What's new

Budget Watch?

Anybody use a Wenger?
Ive had an Invicta for a few years now and it's a great watch for what it is. Battery only replaced a few months ago. I have owned a few Movados and Rolex's some years back when I could afford them. I'm interested in something dependable, built tough and nice to look at.

Anybody use a Wenger?
Ive had an Invicta for a few years now and it's a great watch for what it is. Battery only replaced a few months ago. I have owned a few Movados and Rolex's some years back when I could afford them. I'm interested in something dependable, built tough and nice to look at.

I had a Wenger that I wore for about 5 years. Gave it to my son. Worked great for me, but he decided he doesn't need a watch since he always has his cell phone. I now have a Timex and a pair of Invicta watches. Love them all.

Randy

I had a Wenger that I wore for about 5 years. Gave it to my son. Worked great for me, but he decided he doesn't need a watch since he always has his cell phone. I now have a Timex and a pair of Invicta watches. Love them all.

Randy

It's amazing how a cellphone takes the place of seeing what time it is.

Since I stopped wearing a watch when I got my first iPhone it has been hard to train myself to look at my watch now that I wear one again.

I have been watching Comedians in Cars lately. I have been noticing that almost everyone wears a watch. Some nicer than others.

Since an iPhone isn't really anymore of a status symbol than a Droid you still need a watch if you want to make a statement.

Watches add personality.

I received this as an early Christmas present this year from my fiancée. I really wanted one last year when they were on huge discount for Black Friday, but I wasn't able to get an order placed in time.

This year, on Thanksgiving, they went back on sale and she ordered it for me. It's every bit as lovely as the pictures make it seem, if not more so. This means a lot to me because of how thoughtful she is and knew how much it meant to me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PSLP4M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last year, I picked up an Invicta 14878 Specialty watch for under $100 and I love it. It's now listed for $134 but with the 30% Green Monday sale, it would be back under $100.

$INVICTA-14878.jpg

Since I stopped wearing a watch when I got my first iPhone it has been hard to train myself to look at my watch now that I wear one again.

I have been watching Comedians in Cars lately. I have been noticing that almost everyone wears a watch. Some nicer than others.

Since an iPhone isn't really anymore of a status symbol than a Droid you still need a watch if you want to make a statement.

Watches add personality.

I tried not wearing a watch, but it was annoying to have to pull my smart phone out of my pocket. So I went back to wearing watches. And now I am working to upgrade the look and quality of my watches.

I am highly considering pulling the trigger on the Invicta 17185..... I like the hand wound movement and the skeletonized face.

Watches add personality.
Plus there's something kind of douche-y about someone who is always looking at their cellphone. Even if it's just to check the time.

I own a Boccia watch I purchased for in and around this budget range. Sapphire crystal face, titanium body, ceramic bezel & leather strap. Super light on the wrist, very comfortable and looks pretty slick

$3563-02_display.jpg

Always do research on the movements on a watch this makes it tick.
And know the material of the watch if its robust that always tel you how long it wil.last.

This one ran me $90. It manually winds and hacks. It tends to lose time...but if I don't let it run down, it will still be within 30 seconds after 2 weeks. That is incredible for a mechanical watch.

proxy.php

Try tracking the accuracy in different resting positions overnight.

My seiko loses 4 seconds a day on my wrist, and loses another 4 overnight if left resting face up.

But it gains 9 seconds overnight if resting crown up.

So Every other day, i put it to bed on its crown, keeping the watch consistently within a few seconds of the official US time.

I bought the Invicta 17185. I have work it softly, meaning not hitting anyting with it and taking care of it religiously. Ran great until today. I was out of town for a few days, got home last night and saw it was out of wind. I winded it up and it seemed fine. It's stopped twice today. I have tried to wind octane the knob slips back to unwind status like whatever little mechanism isn't catching and keeping tension on the spring. I haven't overwound or anything. Kinda sucks because I really like this damn thing!!

It depends on what you're looking for, such as new vs used, digital vs analog, et al. Here's my favorites:

Digital (new): Casio G-Shock. They have a good selection of models for $100 and under. My favorite is the basic DW-5600E. A close second would be a Timex Atlantis or one of their 'shock type' watches.

Digital (used): G-Shock again. Used DW-5600s aren't hard to find for good prices; you can probably find the DW-5600C for under $100 in good condition. It's like the 5600E, but it has a full stainless steel case with screwback. The rubber bezels and bands are no longer made by Casio for the C models, however, and the ones that remain on the market are rare and war priced. I've got a reproduction bezel and band on mine.

Analog (new): I would say something like a Seiko 5, Timex or a Fossil. A lot of watch people decry Fossil as being low quality, but I've always had good service out of mine. My first ever watch is a Fossil Blue; I've heard rumors that the early Fossil watches have Seiko movements, but I can't substantiate that with certainty. I received the watch when I was 12 years old. I'm now 32, and that watch is still with me ticking away happily. I had it repaired once under warranty when the second hand popped off, but it's been a champ.

Analog (used): I can't say I've bought a used analog watch in a while, so I'm not sure there. Go with a good, well known brand. If it's quartz, make sure it runs and keeps good time. If it's mechanical, make sure it's not broken and see that it's been serviced like it should be.

There are beatufull vintage watches for sale with a swiss movement from $20 up to $$$$$
There are a few who sell these.

I Will post some links soon with pictures and Brand names

Last edited:
Top Bottom