What's new

Cast Iron Corn Bread

I've got to admit that every time I see the title of this thread I think of something possibly made by Ellie May Clampet that you would have to use a chisel and hammer to cut up. You may remember her.
View attachment 511128
Yeah she was born in 1933 so probably at 81 there are a fair few pics not so flattering . . . please let me keep my childhood memories.

Here is a recipe that some dude shared a while back. I really do like this one. Cheese, bacon bits, and jalapeno peppers. Rob Rainsford was teaching at the time at George Brown college in Toronto . . . . so I guess this would be Northern food?

Yep. She was a real doll:
$article-0-0F4BAF0E00000578-980_233x364.jpg

Sorry Mike...not too sure what I've done to earn the slapped forehead. I basically go on a trip to the States every year or so but strictly as a tourist. That means I end up eating at tourist places (Bubba Gump, Hooters, House of Blues, Tony Roma's, Cheesecake Factory etc). I don't have the local knowledge or time to go exploring and I enjoy the whole ribs, chowder, philly steak, hot sauce, anything BBQ'd, buffalo wings, sliders so much that I stick to that. I know HOB is probably pre-mixed and not a patch on home made but it was my only experience of the stuff. :lol:

House of Blues every x months or so . . . hmmmm. Nice cornbread. I see nothing else here at all :facep:

Thanks Chris. I'll take a look. The Mitre 10 here is pretty well stoked. Might just have to see if Santa will bring me one. Took a batch of cornbread to work and handed it out to some of the guys today. Went down really well. They couldn't decide if it was a cake or not. I ended up telling them that it was basically the swiss army knife of food. You could eat it with anything from chilli to honey to crumbling it in buttermilk.

On a blind taste test do you think there would be any difference in a cornbread cooked in the enamal cast to a non enamal cast well seasoned.

Dansta. If you are still on the hunt for some cast iron there is a few places in NZ that stock the Lodge brand.
Living and Giving have them. I know there is not a store near you but they do deliver. They have them on special often so don't buy at full price. 30% off is the norm for them.
I saw a good range of lodge cast iron in Mitre 10 Mega in Lower Hutt. Not sure if they would also be in the Wanganui store.

And one more -

$chillicheese.jpg

It's a little pale on top, but was nice and browned underneath :thumbup1: jalapeno, caramelised onion and cheddar cornbread. Probably the best I've made

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup of oil
1 egg
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 a white onion caramelised
3 jalapenos seeded and minced
1/2 - 2/3 cup of cubed cheddar

Tip into your preheated and oiled skillet and bake at around 210C/410F for 20 minutes. Eeeeeeeeasy

Being a Southern boy, I grew up on cornbread. I've been cooking with cast iron for a little more than a year, and it makes the BEST cornbread (or anything else, for that matter) hands down.

Once you've tried cornbread from some of the recipes the guys on here will give you, give Hoe Cakes a try. Very simple, mix two cups cornmeal (half cup of sugar if you want to sweeten it a bit) with boiling water until you get a spackle consistency. Then fry it up in a bit of hot oil.

I just made a frying pan full of goodness by adding 3 tablespoons of (hot) diced jalapenos and about a half cup of cheddar cheese to the mix.

A healthy wedge of this with butter on top, served with a hot cup of tea warms you up in more ways than one. :w00t:

Had to do a test batch before Thanksgiving. Last year's cornbread muffins were memorable for how bad they turned out. This year I'm going flourless and unsweetened. Bacon grease in the batter for the win.

$image.jpg

Top Bottom