What's new

Bourbon

The only one I really liked was the "Double Aged" black bottle. The regular white one my father drank some, always gave me bad heartburn and generally an upset tummy with just a shot or two (really not that much at all was bad news for me).

How do those two compare? Smooth neat or over rocks?
For the price point, I don't think you can go wrong. The Old Tub is a go-to for me and I enjoy it neat or with a rock or two. It is smooth enough to drink straight so I have never attempted to mix it.

Just picked this one up. SO good!
1679662894994.png

As so many have already said Wild Turkey 101 is pretty much one the best you can get for money.
Buffalo Trace is also very good bourbon for money. Little bite sweeter comparing to 101.
Also, would recommend eagle rare 10. It has very nice charred barrel and woody taste.

Ordered what I thought was Evan Williams White label at a bar near me a few weeks ago. Quite enjoyed the pour. Find out it's Evan Williams Single Barrel. Go online and it's a $27 bottle. Go to the store and can't find it. Google it... and last year they made it Kentucky only. Ask at the bar and evidently they can still get it though? No idea what the story is; but it's quite a yummy little bourbon for $27, I'd buy it at $40 even.

If you can find it. My suspicion is it's not REALLY KY only... but it's rare enough outside it that it can't be gotten in PA (One of the worst states for buying booze b/c of our terrible liquor laws).

I’m getting more and more into bourbons over the last year. I started off on the 80’s proof stuff, but now days prefer my bourbon to be a little higher proof.

Some of my favorites are

Wild Turkey 101: This has become my favorite bourbon in the mid $20 range. A great affordable sipper after a hard days work or while kicking back and watching a movie or sports.

Eagle Rare: I tried this a couple of years ago and it tasted like a more matured Buffalo Trace. But lately (6 months ago) I’ve tried it and it’s a little different. It tastes better now. I like it for a bourbon in the high $30’s. Just wish it was more available.

4 Roses single barrel: I like this one quite a bit. Used to get it in the mid $40 range. But now I’m seeing it in the higher $40 range. I like it on ice, as it’s higher proof and the ice tames down the heat a little bit and brings out some extra flavors. I’ve enjoyed it more than some more expensive bourbons I’ve tried.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed: This has become on of my favorites. I can taste some of the Wild Turkey 101 flavors that I like. But it’s smoother and has a little more going on in the finish. Even though this is a higher proof bourbon. I can enjoy it straight. The nose on it really good!! For a bourbon in the low $50 range. This is my new favorite.

I’m going to be trying a couple of more bourbons soon. Hope to find another new found favorite, that I can let you know about.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
@ByMyBeard suggested trying a high rye bourbon. I'd suggest going straight to rye. Some good ones that are easy to find and won't break the bank are Rittenhouse and Old Overholt. My son in law is the GM at Milam and Greene. Their Port finished is a little more but worth it, superb. If you like Dalmore Cigar Malt, you might like it.

I am sure I could dig this up in this forum but I really don't want to look. I like a good Scotch Whiskey I don't really care for regular whiskey. I have never drank Bourbon. I would like to give it a try. What do y'all recommend for a good bourbon to drink neat or on the rocks without breaking the bank?
I was quite pleased with my birthday/Christmas gift from SWMBO...a bottle of Jim Beam Double Oaked. It was my first bourbon...and quite nice! I think it was a good first step.

OP starts a thread a year ago asking for an affordable bourbon. Somehow thread comes back to life.

Some suggestions are for affordable options. But some of y’all live in a different price zone with what you consider affordable! Also, rye and gin aren’t bourbon.

Anyway, I suspect OP tried an affordable bourbon a long time ago. Will we ever learn what was selected and if it was enjoyed? Something tells me not to hold my breath.

Good bourbon doesn't have to be so expensive most people can't afford to buy a bottle and try it.

>$50 is getting a bit spendy for most people but, to someone who buys wine regularly, it is basically just a 'drop in the bucket' IMHO.

Most aged bourbons to me are good. Each has its own 'character'. For someone with low experience levels, a super expensive wine or bourbon is generally lost on them in my experience. Once you start to notice subtle flavors and different finishes, that's where the subtleties of expensive wines and bourbons start to make sense but, different people with different expectations will all have different opinions on what is good or bad.

errr ... 🤬 why does auto-correct change my sentences to gibberish?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Good bourbon doesn't have to be so expensive most people can't afford to buy a bottle and try it.

>$50 is getting a bit spendy for most people but, to someone who buys wine regularly, it is basically just a 'drop in the bucket' IMHO.

Most aged bourbons to me are good. Each has its own 'character'. For someone with low experience levels, a super expensive wine or bourbon is generally lost on them in my experience. Once you start to notice subtle flavors and different finishes, that's where the subtleties of expensive wines and bourbons start to make sense but, different people with different expectations will all have different opinions on what is good or bad.

Amen!!! Evan Williams bottled in bond is about $22 for a HANDLE and is a terrific bourbon. Double the outlay and try Knob Creek, still a solid 100 proof but subtly both more intense and more nuanced. There are a raft of excellent bourbons, displaying a wide range of characteristics, in that price range (various expressions of Old Grand Dad, Old Forester, Wild Turkey, Four Roses, etc.).Not a big bump, but you can try Woodford Reserve, Wathen's, Willet, and more. You can have a ton of variety and fun before you nudge $200 for a fifth. Every now and then you stumble onto a gem, like Old Rip 10 YO for $30 was not that long ago! Don't forget to look beyond KY. Might I suggest Milam and Greene very small bstch?

You’re probably right. When I first started I don’t think I would have liked the bourbons I like now.

A couple of others in the $20 range that I’ve tried and like, besides Wild Turkey 101 are:

Buffalo Trace if you can find it. I don’t have any problems. But I hear others do.

Bulliet Bourbon

Early times Bottled in bond

I'll have to try that one next time I leave my DRY County (Texas).

Funny thing about early times BiB

I watched some reviews about it and it sounded little like a a decent bourbon. Bought a bottle and cracked it open as soon as I got home, as I was excited to try it.

It was terrible. Tasted like cheap rot gut. Figured it would be ok for whiskey cola’s and cooking. But no way could I drink it otherwise.

About a month later I gave it one more try. I couldn’t believe how much better it tasted? Figured drinking a little and letting it air out must have made the difference?

Now I get that caramel flavor that they were talking about.

So don’t curse me if it doesn’t taste good the first time. LoL.

Top Bottom