore Coromandel I thought it was very elegant and long lasting, and loved it as the rich, sophisticated, elegant cousin to the much louder, earthier, rougher, scruffier Borneo 1834, which I also like a lot.

I don't think I've tried any other in the Les Exclusifs line.

As an aside, I have been reminded several times during the past couple of months that how scents impress me, what they smell like, how much I enjoy them, etc., can change from time to time, either a little, or a lot.

Sycomore is one of my favorite vetivers, and I use it often. If you like the sweetness of Sycomore, give Hermes Tonka a try- vetiver with vanilla and orange notes.

For a more earthy vetiver, I use Dior Vetiver. The only downside to that is that they only sell it out of the Las Vegas Caesar's Palace store. Another earthy vetiver I favor is Givenchy's Vetiver re-issue.

For a raw vetiver experience, MPG Route de Vetiver is as in-your-face as you can get. Think vetiver with gasoline and motor oil.

Yep, I've tried all of these and I like them all. Sycomore is my favorite of the bunch followed by the Dior. Add a touch of black currant to your MPG description and it's pretty dead on!

Last edited:
I think Sycomore is an excellent slightly smoky vetiver, and it's one any vetiver lover should try, although I can't say it's the holy grail of vetivers that some, including Turin, say it is. But that's just me, and it may be that 1) my nose doesn't pick up or appreciate the excellent nuances that others do - very likely, and/or 2) I still prefer Guerlain Vetiver, which may be a "first love" issue for me as far as vetivers go.

The first couple of times I wore Coromandel I thought it was very elegant and long lasting, and loved it as the rich, sophisticated, elegant cousin to the much louder, earthier, rougher, scruffier Borneo 1834, which I also like a lot.

I don't think I've tried any other in the Les Exclusifs line.

As an aside, I have been reminded several times during the past couple of months that how scents impress me, what they smell like, how much I enjoy them, etc., can change from time to time, either a little, or a lot.

Thanks Randy. Does that mean your opinion of Coromandel has changed since those first couple of times? :)

I just thought Borneo 1834 was ok. It's heavy on the patch which isn't typically a good thing for me. I fear that Coromandel may also venture down this road...

Thanks Randy. Does that mean your opinion of Coromandel has changed since those first couple of times? :)

I just thought Borneo 1834 was ok. It's heavy on the patch which isn't typically a good thing for me. I fear that Coromandel may also venture down this road...

I'm not sure yet where I am with Coromandel, Tim. It does have a bit of cocoa to go with the patchouli, and it's not as deeply earthy as most patchoulis. I still like it, just not sure I like it as much as my first impression. Of course it's completely possible that I will use it again and decide it's the best scent since Azzaro. Or Odori Tobacco! :001_cool:

I was kind of the same way with Borneo 1834. Because it gives a sort of startling first impression, it blew me away. But now I'd be more inclined to describe it as good, maybe very good, but possibly not great.

31 Rue Cambon

It's my favorite from the line but it's my wife's signature scent. It smells fantastic on her and I'm always thinking I'm going to wear it but I never do. I bought it for myself, you know.

Otherwise, Bois des Iles and Coromandel are amazing. The patchouli in Coromandel is mild, has a nice cozy feel to it. Nothing heady or edgy about it. Bois des Iles is similar in effect but substitute sandalwood for patchouli.

Sycomore is great but unimpressive - but I know how much love there is for it.

Almost the whole line is great.

I particularly like Cuir de Russe, Sycomore, Coromandel & Bois des Iles.

I've been dying to find Cuir de Russe in pure parfum though.

I like Sycomore, Coromandel and Bois des Iles, but I think the whole line is overpriced like any other exclusiv versions (Dior and Hermessence).

Sycomore was the only one that I used to own. It was my favourite vetiver at the time but I gave up on it after a while - the aldehydes in the opening got on my nerves a bit. Although I have to admit the Sycomore dry-down was magnificent.

I've now decided I only like vetiver in blends of fragrances. My favourite such fragrance remains as Terre d' Hermes (either in EdT or Parfum).

Back to the original point about Chanel and the 'les exclusifs' range. My only Chanel is now one of my favourite fragrances - Égoïste. It's not part of the 'les exclusifs' range as such, but it does remain somewhat an 'exclusive' scent as you can only get it from Chanel counters at large department stores. Well, at least that's the story here in the UK. This is the original Égoïste I'm talking about; not the 'Platinum' version.

31 Rue Cambon

It's my favorite from the line but it's my wife's signature scent. It smells fantastic on her and I'm always thinking I'm going to wear it but I never do. I bought it for myself, you know.

Otherwise, Bois des Iles and Coromandel are amazing. The patchouli in Coromandel is mild, has a nice cozy feel to it. Nothing heady or edgy about it. Bois des Iles is similar in effect but substitute sandalwood for patchouli.

Sycomore is great but unimpressive - but I know how much love there is for it.

I knew I should have consulted you before ordering my samples. I should have added 31 to the list! As for Sycomore, it is quite impressive! That is why there is so much love for it. Probably my favorite vetiver at the moment. Don't worry, I still do like Guerlain's, but they are so far apart they fill totally different roles in the 'drobe.

Almost the whole line is great.

I particularly like Cuir de Russe, Sycomore, Coromandel & Bois des Iles.

I've been dying to find Cuir de Russe in pure parfum though.

I realize you aren't in the US, but the CdR in parfum concentration is quite readily available at the Chanel boutiques here, or at least it was when I got mine about 6 months ago. Can they not ship to you?

Sycomore was the only one that I used to own. It was my favourite vetiver at the time but I gave up on it after a while - the aldehydes in the opening got on my nerves a bit. Although I have to admit the Sycomore dry-down was magnificent.

I've now decided I only like vetiver in blends of fragrances. My favourite such fragrance remains as Terre d' Hermes (either in EdT or Parfum).

Back to the original point about Chanel and the 'les exclusifs' range. My only Chanel is now one of my favourite fragrances - Égoïste. It's not part of the 'les exclusifs' range as such, but it does remain somewhat an 'exclusive' scent as you can only get it from Chanel counters at large department stores. Well, at least that's the story here in the UK. This is the original Égoïste I'm talking about; not the 'Platinum' version.

I like Egoiste ok. It just didn't strike me as great or bottle worthy. I know it has probably the largest cult following of any Chanel masculine, so they must have done something right.

I like Egoiste ok. It just didn't strike me as great or bottle worthy. I know it has probably the largest cult following of any Chanel masculine, so they must have done something right.

My experience with it was only recent and I was unlucky enough to sample it at Selfridges in London. The tester they had out was appalling (perhaps it's been sat there at the counter for a few 100 years?). I only knew the fragrance was what I wanted because a fellow reader on Basenotes was kind enough to send me a sample/decant of it. I eventually bought it from Selfridges, but I can totally understand why some people might think this scent is just 'OK' and not full bottle worthy.

Sycomore is one of my favorites. I have a couple of decants of Coromandel. To me it is a little sweet but I enjoy the way it smells. One of my friends at work told me I smelled like a french whore:blink:.... and my wife doesn't like it so there's that...
Cuir de russie and Bois de Iles are on my to do list

Admittedly , I new to the LE line but the two I have sampled I love. Sycamore is very nice, Even better ,in my opinion is Cuir De Russie

Top Bottom