What's new

Catridge razor confessional and pseudo-poll...

I've not shaved with a cartridge of any sort for 6+ years. Most of that time was spent shaving with a Futur loaded with Merkur blades, though I'm now hooked on Injectors. I can't even seem to muster much interest to even try other Injectors, I've been so pleased with the "type I" and 500 models.

I have two Fusion Gamers in the blister packaging mostly because they amuse me.

is it bad that i use a disposable to achieve BBS b/c i only get DFS with a DE?

Absolutely not. One of the goals of B&B is to help folks get better shaves, regardless of whether that requires DE's, SE's, straights, or cartridges. What matters here is what works for you. :001_cool:

Very interesting thread we have here I converted back to a DE in April of last year after shaving with whatever new multi blade was hot at the time. :wink2: I grew up right at the time of the big push to multiple blade cartridges. Have used creams for at least 15 years along with my mach3's and fusions. Never had any problems with my shaves using a cartridge like a few here. Plus the price was not an issue since i have been blessed enough to be able to afford whatever gillette was throwing at me.:001_smile Now what was the question.....:laugh:
Okay i remember when i first started using a DE in April of 09 I was really flip flopping back and forth whenever I shaved i was like a two handed gunslinger. After about five months i was about eighty percent DE and just a little touchup with the fusion. By October i was only using a fusion to do my upper lip. I went full blown DE in November and after almost slipping back to the call of the siren fusion I am now happy to say Cartridge Rehab has cured me...:001_smile So my answer after all these wasted words is #6.

Last edited:
I use a cartridge razor occasionally, but my use fits into none of the choices listed.

+1.

I shaved with a trac II for 30 years before the loss of my beloved Polo gold-plated handle caused me to pick up an M3 which, eventually, led me down the path of true enlightenment on which I now travel. :rolleyes: Nevertheless, I have wrestled with this very question for much of the year which has passed since I first tried a DE, and it wasn't until the 6 month mark that I finally decided that the vintage Gillette TTO's would be my primary weapons of choice. Nevertheless, occasionally, sometimes because I am pressed for time but usually for no reason in particular, I still pull out my Merkur Trac II. It gives me a good to excellent shave, with less effort than a DE, but still not as good as my best DE shaves.

I have given up completely on M3 (my 21 year old son took those, including my TOBS and Il Ceppo handles), and I never really used the Fusion (although that is what my 17-year old insists upon using).

This is a journey. To me, wetshaving is more about the "wet" part than it is about which blade you use to remove stubble. Having grown up with a father who is exclusively an electric shaver, I considered myself a wetshaver even when I was using a can of Edge and a Trac II.

Hakuna Matata!

is it bad that i use a disposable to achieve BBS b/c i only get DFS with a DE?

I will occasionally use a disposable also. I seem to get slightly closer shaves with them, but my skin always feels better with a DE.

Either when i am in a rush or just in need of a quick shave though sinse i have my trac ii i actually enjoy using it ;)

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I use my Gillette M3 razor only when I am in time trouble and when I travel.
These two conditions aside, I regularly use my beloved DE razors.

#6 Now.

I've always used a Sensor or Mach3, but since I started DE shaving and once I knew I got the hang of it (not perfect, but improving) I threw out my cart's. So I couldn't even use one if I wanted.

This morning I worked up some really good lather with the Bigelow cream and decided to try out the Trac II (1980 A-1) with the Schick Twin II blades. I got a simply wonderful shave with no irritation very quickly. First pass WTG, wiped the face down with warm water and re-lathered for an XTG pass that I probably didn't even need. It was over almost as soon as it started. It just wasn't as much fun as the DE/SE's are. Even though I am very seldom ever pressed for time when I'm getting ready for work during the week, it could still come in handy if that ever happens.

It was kinda fun going back to what I used for several years three decades ago.

I choose #9 - Other

As of 2010, nothing has touched my face except for a DE razor, and no plans on going back to a cartridge on my face. I converted back to DE after many years of cartridge and electric razor use.

I also shave my underarms and legs with a DE razor, and have no use for a cartridge style razor for that anymore either.

Cartridges do have a use in my shaving routine though, and most likely will continue to do so, as I feel more comfortable using them for hair removal on more intimate/sensitive regions of the body.

I guess one could say I enjoy shaving a little too much... :blush:

I've never used my Mach3 power since I started using a DE in May 2008. I never enjoyed using it and the results I got with a DE on my tough heavy stubble was a revelation. Using the DE means I know I can get an acceptable shave in about 5 minutes if I have to (face lather, WTG, ATG passes with a Tech) which would have been impossible with the Mach3.

Top Bottom