What's new

CBLindsay's Journey into Mixed Blade Mastery

I see a theme here gents, you and Pete are at about the same number of shave and at a turning point, Things will get better from here, and sounds like a fantastic morning!! Congrats and when you do find the Musgo, Buy multiples as you never know when they will be out of stock, glad you like it

Okay wow wow! A shave in my Honor!

Is this my official induction into the CEC?

First off you are right I will definitely need to try the Sextoblade eventually but man that thing looks mean!

Glad you are still liking the Soap Commander it really is a great soap.

The B&M Sample I sent you was from a bunch of samplings I got when they were getting feedback on the scent. You can now buy a full bottle here https://www.barristerandmann.com/co...ducts/cologne-russe-alcohol-aftershave-splash

and here is the description for you lurkers it really is a nice aftershave in my opinion:

Based on one of the oldest forms of perfume, Cologne Russe is a throwback to a scent created by the House of Guerlain for the Russian Royal Family and discontinued in the early twentieth century. Notes of lemon, bergamot, petitgrain, and herbs dry down to violet, rose, bay, and amber. The scent is distinctly warmer than most other cologne-type fragrances, owing largely to its inclusion of castoreum, benzoin, and vanilla. Clean and elegant without the aloofness of some other scents, Cologne Russe is a perfect way to finish your shave and brighten your morning after a cold, bitter winter.

Cool to have you along. If you have not tried one of the shavettes you should, I've seen your photo and you could use a couple of scars ...don't worry the slices heal really quickly.

Everyone can use a few scars! Just ups the difficulty shaving around them later (which I think is worth more bonus points)

WOOHOO!! Awesome Shave Chris and definitely a CEC Themed Shave for sure:thumbup: Very much hoping you can get the diamond spray and it works as well as it does for me for a little added Umph to the keenness while still maintaining the comfort of the Coticule:thumbup1:

Okay wow wow! A shave in my Honor!

Is this my official induction into the CEC?

First off you are right I will definitely need to try the Sextoblade eventually but man that thing looks mean!

Glad you are still liking the Soap Commander it really is a great soap.

The B&M Sample I sent you was from a bunch of samplings I got when they were getting feedback on the scent. You can now buy a full bottle here https://www.barristerandmann.com/co...ducts/cologne-russe-alcohol-aftershave-splash

and here is the description for you lurkers it really is a nice aftershave in my opinion:

Based on one of the oldest forms of perfume, Cologne Russe is a throwback to a scent created by the House of Guerlain for the Russian Royal Family and discontinued in the early twentieth century. Notes of lemon, bergamot, petitgrain, and herbs dry down to violet, rose, bay, and amber. The scent is distinctly warmer than most other cologne-type fragrances, owing largely to its inclusion of castoreum, benzoin, and vanilla. Clean and elegant without the aloofness of some other scents, Cologne Russe is a perfect way to finish your shave and brighten your morning after a cold, bitter winter.
Oh - I think you have established the CEC behavior is strong with you sir! You may be largely responsible for sealing my Soap Commander purchase [emoji122] [emoji457] [emoji6]

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

Pre: CBL Noxzema bar

La Duchess (Swedish Frame Back)
Outlaw Strop 60 on leather
The Fireman (WD30mm HMBadger)
Fine "Green Vetiver
CBL light medicated Witch Hazel
Fine "Fresh Vetiver"

The Rooster - The Kia - The Text & The Account

Some days just start bad then get worse, today was one of those days. Frankie decided I needed an extra 15 minutes to play with this morning so he woke me up a bit EARLIER today than yesterday. Now that I think about it, maybe the rooster waking me up 15 minutes early was the best thing that could have happened. With a bit of extra time on my hands I was able to enjoy a leisurely shower and shave. Although I didn't really take it slow I seemed to need the extra time to whip up an appropriate amount of lather. I had taken The Fireman out of rotation to do a quick re-glue of the knot and today was the first day back in action. Despite being a large knot and my taking care to load a significant amount of soap I ended up with no lather for my second pass. For some reason my lather keeps dissipating (fading away into oblivion) while I make my first pass. No matter the brush, I end up with lather that dries on my face and/or disappears in my coconut and in the brush. It is as if I have contaminated my bowl with alum.

I ended up solving the lather problem with a second load and lather session (started from scratch) and I was off to the races. As far as lather goes the Green Vetiver has a very light scent both on the puck and in the lather, a bit too light for my tastes but pleasant. The quality of lather is definitely good, thick or thin this stuff works well. Despite my difficulty this morning the soap actually behaved like a top shelf soap from load to rinse. If I were to ask for anything it would be a stronger scent. By now you know that I rarely pick up a good scent from ANY soap so the light scent isn't a deal breaker and at the price point of Fine soaps, it is definitely acceptable.

The razor of choice today was the Duchess, a Swedish Frame Back I picked up about 2 months ago. This razor gave me fits when I first tried to hone it, damn near impossible as far as I am concerned. I eventually got a good edge and shaved with it but wasn't blown away like I was with my other frame back so I did a little more work on the stones a few days ago. Starting off with the GLT I was given a mid 4 range result, the comfort was clearly there, uniformity was nice but the ability to clear under my lip to a BBS with easy was not up to par. The shave was more or less typical, 3 passes with a good amount of neck work and some touch up on one cheek. Really, the shave went very well and the results were quite acceptable. I did get bit on the neck at one point but I can't say why (it was a sharp pain though). The surprise win for me was that my right cheek and side burn needed no touch up at all, I usually have to hit that every time, today was all left side. When the dust had settled and the Fresh Vetiver had been applied I was sporting a BBS mug so I guess it was a win.

But the shaving win is were the day goes of the rails. Today is the last day of school for my older girl and younger boy and the boy was going to drive the *** KIA so neither my wife nor I would have to pick up at 11:30 in the morning. The *** has been a thorn in my side since the day it hit 10k miles back in 2004 or 2005 but for some reason I kept it and keep throwing money at it so my kids can drive it (hint for those reading this, don't buy a KIA...just don't). Well, the car had been acting funny for days and it really acted strange last night during the pre-flight prep so when it died at the end of the block this morning, I should not have been surprise. Actually I wasn't surprised nor angry I was 'Zen' because I was still a little hi from the Fresh Vetiver wafting up my nostrils. Since I was in the car behind my son, my daughter get out and runs back to me and says she can't be late for her 8th grade promotion (when did 8th grade promotion become a thing?) and I should leave my son at the corner to figure it out. ...10 minutes later and a lot of pushing and running back and forth between cars the *** was back in front of my house and we were on our way. So much for my early start to the day and getting SO MUCH done. Then to put a little icing on my "work is going to suck " cake, I had confirmation that a decent size account had transferred leaving a chunk of unpaid balance (which should have been collected prior to the transfer by another *** company who must have been too busy releasing payroll stats to do their job -see how I kind of told you who the *** is but didn't use their name?) ...how much unpaid balance, about as much as SWMBO tells me she needs to pay some bills coming up THAT INCLUDE THE TAGS FOR THE KIA! ..stupid KIA. Is it the Army that says they do more before 9am than most people do all day? Well by 10:48 the final kick in the Cajones arrived, not quite up to the standards of the Army but hey, whose keeping tabs. SWMBO (who must now pick up the kids at 11:30 and was on her way to my office to see me) gets a text from her aunt. Her aunt has a golf ball size mass on her colon and must have sx on Monday to biopsy/remove it. yeah, a text ...that's the kind of people...well anyway this is a heavy blow for my wife because her aunt and her mom are her closest family and now both have colon cancer at the same time. Like the KIA, this does not surprise me because that whole side of her family has died of colon cancer. Of course I am a pretty chill guy, Zen and all but the immediate impact on me is that I will need to be involved in the aunts recovery because she lives alone and this forces ME to be involved in HER problem today. I know that sounds horrible but my point is, it is way easier and more pleasant to ignore this kind of thing than to deal with it ...I did this with my mom and stayed very strong, I don't want to do it again. The more frightening and harder to be chill/Zen about is the longer term reality that my wife is destined to follow the same path should she not "cowgirl-up" and take charge of her health ...even then we are dealt things in life we can not avoid. Then the even longer term reality is that my kids will face some version of this as well.

Well that's enough of that, and what the hell does it mean to be Zen anyway. How about a SOTD photo:
$File_000 (4).jpg

Wow Chris, What a day. I have dealt with that type of stuff for years when chargebacks happen, and all the other things. All I can suggest is take a mental health day followed with some adult beverage, a nice night out with the wife and a ton of prayer.

But the positive is that you had a tremendous shave. Take the small stuff as a win, the other stuff will work itself out. Seems to be the month of catastrophic Murphy visits.

I do not like the fact that he is diversifying the was he visits us.

Praying for your sanity.

Geez, man! Sorry to hear about your day. Glad it at least started well! I'll second the other two guys! I also have a kia... although it's actually a land rover, and instead of just not running, it throws check engine lights at me every month that cost way too much... hooray! Best of luck with the car, and I'll be praying for the aunt! We have some colon issues in my family as well, not fun stuff...

Sorry that your day turned out the way it did. I hope your wife's aunt does not have cancer. Sometimes these things can come in bunches and feel overwhelming. As Dave said take note of the positives and deal with the issues the best you can. Good shave today and that Fine combo sounds pretty sweet.

My Goodness Chris, what a horrible day my Friend, I know though that you have the strength of character and determination to plunge through this without a send thought Brother, it may be harder at times than others but I am dealing with a Lung Cancer issue in my Family right now myself and as hard as it is to swallow you must be strong for the Family, that is our duty and obligation as head of houshold Brother. Our Families thoughts and prayers go with you my Friend.

Wow Chris, What a day. I have dealt with that type of stuff for years when chargebacks happen, and all the other things. All I can suggest is take a mental health day followed with some adult beverage, a nice night out with the wife and a ton of prayer.

But the positive is that you had a tremendous shave. Take the small stuff as a win, the other stuff will work itself out. Seems to be the month of catastrophic Murphy visits.

I do not like the fact that he is diversifying the was he visits us.

Praying for your sanity.
In the end all we can hope for is to keep our sanity, and of course a great shave ...my whiskers will grow and I will have another chance at the day in the morning. Who knows, Frankie could decide to go off around 3am and I'll have a lot more time to play with my soap.
You sir need a nice cold beer! I need a beer after reading lol :a17:
Alas, I have no beer in the house. I find a variety of Whisky's / Bourbon's more to my liking (more efficient should the need arise). I have a late nite but if time allows I most certainly will make it a double.
Geez, man! Sorry to hear about your day. Glad it at least started well! I'll second the other two guys! I also have a kia... although it's actually a land rover, and instead of just not running, it throws check engine lights at me every month that cost way too much... hooray! Best of luck with the car, and I'll be praying for the aunt! We have some colon issues in my family as well, not fun stuff...
As horrible as my 2004 Rio is and as bad as my fight has been through the years with KIA, I am willing to admit newer models are far better.
The good news is I fixed the stupid KIA before heading off to this evenings Venture Crew meeting. I got lucky and it was a "simple" electrical issue ...the ignition coil.
Sorry that your day turned out the way it did. I hope your wife's aunt does not have cancer. Sometimes these things can come in bunches and feel overwhelming. As Dave said take note of the positives and deal with the issues the best you can. Good shave today and that Fine combo sounds pretty sweet.

Got word this evening that a small polyp that was removed is benign but based on the extensive family history I don't think the larger mass is anything BUT cancerous and from my experience I suspect it's not the only location. Along Dave's train of thought, sanity and peace are all I ask for myself and others.
HAVING positive things to enjoy is one of the greatest blessings I have. Seriously, the CEC is the reason I have acquired some of my better soaps (and the Fine soap used today was entirely on YOU Pete)
My Goodness Chris, what a horrible day my Friend, I know though that you have the strength of character and determination to plunge through this without a send thought Brother, it may be harder at times than others but I am dealing with a Lung Cancer issue in my Family right now myself and as hard as it is to swallow you must be strong for the Family, that is our duty and obligation as head of houshold Brother. Our Families thoughts and prayers go with you my Friend.
Thanks Nate, in fact thank you all for the positive thoughts.
True, it IS our duty as men of the house to be strong for our family, even when it is hard or just plain unpleasant. As the good men that we are, we are obliged to do our level best to make the lives of those who count on us as comfortable as possible. And yes, I know I can and will push straight through the problems in front of me (don't we all).

Nate, I'm sorry to hear you have a family member dealing with lung cancer. My mom died because of lung cancer 3 years ago. As bad as it was (and as hard as it is to think about now) she was lucky to not experience a significant metastasis to the brain, so her life and her passing remained Lucid and peaceful. Even though my moms case was not successfully treated, her friend who had the same presentation but received a different treatment is a survivor and even rode on the City of Hope Rose Parade Float a year ago! There is hope.

Thanks Nate, in fact thank you all for the positive thoughts.
True, it IS our duty as men of the house to be strong for our family, even when it is hard or just plain unpleasant. As the good men that we are, we are obliged to do our level best to make the lives of those who count on us as comfortable as possible. And yes, I know I can and will push straight through the problems in front of me (don't we all).

Nate, I'm sorry to hear you have a family member dealing with lung cancer. My mom died because of lung cancer 3 years ago. As bad as it was (and as hard as it is to think about now) she was lucky to not experience a significant metastasis to the brain, so her life and her passing remained Lucid and peaceful. Even though my moms case was not successfully treated, her friend who had the same presentation but received a different treatment is a survivor and even rode on the City of Hope Rose Parade Float a year ago! There is hope.

You are very welcome my Friend and thank you as well, although my Aunt is now missing her right lung, 2 ribs and half of her lymphatic system as the Squamous Cell moves very fast, she is now recovering and will hopefully remain clear now. I am very sorry to hear about your Mother Passing, I am relieved though of the conditions you speak of of it not having time to metastasize to her brain. Passing in peace and in a lucid state is much preferred and hopefully since it runs in the family when my time comes I too will pass in peace.

Pre: CBL Noxzema bar

Feather SS
Feather Pro x4
Mr. Ed
SV. Dolomites
CBL light medicated Witch Hazel
Dial "Burly" (ala [MENTION=85180]domzals1[/MENTION])
I had a cup of coffee and I feel better​

A new day and my whiskers have returned providing me another opportunity to start the day with a shave. I don't know WHY the idea of waking up and shaving is now such an appealing thought but fortunate for me it is. Frankie decided I only needed a couple extra minutes today so I only beat the alarm by 2 minutes then stumbled into the shower. I totally forgot the distilled water I had put in a small bottle under the sink but I did manage to remember to bloom the soap and soak Mr. Ed. Before long I was showered and ready to commence lathering the Dolomites. I decided I would skip face lathering completely and stick to the coconut to ensure I dialed in the perfect lather. Some say a you should start your day with a good breakfast ...I say start your day with a great lather. I wrung out the water from Mr. Ed and loaded a thick helping of soap into the bristles then did my thing in the coconut until I had a rich creamy lather (thanks Dave, it worked) then painted it on and did a little scrubbing. I have to admit, this is probably the most luscious soap you can have. I like the COSMO but the Dolotmites is much more like a silky lotion in feel and once applied to the face it is an excellent smell. Unfortunate for me, I have a pretty strong aversion (OCD thing) to lotions so I will struggle to keep this in rotation, especially during the summer heat. But the soap is SO nice I might just be able to tolerate it.
So since I had one of the best soaps on the planet now painted on my face, I figured I light as well whip out one of the sharpest blades know the CEC ...the Feather SS. The combination of focus and light touch required to wield this tool would ensure my MIND spent the next 10 to 15 minutes shaving, not wondering or dwelling. As I placed the blade to my face and began the first pass I was immediately struck with how smooth and effortless the stroke was. Each stroke was like I was painting a with a feather rather than scraping off lather. I nearly got away without the need for a third pass or touch up on my neck but ended up needing to do a partial East West pass to achieve the ultimate smooth shave. I learned something during the last portion of part of that East West movement ...certain angles are NOT recommended with a blade that can cut through time itself. I whimpered as I felt the corner cut into the soft skin of my neck. Carefully, I withdrew the blade and waited for the trickle to begin but it never did. I inspected more closely and I could find no evidence of injury. A gentle warning perhaps, what ever the case I will not be attempting a sideways movement with the blade angled at greater than 30 degrees again. With no blood and no obvious signs of actual injury a grail remained on the table, as I rinsed and inspected my clean shaven face I found the long sought after grail. My face is so smooth it is currently shaming baby hinnies from coast to coast AND, short of the little reminder, it was accomplished with a substantial amount of comfort and ease.

I splashed on the Japanese Aftershave PIFd to me last year by Domzals1 then went to say goodbye to my wife. As I nuzzled her and said goodbye she reached up and stroked my wicked smooth mug , "HA! so smooth she couldn't resist"! Then as I left the room it hit me, maybe she was reacting to the scent of the After Shave not he smoothness of my face. So Ryan, she likes "Burly" !

On the advice of Dr. Skypsyd and the CEC crew I will be taking a few mental health days. I will be camping (In a tent) next week so my attendance and reporting will likely suffer. Pete, your toothbrush holder idea for taking along a straight razor is spot on, I bought a couple last night and the Weck fits great as do all my others. I think you have found a great tool for storing razors in a drawer and with some improvised inserts I am sure I can make a kamisori case. ALL HAIL PETE THE GENIUS. I can't guarantee I will shave at all let alone shave with a straight in the wilderness but I'm packing it. I will be hiking/biking at elevation and you all have seen my picture, SO if I don't report in by Friday maybe you should start drawing straws for my stuff ...if I haven't checked in by Saturday plan a trip to my house to pick out what you want.

Oh and did you know we had an earthquake nearby last night? About a 5.0 on a Borego Springs fault line. I live ON the San Andreas which is due for an 8.0 or so but the Borego Springs fault isn't connected so it is not considered a trigger. I was still partially awake at 1am when it happened although I was also partially NOT awake ...not a bad one, pretty smooth as far as EQ's go. Although it has been awhile, Earthquakes are pretty common place here in California so this 5.0 won't get much attention but I thought it would fun to share.

Here is todays SOTD

$File_000 (5).jpg

Excellent shave! Have an awesome camping trip! Nice to get away!

[Guys - I think I've hidden this from Chris. Dibs on the Feather and Mr. Ed for when he goes "missing"]

Loved the write-up of today's shave! "Shaming hinnies from coast to coast":lol::thumbup1:. Way to go with the stellar combo of SV Dolomites and the Feather with the new Mr. Ed brush!

I read that tip somewhere about the toothbrush tubes - so I can't claim it to be original. I also like the altoids tins with the craft foam for DE's and blades - you can fit a lot of 3pc razors in them surprisingly well, so you can take the pre-war Tech with you on the road!!!

I hope you have a great time camping. The part about hiking and biking at elevation and drawing straws also elicited an outloud laugh at Prarie Dog Acres (open concept office cubes). I am heading out golfing on Tuesday and will also be limited to posting. Glad it was not a big earthquake, although a 5.0 out here on the east coast would send the news reporters into spasms and result in 24 hours of non-stop coverage.

Absolutely the best read of the day Chris, Fantastic and you are right. Feather don't like sideways, LOL Have a fantastic Trip and enjoy. I would love to go hiking now, but that whole spontaneous combustion thing of Arizona... well you know

Have a great weekend!

Excellent shave! Have an awesome camping trip! Nice to get away!

[Guys - I think I've hidden this from Chris. Dibs on the Feather and Mr. Ed for when he goes "missing"]
I saw that!

Thanks Brent, camping can go either way, I am hoping to have a few days of kick back and relax.

I saw that!

Thanks Brent, camping can go either way, I am hoping to have a few days of kick back and relax.

I usually spend the evenings making and tending a fire - it's mindless, but relaxing. Although, this time of year, you may have to get up pretty high to need a fire...

Top Bottom