What's new

Bourbon

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I am sure I could dig this up in this forum but I really don't want to look. I like a good Scotch Whiskey I don't really care for regular whiskey. I have never drank Bourbon. I would like to give it a try. What do y'all recommend for a good bourbon to drink neat or on the rocks without breaking the bank?

I’ll second Wild Turkey 101! One of my favorites regardless of its more reasonable price point.

Some other good bottles I’ve had:
Knob Creek
Eagle Rare
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked (I liked this better than the regular but still quite good WR)
Elijah Craig is super smooth too

WT101, Knob Creek, WR double oaked all stand up to ice quite well, ime. They also drink really well neat too. WT101 is my personal favorite though.

I’m going to be following this thread with interest! Want to see what else gets recommended! 🥃🥃

M

member 131028

I would suggest Old Grand Dad 114 proof. Plenty on OGD 100 in town, the 114 can be found but it takes a few stops. Turkey 101 and some of the Knob Creek 120 single barrels are solid choices too.

I am sure I could dig this up in this forum but I really don't want to look. I like a good Scotch Whiskey I don't really care for regular whiskey. I have never drank Bourbon. I would like to give it a try. What do y'all recommend for a good bourbon to drink neat or on the rocks without breaking the bank?
First, it might help to know what you don't care about with "regular" whiskey. Also, what type of Scotch to you typically enjoy?
With that in mind, I know a lot of Scotch drinkers may find bourbon to be too sweet. Not sure if that's where you fall. I'd maybe start with something with a higher rye content in the mashbill. WT101 and Four Roses (single barrel, small batch, small batch select) would be pretty good options. OGD also has a pretty high rye content compared with others.
If you enjoy some of the finished scotches, you can likely find a bourbon finished in similar casks as well.
In general, there's so much out there, it's almost difficult to determine where to start. Just don't fall for the trap that more money is more better. Good luck, and enjoy the journey!

I have a small liquor store in Austin that caters to bartenders, Austin Shaker. Their selections of whiskey and gin are phenomenal. They usually have OGD BIB. Total Wine has not had any for awhile. If you like gin, I got a bottle of Isle of Harris there. Wow!
I do like The Botanist from Islay but haven’t had the Harris yet. Perhaps something for the coming summer :)

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
First, it might help to know what you don't care about with "regular" whiskey. Also, what type of Scotch to you typically enjoy?
With that in mind, I know a lot of Scotch drinkers may find bourbon to be too sweet. Not sure if that's where you fall. I'd maybe start with something with a higher rye content in the mashbill. WT101 and Four Roses (single barrel, small batch, small batch select) would be pretty good options. OGD also has a pretty high rye content compared with others.
If you enjoy some of the finished scotches, you can likely find a bourbon finished in similar casks as well.
In general, there's so much out there, it's almost difficult to determine where to start. Just don't fall for the trap that more money is more better. Good luck, and enjoy the journey!
My go to Scotch is usually McCallan 12 year. As far as regular whiskey maybe it was just because the only thing I ever had access to was Black Velvet. I really disliked it and navigated to blended scotch and then single malt.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have a small liquor store in Austin that caters to bartenders, Austin Shaker. Their selections of whiskey and gin are phenomenal. They usually have OGD BIB. Total Wine has not had any for awhile. If you like gin, I got a bottle of Isle of Harris there. Wow!
Maybe I will do a road trip to Austin some day. In the scheme of Texas, Carrollton to Austin is barely a road trip. :lol: I like Gin in a dry martini, I usually don't drink it otherwise.

My typical bourbon is Evan Williams. It is fairly inexpensive, but I like it better than the high proof Maker's Mark I have tried. In the midrange price point, Woodford and Elijah Craig are really good choices and are definitely a step up. I would love to try something like Buffalo Trace, but I haven't had the opportunity without breaking the bank.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
@BigFoot I’m pretty sure I’ve posted this pic before but if you find yourself in the Indianapolis area let me know. I can school you on bourbon. Have some Scotch, Irish, Japanese, and Taiwanese Whisky as well.
FF9FD9BD-A7F6-4F89-BBE4-FF130D291030.jpeg

Are you wanting a true bourbon experience or would you like to stay "scotch-ie"? Not break the bank... Bourbon - Evan Williams Bottled in Bond. Scotch-ie - High West Campfire.

Top Bottom