What's new

The secret ingredient that makes Southern cornbread so delicious!

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
My dad was born in West TN and he made it with onion and whole kernel corn, along with the meal and whatnot. My aunt (dad’s sister) would make it the same way but it would be sweet, so I’m guessing she added the sugar.

What town/county? My folks were both from Linden, Perry County and most of my relatives are still there. Not technically "West" TN but right across the river on the middle/west border. My wife is from Jackson County (not the west Tennessee town, rather the Upper Cumberland county near Cookeville) She always teases me about having West TN roots so I always retort by teasing her that she comes from East TN, when in fact both of these places are middle.

And yes, we both love cornbread.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
What town/county? My folks were both from Linden, Perry County and most of my relatives are still there. Not technically "West" TN but right across the river on the middle/west border. My wife is from Jackson County (not the west Tennessee town, rather the Upper Cumberland county near Cookeville) She always teases me about having West TN roots so I always retort by teasing her that she comes from East TN, when in fact both of these places are middle.

And yes, we both love cornbread.
He was from Haywood county. Brownsville, TN. The Hatchie Bottom.

My folks lived in East TN for a while. Elgin, which I think isn‘t to far from Cookeville. On the Cumberland Plateau.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
He was from Haywood county. Brownsville, TN. The Hatchie Bottom.

My folks lived in East TN for a while. Elgin, which I think isn‘t to far from Cookeville. On the Cumberland Plateau.

I had to look up Elgin on Google! Up near Big South Fork, a beautiful hidden gem I have visited numerous times.

I use a South Carolina recipe that calls for three tablespoons of Crisco melted in the iron pan while the oven is heating up. This is mixed into the batter before adding it to the pan which remains well greased. The recipe contains buttermilk but no sugar.

Top Bottom