What's new

Catridge razor confessional and pseudo-poll...

I'm glad to see there are quite a few fellow trac II users. Now I have to try the Atra. I feel like a shaver from the 70s. I was using a DE and then moved to the more "advanced" Trac II and now I'm going to try the even more "advanced" Atra....retro style.

Since my journey into this madness started way back in November I have not used a cartridge on my face. However, I have come to the conclusion that the best weapon for my head is my Personna Magnum M5. This morning I used a Trac II that my MIL found boxed up and gave me with a Schick Twin II blades on my head. It worked very well, but I didn't see any real advantage over the M5. The blades for the M5 are relatively cheap, and I have 3 coupons left so I'll be using it and the Trac II for the noggin.

I may try the Trac II on my face just for nostalgia, I remember using them back in the 70's.

As a side note for any Fusion users check out the M5.

Hijack over returning you now to the regularly scheduled topic.

I used a DE for a while, and I guess despite my own clumsy "efforts to the contrary," my technique improved such that when I went back to my Sensor Excel for two days it just did nothing for me. Like re-reading a newspaper from last Tuesday for the eighteenth time, if there was absolutely nothing newsworthy on that day.
I just don't do that any more, because it's just not interesting.

I'm about 90% DE, 10% Sensor or TracII.
No particular reason, I just like to change it up once in a while.

#1 For the last month or so I have switched from DE to Trac II and really like the Trac II better. I use the Schick II handle and also the bump fighter handle. Before this I was using the sledgehammer slant and feathers and getting a good shave, but not any better than I am with the Trac II and less irritation. I haven't tried any other cartridge razors. The Trac II cartridges are only 18 cents ea. and last well over a week, but I change out every week, and it works out cheaper than the DE blades. Sold my two slants and DE blades and going to stay with the Trac II for now. JMHO

6. The only exception I can imagine is for travelling purposes, but I hardly ever travel, and when I do, it's by car or train.

OK, I don't know how to make a real poll, so we'll do a pseudo-poll instead. Here's what I want to know: How often do you use a cartridge razor (despite extolling the virtues of DE shaving about two hours a day on this forum)?

1. A cartridge razor is my usual weapon.
2. I use a cartridge razor between 25% and 50% of the time.
3. I use a cartridge razor only when I'm in an extreme hurry.
4. I use a cartridge razor only when I travel.
5. Although I always shave with a DE, I sometimes do a little clean-up with a cartridge razor.
6. Never touch the stuff!

I'll start. For now, my answer is number one. I am settling into a nice routine with a NOS Atra using NOS Atra blades. Two gentle passes each day; DFS without irritation.

Now the confessinal is open for you! Be honest.:sneaky2:

#5 is showing you need more practice and refining of your technique with the DE. If you're doing it right, the results will blow away a cartridge.

#4, but I'm new and have been doing only DE. Just that M3's keep turning up as I go through my closet and drawers. ...need somewhere to go now.

I have been a 2 for the last 10 years or so. Since adding a couple of vintage Gillettes to the arsenal, I'm more of a 6 these days. Maybe back to a twin blade once in a while, just for comparative purposes, mind you.

#6. I have gone to great lengths to avoid any type of cartridge or canned cream since I found this website. Even if I only get in one pass, it still gives me a better shave than anything I used to get with a cartridge.

A few weeks ago, I couldn't make up my mind which vintage Gillette I wanted to use next . . . so I threw a fresh cartridge into my Schick Quattro and decided to apply the "better shaving" techniques that I have been working on these past months . . .

I had probably the best shave that I ever had with a cartridge . . . Atra, Sensor, Mach 3, or Quattro . . . but it still didn't match up to my daily results with any number of DE razor/blade combinations or a Gem Jr SE.

SWMBO shaved the back of my neck for me last night . . . although she is using a Lady Gillette for her "smoothing" needs, she doesn't feel comfortable using either a DE or SE on my neck! :scared: (I suggested my Gem Jr . . . she passed!!)

So, I guess my cartridge razor will see its only duty now as my neck shaver . . . For traveling, I will carry a Tech so if it gets lost or "stolen" I won't cry too much!! :blush:

None of the above, really, although 6 is closest. I haven't picked up a cartridge razor since I first used a DE, 7 or 8 months ago. I fully intend to try one again some day, though, just to see how it works with improved shaving and lathering technique. That would be my old Atra, and the cheap Trac II clone that I bought. Never used more than twin blades, and don't see any reason to start now.

I use a straight razor or a Feather AC about 80% of the time.
The other 20% is spent shaving with a DE or growing a three day scruff.
The last time I used a cartridge shaver was probably around '93
I think I still have a handle for a mach2 somewhere.

Top Bottom