What's new

Can you use a post shave balm as a daily moisturizer?

Hi Folks,

I think it's important to look after your skin, and I always use a post shave balm after a shave, and now I'm starting to use a moisturizer after I wash my face. I enjoy the feeling of a post shave balm on my face, so sometimes I use this in place of a moisturizer.

What are the active ingredients in a post shave balm, and the active ingredients in a moisturizer? Can one be a substitute for the other?

I use post shave balm s a moisturizer on a daily basis even though I don't sshave daily. Not sure what the difference is as far as the ingredients but it works for me.

I do as well, it seems to work perfectly fine for me! Specifically I have been using QCS Vostok ASB and AoS Unscented ASB, the QCS is absolutely fantastic.

I use post shave balm s a moisturizer on a daily basis even though I don't sshave daily. Not sure what the difference is as far as the ingredients but it works for me.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

no. it is forbidden.

It depends. Some ASBs have very similar ingredients to those found in facial moisturizers. I highly recommend QCS balms and Al's shaving aftershave balm; they are both amazing.

Keep in mind that neither one contains any sunscreen, which I think is an important ingredient in any product you want to use as a daytime moisturizer.

Some ASBs claim to be formulated specifically for after shaving, with a slightly higher concentration of emollients, coagulants, soothing ingredients. But, for the most part, I suspect that most ASBs are pretty much the same as any facial moisturizers. Since I'm very price sensitive, I've found a great deal on large containers of a premium unscented facial moisturizer (Olay) at BJ's to which I simply add a splash of after shave lotion in my palm -- I like the scent, but not the alcohol burn, so mixing it with moisturizer solves that. Sometimes I mix in other interesting, fragrant, or extra-healing ingredients. That's how I make my own custom ASB daily, alternating between bay rum, Clubman Regular and Special Reserve, ProRaso Preshave, Noxzema cream, coconut butter, Burt's Bees or Badger healing salves, and a bunch of ASL samples I'm working my way through.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about moisturizers, but I put this on my skin, and it makes me happy:

proxy.php

Plain Nivea creme (the basic one, in the blue container) works great for me.

Top Bottom