What's new

Brown Leaf Acquisitions -- May 2024

Hard to believe I'm the first to post this!

From TobaccoPipes I ordered an ounce each of C & D Crooner and of C & D Pegasus, plus some BJ Long pipe cleaners. Once before I tried a blend with deertongue, their Gentleman Caller, and was underwhelmed. Crooner is supposed to have more DT and to be a stronger blend overall; I may wind up mixing it with other things. Pegasus is reportedly a good "morning coffee" blend.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
So I’m not usually a figural pipe guy but this Siren enticed me with her song. According to the carver you can cover the bowl, blow lightly into the pipe, and smoke will come out of her mouth. I’ll have to try it out.

IMG_4703.jpegIMG_4702.jpegIMG_4701.jpeg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
2 tins Orlik Golden Slices
2 tins Solano 633 Virginia Flake
1 tin Peterson Irish Cask

That was to reset the Perique levels back to roughly what they were 18 months ago, yet I had to dig out a larger shoebox to fit it all in. :001_unsur I suppose it's a lot easier cramming 12g Mylar rectangular pouches in all the nooks and crannies, than it is round tins...

Got some stuff in the mail recently! Firstly the aristocob has arrived!

20240518_153322.jpg
20240518_153540.jpg
20240518_153511.jpg

Secondly I grabbed some stuff from Vermont freehand that arrived a few days ago. Some forever stems for cobs, some stems to attempt to mod for cobs, and some other bits to attempt some pipe/stem making. Drill bits, sanding arbor, and two reject plateau pipe kits. They were nice enough that I went ahead and ordered a couple more that should arrive in a couple days haha.

20240514_172319.jpg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
IMG_4831.jpegIMG_4830.jpegA local estate company sold off a ton of pipes. I got an original Preben Holm, Viggio Nielsen, old Comoy, an old Nording that’s probably from the 70’s, and a few others. All for less than $300. The grain on them is amazing, I’m not a huge straight grain guy, but I think these will clean up beautifully. I’ll be starting a restoration thread soon(ish).

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
View attachment 1851627
I’m new to pipes, just smoked my first one Wednesday night. This was a starter kit I bought from the local shop. I added some haunted bookshop and autumn evening tobacco to go with it.
If you stick around, this will be the first of many many acquisition posts you make!
Welcome to the group!
Yup! I’ll agree with Phil here! Stick around and you’ll slowly (or quickly 🤷🏻) start adding to what you have there. 😎😁

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
View attachment 1851627
I’m new to pipes, just smoked my first one Wednesday night. This was a starter kit I bought from the local shop. I added some haunted bookshop and autumn evening tobacco to go with it.
You added a couple of my favorite tobaccos to your order. Smoke the Haunted Bookshop slowly, it’ll get hot and kind of ashy if you smoke it too quick. if it doesn’t agree with you at first, don’t give up on it, smoke some other stuff for a while and occasionally come back to it, eventually you’ll get the hang of it.

You added a couple of my favorite tobaccos to your order. Smoke the Haunted Bookshop slowly, it’ll get hot and kind of ashy if you smoke it too quick. if it doesn’t agree with you at first, don’t give up on it, smoke some other stuff for a while and occasionally come back to it, eventually you’ll get the hang of it.
Thanks for the advice man. Yeah, I enjoyed it, but do wish I would’ve started with something else, if that makes sense. I do need to order more varieties of tobacco.

Thanks for the advice man. Yeah, I enjoyed it, but do wish I would’ve started with something else, if that makes sense. I do need to order more varieties of tobacco.
TitanEer, welcome to the hobby! What brand of pipe is that in your pic? It looks like a good choice. I too began with bent pipes in the Eighties, and bought very few straight models. Since 2021 and my return to piping, nearly all my purchases have been straight billiards. Go figure.

Yeah, I’m already looking at new stuff. The wife is going to love me adding this to my whiskey and cigar problem, lol
There's always the codger blends, Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh and the aromatic version, and the Match of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, for example. As Columbo here is always saying, if you learn on them, you can smoke anything.

TitanEer, welcome to the hobby! What brand of pipe is that in your pic? It looks like a good choice. I too began with bent pipes in the Eighties, and bought very few straight models. Since 2021 and my return to piping, nearly all my purchases have been straight billiards. Go figure.
Thank you for the welcome. It is just simple basket pipe that I got at the local cigar/tobacconist shop, it came in the starter pack. The stamp on the pipe says that it is a La Rocca. For some reason, I prefer a bent pipe too.
There's always the codger blends, Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh and the aromatic version, and the Match of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, for example. As Columbo here is always saying, if you learn on them, you can smoke anything.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind trying all of those. The local shop didn't have any of them, I have been trying to find a drug store type place that might have them, but no luck yet.

Thank you for the welcome. It is just simple basket pipe that I got at the local cigar/tobacconist shop, it came in the starter pack. The stamp on the pipe says that it is a La Rocca. For some reason, I prefer a bent pipe too.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind trying all of those. The local shop didn't have any of them, I have been trying to find a drug store type place that might have them, but no luck yet.
A bent pipe has one major advantage: You can actually see how much of the surface of the tobacco you set afire at the first and second lights. And they are easier to clench, if you do that.

Drugstores and groceries used to have the "codgers" in pouches. I don't think Prince Albert comes in a pouch any longer, you'd have to buy in bulk online if you can or go with one of the matches. SWR and SWRA (the aromatic) still come in a pouch.

Oh, and don't forget Carter Hall (no pouch any longer) and Half & Half (a polarizing blend; people either love it or hate it). I think I bought the last pouch-in-a-box of CH in America about two years ago, and that grocery and my Walmarts no longer have any pipe tobacco at all. Your best bet would be to order from one or more of the online vendors mentioned here.

Top Bottom