What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Hi,

Open Comb Tober? Kewl! I should have a new OC Fasan Double Slant razor here in a couple days. Something new to me, and I usually take a month using something new anyway. So, a combination deal, as it were. :thumbup1:

OCtober it shall be!

Stan

I had a delivery from Spain today, many thanks to Rafael & Juan!!

View attachment 370572View attachment 370589

Special thin, short Tornado with 2013 R41 head on the left. Short Kaiser with FatTip Piccolo head on the right.

Apologies to Rafael, my shoddy camera work can't do justice to his masterpieces in metal.

Oh my friend. You have something very special there. Rafael's aristocrat style has led to the pinnacle of perfection and elegance. You not only have unique functional pieces of shaving art, the object of desire of classic shaving addicts. You have also a piece of Rafael. A piece of his dreams, a piece of his joy, a piece of his passion. You have also a piece of Andalusia, a piece of South. Enjoy them in good health for many many years!!!

Well, today I am a poet. But friends like you and your kindly words are the food for our souls.

Well Shave two went much better same set up but still a little irritation/razor burn and only two three small weepers. But again another super close shave.

Guess since I seem to be reaching for my 30's Gillette New OC, long comb type more often than any of my other razors I might be eligible for BOTOC.

Hi,

Open Comb Tober? Kewl! I should have a new OC Fasan Double Slant razor here in a couple days. Something new to me, and I usually take a month using something new anyway. So, a combination deal, as it were. :thumbup1:

OCtober it shall be!

Stan
Want one soo bad it makes me this.....
$dawson_crying.gif

Well Shave two went much better same set up but still a little irritation/razor burn and only two three small weepers. But again another super close shave.
Is that with the NEW?
What blade are you using?
As has been said, the NEW is a beautiful shaver and the pinnacle of Gillette's open comb craftsmanship, so it's definitely worth perservering to unlock the full magic.
The geometry is so good, you just have to let it rest in your hand then let gravity and inertia do the rest :001_smile
Anyway, you've got a really nice selection of vintage OCs so enjoy!

+1 Dear Doctor, mighty words from you. :ouch1::ouch1::ouch1: Well said.

Oh my friend. You have something very special there. Rafael's aristocrat style has led to the pinnacle of perfection and elegance. You not only have unique functional pieces of shaving art, the object of desire of classic shaving addicts. You have also a piece of Rafael. A piece of his dreams, a piece of his joy, a piece of his passion. You have also a piece of Andalusia, a piece of South. Enjoy them in good health for many many years!!!

Well, today I am a poet. But friends like you and your kindly words are the food for our souls.

I haven't used the R41/Tornado combination yet, but I am using my FaTip/Kaiser setup & enjoying it immensely. The shaves are closer than they were when I used the stock FaTip handle & as the Kaiser is so much heavier , I don't have to pay too much attention to pressure, as the razor does this for me.

Many thanks again.

I had my first shave with a 15mm NEW Deluxe head on a Weber bulldog handle last night. (thanks for the trade Mike!)

It feels different to the other NEW's to me, maybe a touch more aggressive, but a very nice shave.

The head will be sent to Dave for a replate sometime soon with any luck.

I just need to find the 17mm version now, i think that will complete my Gillette OC collection....for now.

Last edited:
Not many open comb razors in the collection since I'm mainly an SE guy. I had a Muhle R41 (2011) at one time and I didn't think it was aggressive it's too bad I gave it away to a friend. The tiny collection includes a Fatip Grande, Cadet Robusto (01SS), Gillette New Ball End handle and Gillette New Bar handle (both long combs). There may be only 4 open combs that I currently own but they are excellent shavers. For a long time I only used closed combs I have a hard time going back to them except my Gillette Red Tip. Nice club you guys got here.
$DE Razors ALL.jpg

Not many open comb razors in the collection since I'm mainly an SE guy. I had a Muhle R41 (2011) at one time and I didn't think it was aggressive it's too bad I gave it away to a friend. The tiny collection includes a Fatip Grande, Cadet Robusto (01SS), Gillette New Ball End handle and Gillette New Bar handle (both long combs). There may be only 4 open combs that I currently own but they are excellent shavers. For a long time I only used closed combs I have a hard time going back to them except my Gillette Red Tip. Nice club you guys got here.
View attachment 371035
Sounds like someone wants to join a exclusive club......do you?

Top Bottom