What's new

Cast Iron Corn Bread

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't own one. I think I'll see if the wife can include one in my stocking for Christmas.

Let's see what this guy thinks:

I just thought of a great idea- chainmail stockings. Who doesn't like a woman in chain mail?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread. I live in New Zealand and up until now my only experience of cornbread has been on visits to the House of Blues in Disneyland every 18 months or so. Thanks to you all, I've managed to hunt down the ingredients and make my own. Damn its good.:thumbup1:

$CB.jpg

Not up to the standard of the pro's here but good enough for me and tasty for a first try. Yum...

Pictures, please.

Unfortunately I don't own a cast iron skillet at this stage so this was a practice one that I made using a plain old cake tin. I tried to crisp it up a bit round the edges but didn't really work. I just had a little piece with my coffee and some whipped butter for my breakfast and last night I had it with my roast beef and gravy. Very versatile. I put some in the freezer wrapped in clingfilm as well to see how it stands up to being saved for a couple of weeks. Have to say...this stuff is worth investing in a skillet for.

Looking good! What pan did you use?

In my opinion a cast iron pan is a must in any kitchen and this recipe is one more reason it is time to go and get one.
One advice regarding cornmeal, if you don't mind. Cornmeal comes in different grinds: fine, medium and course. The grind will affect the texture and thickness of the batter/bread. This is entirely a matter of preference. If you like a crumbly, crunchy bread use a courser grind.
I use a medium grind, but don't fear experimenting.

Here's my first go at making corn bread. Using a borrowed cast iron skillet from my wifes grandfather, originally bought when there was still a company making them in Canada. I used the Mardi Gras recipe from a previous page as a starter.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/m_photography/3vNTF0

Next time I'll add a bit more cheese. I also used habenero pepper instead of jalapeños as I like the flavour more.

Cheers

M.

I haven't gone through all the posts, too many, so sorry if this has already been mentioned. Preheat the skillet in the oven before pouring batter into it. But before pouring batter, place several strips of bacon into the skillet. Yums.

Mike

@dangsta4501

I find it freezes pretty well. I've made a few batches now and frozen some every time. Can come out a little dry on reheat, but just add butter and all is good again.

Just came home with a cast iron pan now....bought purely to make cornbread with. There's only one shop in my town that sells cornmeal...its quite expensive and in a fancy gluten free area of one of the supermarkets. I kind of have to take what I can get I'm afraid. I'm gonna flash up the skillet in a couple of hours and do a taste comparison.lol

In my opinion a cast iron pan is a must in any kitchen and this recipe is one more reason it is time to go and get one.
One advice regarding cornmeal, if you don't mind. Cornmeal comes in different grinds: fine, medium and course. The grind will affect the texture and thickness of the batter/bread. This is entirely a matter of preference. If you like a crumbly, crunchy bread use a courser grind.
I use a medium grind, but don't fear experimenting.

loool
Just came home with a cast iron pan now...
Congrats! You will soon start enjoying cooking in the CI pan. Best for frying eggs, in my opinion.

Just make sure you get the seasoning right the first time. Easy on oil and place the pan upside-down on a cookie sheet inside the preheated oven. Secret is a very thin coating of oil.
Enjoy!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Just came home with a cast iron pan now....bought purely to make cornbread with. There's only one shop in my town that sells cornmeal...its quite expensive and in a fancy gluten free area of one of the supermarkets. I kind of have to take what I can get I'm afraid. I'm gonna flash up the skillet in a couple of hours and do a taste comparison.lol

Take a picture of your pan and post it. What's the manufacture? Also, a cast iron pan can be used for most anything, not just cornbread. Today I made bacon, hash browns and fried eggs, all in the cast iron pan.

Last edited:
There you go, Doc. Again, nothing flash....just a standard cast iron pan. I couldn't find anything other than this so not really much by way of choice. Got my first cornbread out of it and definitely better than the cake tin. Crunchy on the outside. No pics though as I chopped it up, froze a batch and had some just by itself while it was warm. I didn't season the pan but it came out fine. Probably the coating on there. I've got a stack of cornbread in the freezer. Going on a bike ride (motorbike) with few guys and spending the night at a prison that was closed and turned into a very basic motel. Gonna take a stack of cornbread and some cigars to share round. Lookin forward to it.
$DSCN2425.jpg

Take a picture of your pan and post it. What's the manufacture? Also, a cast iron pan can be used for most anything, not just cornbread. Today I made bacon, hash browns and fried eggs, all in the cast iron pan.

Nice enameled CI pan. Please disregard my advice concerning seasoning as it was valid for a bare-naked CI. I have never used an enameled CI pan but I use an enameled CI dutch quite often for stews and curries.
In my opinion the bare-naked and enameled are meant for different uses.

Nah, don't season an enamel coating. My wife and I have a running collision about enameled vs. naked iron. She has a lot of nice enameled pieces, and is always letting the plain stuff rust. I grew up with seasoned CI, and frankly I had never used an enameled iron pan until we hitched up.

After decades, neither of us has changed the mind of the other.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
On a blind taste test do you think there would be any difference in a cornbread cooked in the enamal cast to a non enamal cast well seasoned.

Dansta. If you are still on the hunt for some cast iron there is a few places in NZ that stock the Lodge brand.
Living and Giving have them. I know there is not a store near you but they do deliver. They have them on special often so don't buy at full price. 30% off is the norm for them.
I saw a good range of lodge cast iron in Mitre 10 Mega in Lower Hutt. Not sure if they would also be in the Wanganui store.

Last edited:
Top Bottom