What's new

Calling all VINTAGE SIMPSONS - Hear Ye Hear Ye

My Case is 20mm knot. I had to majorly open the hole up and make it quit a bit deeper to get s TGN HMW in it set @ 48mm.

[FONT=&amp]Modern Case Dimensions[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]A.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Overall Height[/FONT][FONT=&amp]85mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]B.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Loft Height[/FONT][FONT=&amp]42mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]C.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Base Height[/FONT][FONT=&amp]43mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]D.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Loft Width[/FONT][FONT=&amp]35mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]E.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Knot Diameter[/FONT][FONT=&amp]19mm [/FONT]

Mine, reknot with Simpson 2 bands silvertip at 47mm high

$P1020832.jpg$P1020833.jpg$P1020834.jpg

Last edited:
an ebay adventure.

couldn't sleep one night about ten days ago. went browsing. came upon a buy-it-now listing for some brushes. spotted a couple of butterscotch simpsons strewn among a mess of rather pedestrian brushes. 2:30am. clicked.

ten days later this arrives:
attachment.php

attachment.php

36 brushes and a strop:
attachment.php

but, there were some decent goodies among all the other inside:

attachment.php

Simpsons for Marshall Fields Men's Store in Best Badger.

attachment.php

Simpsons BB3 for "Made Especially for Otto Pomper Chicago." Looks like a Persian Jar.

More...
attachment.php

attachment.php

Kent C24
attachment.php

Butterscotch Ever Ready ... no model number
attachment.php

And, of course, the one brush that made the whole scheme worthwhile:
attachment.php

a new arrival today. straight from the UK, a Simpsons H3 in Pure Bristle (boar). For size comparison, alongside a Simpsons for Hoffritz 103 -- presumed to be the same size as a Chubby 3 -- and a modern Wee Scot...
$15939700505_b2069d98f7_b.jpg

and, an all-Simpsons family gathering...
$15939047112_ce7ba00fc3_k.jpg
from left to right, beginning in the front row: X2L (Colonel), 434 for Hoffritz, 32 for Hoffritz, 57 for Gimbels, BB3 for Otto Pomper Chicago (Persian Jar), B2 (Beaufort) for George F. Trumper, unnamed brush for Marshall Fields The Store for Men (Chicago); middle row: modern Duke 3, Classic 2, TSN P8 Phyl, Tulip for (it's rather faded but...) London Army Navy Stores, M6 Manchurian TSN; top row: H2, Wee Scot, Hoffritz 103 (Chubby).

Bob, the boar knot would probably benefit with a replacement, but I did (after repeated latherings to clean it up) use it for yesterday's shave with MdC.

The knot is huge (look at the photo for a size comparison with the 103 Hoffritz "chubby" above) -- lots of loft and some decent backbone.

I could certainly use it as is for a long time and probably will leave it alone for now.

It did a fine job making and spreading lather (but with MdC every brush seems to do fine).

That handle is big, fat and heavy in my smallish hands -- and feels great to hold.

Wet, after rinsing, the knot looked floppy and clumped, so I don't know that it will win a beauty contest the way the handle might.

But, overall I'm very pleased.

At one time, I asked Mark if he would be willing to make a Simpson-branded custom boar for me, but for understandable reasons, he declined. The know how to make good boars is obviously strong at Progress-Vulfix, and I wonder whether they would take on a boar re-knot for you.

Bob, I have some other vintage Simpsons -- obviously, all of them in badger -- that are more in need of a restoration than this brush. But, I think your idea is worth an email or tweet to Mark. Failing that, there's always Rudy Vey for a boar-restore. I'll do non-Simpsons restores (Ever-Ready, Made Rite, Rubberset) myself, but I won't risk my clumsy hands on any Simpsons.

Gents, I received this as part of a bundle of items. Looks like a Simpson. It is marked:
D1, Pure Bristle, Made in England, Sterilized
Dimensions are, Knot 20mm x 48mm Boar, Handle 34mm x 45mm
Is there any value in restoring this guy?

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418933400.486667.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418933433.885607.jpg

Top Bottom