What's new

CF Cryogen

This morning I did a fast, one pass shave just before hitting the woods to go to work.
I decided to give the CF Cryogen a try...
The Good:
With its very heavy menthol, it feels great on your face (you have to REALLY like menthol, gents!). After being outside for an hour, I would still get a great cooling effect every time the wind blew.
The Bad:
While the cooling effect is great, I wish it smelled different. The scent will be discussed in a sec...
The Ugly:
The only scent this AS has is a "medical, rest home" smell. It smells like something my grandparents use to use for aching muscles and joints. The upside to this is, the scent doesn't last long. Which is a good thing, especially if you don't want to be hit on by an 80 yr. old widow!

I like the effects of this AS, but I don't like the smell. It will probably be something I wear when nobody is around.

Thanks for the review!

Do you know if the scent matches the shave soap? I have the soap, and love the scent as well as the ever so painfully delicious menthol.

Thanks for the review!

Do you know if the scent matches the shave soap? I have the soap, and love the scent as well as the ever so painfully delicious menthol.
I haven't tried the soap yet, but I would like to. Sooner rather than later!

The scent only lasts minutes for me and hasn't interfered with my cologne.
It provides a great cooling effect and that's the reason I picked it up.

I haven't tried the soap yet, but I would like to. Sooner rather than later!

If you enjoy menthol then you will love the soap. It is my only CF product and I absolutely love it. It lathers incredibly easy and if I face lather and shave my skin is frozen by the end of the shave and I couldn't be happier about that.

I tried it again tonight so my wife could smell it. I walked into the room and right away she asked why I was wearing Vicks Vapor Rub?!

This morning I did a fast, one pass shave just before hitting the woods to go to work.
I decided to give the CF Cryogen a try...
The Good:
With its very heavy menthol, it feels great on your face (you have to REALLY like menthol, gents!). After being outside for an hour, I would still get a great cooling effect every time the wind blew.
The Bad:
While the cooling effect is great, I wish it smelled different. The scent will be discussed in a sec...
The Ugly:
The only scent this AS has is a "medical, rest home" smell. It smells like something my grandparents use to use for aching muscles and joints. The upside to this is, the scent doesn't last long. Which is a good thing, especially if you don't want to be hit on by an 80 yr. old widow!

I like the effects of this AS, but I don't like the smell. It will probably be something I wear when nobody is around.

Nice review. I need to try some. I have the soap and it's cold! The scent you are describing is that of menthol. It's what the Cryogen soap and AS are all about. It's not a purposeful scent but one that cannot be avoided with how much is in it. :) Luckily, the menthol smell is fleeting and you can toss on some other cologne or AS with your preferred scent afterward.

Nice review. I need to try some. I have the soap and it's cold! The scent you are describing is that of menthol. It's what the Cryogen soap and AS are all about. It's not a purposeful scent but one that cannot be avoided with how much is in it. :) Luckily, the menthol smell is fleeting and you can toss on some other cologne or AS with your preferred scent afterward.
I understand that it's a menthol scent, I just wish they would have added some other scent to it... ANY SCENT.
As it is now, it reminds me of Vicks Vapor Rub.

Ahh. Not sure why they do not. I guess it is to stay neutral with the unique and stand out offering of mega menthol. Fine Snake Bite is the same way. Smells like vodka and menthol. Ha. Good stuff. Osage Rub also smells very menthol like.

I think even if this had a scent the menthol smell would still be very evident for 10-15 minutes and likely overpower something else.

Have you tried Kramperts Frost Bite yet? It's super cold too but has a nice Frankincense smell that comes on for awhile after the menthol. It's also very healing and an excellent cold aftershave.

Last edited:
Ahh. Not sure why they do not. I guess it is to stay neutral with the unique and stand out offering of mega menthol. Fine Snake Bite is the same way. Smells like vodka and menthol. Ha. Good stuff. Osage Rub also smells very menthol like.

I think even if this had a scent the menthol smell would still be very evident for 10-15 minutes and likely overpower something else.

Have you tried Kramperts Frost Bite yet? It's super cold too but has a nice Frankincense smell that comes on for awhile after the menthol. It's also very healing and an excellent cold aftershave.
Thanks for the recommendation, Chronarch! I'll see if I can get my hands on some.

Not a problem man! It's one I do enjoy. While not as cold as Fine Snake bite or Cryogen (speculation) it has a definite menthol kick that is higher than some of the other mentholated AS'. And has a definite scent profile that pairs well with the menthol. The scent is not loud nor does it last a long while. You can definitely smell it for a bit though. Hard to describe it but Frankincense is said to smell woodsy, which is close enough I guess. Ha.

Another option is to buy some menthol crystals and add some to your other aftershaves. I have yet to try it but I have seen a bunch of discussions in this forum about it.

Another option is to buy some menthol crystals and add some to your other aftershaves. I have yet to try it but I have seen a bunch of discussions in this forum about it.

If you enjoy menthol, you really need to get some crystals. They are pretty cheap and last a long time. I got 2oz for $6-7 on amazon and should last a long time!

Tried Cryogen for the first time time... Two words... HOLY SH@T! Seriously though, I absolutely love it! This will be a staple in my rotation.

Cheers!

I used Cryogen a couple of days ago. Both the soap and the AS. I really liked it and the post shave feel was very nice. Today I shaved with QCS Vostok followed by Floid Blue. Another really nice post shave feel. Just for grins I opened both soaps just to smell. To me they were identical. All you can smell is the menthol which is sort of medicinal but I don't mind it at all. Very refreshing.

Tried Cryogen for the first time time... Two words... HOLY SH@T! Seriously though, I absolutely love it! This will be a staple in my rotation.

Cheers!

Yeah it definitely catches you off guard the first time! I always say it's a bit much but I still love the stuff, although I prefer to superlather it with DRH Eucalyptus cream unless I'm doing an icewater shave, then it's straight up.

Yeah it definitely catches you off guard the first time! I always say it's a bit much but I still love the stuff, although I prefer to superlather it with DRH Eucalyptus cream unless I'm doing an icewater shave, then it's straight up.
Nice... I think I need to order the soap too!

Top Bottom