What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Like I said, I gave up on it. I cannot shave with it at all. I did make it with two passes, but did not like the way it felt. It did cut smooth to the skin. After second pass, I decided to switch over to another "KNOWN" shaver to finish up with.

Frank, this thread shows a mismatch simliar to yours:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/146125-Help-Mismatched-Cap-amp-Comb-on-NEW

Haven't finished reading the thread yet to see where it came from. :)

Ah, reading the thread further, yes it appears that your cap is from a SC New. The SC apparently can accept larger corner nibs, and still close, whereas the LC can not. I'd definitely encourage you to try a properly matched LC New...they're awesome.

Last edited:
Who knows, maybe someone has a complete razor with a wiped out comb on it that is willing to let it go cheap. The teeth on this comb are all perfect and straight. That's what sold me on the razor to begin with.

Indeed..the comb's the one that's most likely to get bent or broken. So if you ever get an LC New, you'll have a nice backup comb for it (and a handle).

Who knows, maybe someone has a complete razor with a wiped out comb on it that is willing to let it go cheap. The teeth on this comb are all perfect and straight. That's what sold me on the razor to begin with.

Mr. Elderberr99-
I think the issue is a short comb cap on a long comb base plate. The short comb baseplate has cut-outs at the corners to accommodate the longer stabilizing posts on the cap's corners.
Before you toss the shaver you might grab a small metal file and grind it down a little, finishing up with 220 grade sandpaper and steel wool. I'll bet it wouldn't take more than a couple of minutes and then you're ready to lather.

Mr. Elderberr99-
I think the issue is a short comb cap on a long comb base plate. The short comb baseplate has cut-outs at the corners to accommodate the longer stabilizing posts on the cap's corners.
Before you toss the shaver you might grab a small metal file and grind it down a little, finishing up with 220 grade sandpaper and steel wool. I'll bet it wouldn't take more than a couple of minutes and then you're ready to lather.
How much do i remove though? Do I take it down flush?

Yep, although just barely active these days, sadly. I need to get back into it! I do plan to go to Dayton Hamvention this year (easy for me, since I'm in IN). I have social group set up for Hams, although just a few folks have joined so far. Go to the community tab, then groups, and join the Ham group. I've got a call sign registry thread started there, as well as one for Hamvention 2012.

James, I just noticed your sig. Are you a ham op?

I served on my local EOC for years during emergencies. Enjoyed it very much for many years. Sadly miss it now. Wife says to get back into it thinking it's like just a matter of running to local Radio Shack and buying an 11 meter handheld. If she only knew!!!!

I've been reading this thread off and on ever since it was started; now I've finally decided to give my OC a try. It is a GEM MicroMatic (MMOC). I've heard this is a very aggressive razor, so I think I'll let my beard grow out for 2 or even 3 days and then try it just on the cheeks at first..

Good luck Jim!! Many here LOVE the OCMM....I know it's one of Johnnie's favorite!

Hi Ken,I'm not a member of BOTOC yet,but I also ordered a Fatip Grande.I understand the Joris has a similiar or the same head depending on who you ask.I used a Red IP in my Joris and got great results and I'll probably use the same blade in the Fatip.

Hey Gerry...thanks for your input brother!

My question to any of my brothers that own either the Fatip or Muhle 2008/9 R41, what is your favorite blade combo with this razor???? My brother seems not to get a close shave with his....and from what Ive read this is a fairly aggressive razor...a step below my much loved 2011 R41

Well, I've only had two shaves with my Fatip Piccolo so far, with a Treet Platinum, and I got a very close shave with it. Next shave (which will hopefully be with the Fatip Grande that is on its way) I'll use an Iridium Super, which is a blade that really works well for me in aggressive razors, including my 2011 R41.

Ok, did a little filing and polishing. Here is what the cap looks ike now. One pic has the razor blade in place as well.
$IMG_1013.jpg$IMG_1014.jpg$IMG_1015.jpg

Top Bottom