What's new

Brown Leaf Acquisitions --October 2023

I hope I'm not stepping on toes by starting October's Brown Leaf Acquisitions thread, but I got a package from Pipes and Cigars today, and I'm excited LOL.

Today's delivery included a tin of CAO Cherry Bomb, a tin of Blood Red Moon, a tin/2 ounce can of Cornell and Diehl Small Batch The Beast and 8 ounces of Lane Bulk TK-6 (Cherry).

I'm waiting for 8 ounces of Cornell and Diehl Haunted Bookshop and 8 ounces of Scotty's Angler's Dream. That should be here tomorrow.
IMG_20231005_005255374.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I don’t smoke a lot of Cherry Aromatics but when I do the Cult Blood Red Moon is the only one left in my cellar. If you haven’t tried before I’m pretty sure you’ll really like it.

If you like a pinch of cherry (and a dash of cocoa) in an aromatic, also try Boswell's Pennsylvania Dutch Treat.

Like you, not something I would smoke regularly, however.

I don’t smoke a lot of Cherry Aromatics but when I do the Cult Blood Red Moon is the only one left in my cellar. If you haven’t tried before I’m pretty sure you’ll really like it.
I haven't smoked anything heavily aromatic in a few decades but my recollection is that I sorta liked a cherry one but it gave me a headache. As did flavoured Swishers.

Is that a common issue? Or, does it come down to the quality/method of adding the flavors?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I haven't smoked anything heavily aromatic in a few decades but my recollection is that I sorta liked a cherry one but it gave me a headache. As did flavoured Swishers.

Is that a common issue? Or, does it come down to the quality/method of adding the flavors?
I agree with @Columbo youre probably having a reaction to either the humectant (usually propylene glycol) or the artificial “cherry flavor”.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Are they using propylene glycol on the bulk and tinned aromatics, or just the pouches?
Depends on who you ask. Pouches and mass produced bulk (Lane 1Q for example), there’s probably a decent chance. I think some manufacturers have moved away from PG because of the negative stuff attributed to it. I’m pretty sure, but not 100% positive, that tobaccos blended in the EU can’t use it by law. Tinned I would think there’s less chance just because there’s no O2 exposure or moisture loss in a sealed tin.

Depends on who you ask. Pouches and mass produced bulk (Lane 1Q for example), there’s probably a decent chance. I think some manufacturers have moved away from PG because of the negative stuff attributed to it. I’m pretty sure, but not 100% positive, that tobaccos blended in the EU can’t use it by law. Tinned I would think there’s less chance just because there’s no O2 exposure or moisture loss in a sealed tin.
Lane 1Q has been fine for me. I suppose that I should try a small tin of something with a bit of cherry and see what I find.

Thank you, everyone, for the input.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I'll just add that it's usually the less expensive toppings on the cheaper aromatic mixtures that cause the issues.

Better smoking through chemistry is sometimes not so good.

The more premium grades should give fewer headaches (no pun intended), cellar a bit better (not that aromatics are cellar champs), and taste better. Much better toppings. That's why I mentioned a Boswells blend for that particular aromatic variety. As cherries go, it's excellent.

Top Bottom