What's new

Bourbon

I'm surprized no one has said Basil Hayden. Made by Beam but is a whole lot smoother with much richer flavor.

proxy.php

I'm surprized no one has said Basil Hayden. Made by Beam but is a whole lot smoother with much richer flavor.

Basil Hayden is Old Grand Dad that has been watered down to 80 proof and has a pricetag commensurate with its very nice packaging. It's good, but the Grand Dad 114 (114 proof) or the Bond (100 proof) might be even more pleasing, for about 1/2 the price - and be well under the $40 limit the OP asked for.

You can always add your own water to taste with higher proof bottlings.

Roger

Last edited:
I have tried a couple Japanese bourbons (the names escape me) and they were quite good. I tasted them at Emeril Lagasse's steakhouse's bar in the Venetian in Las Vegas. Wandered in there for an expense account lunch while at a conference and ended up sitting at the bar. The young man tending the bar was a bourbon savant with a freakish amount of knowledge. The bourbon list had at least sixty different kinds and I had more than a few of them (at about $12 per pour). Then a salesman showed up with more samples and things went quickly downhill from there. My point is, check out Emeril's bar at the Venetian in Vegas if you have a taste for bourbon, I can't imagine a place better stocked or with more knowledgeable barkeeps.

Basil Hayden is Old Grand Dad that has been watered down to 80 proof and has a pricetag commensurate with its very nice packaging. It's good, but the Grand Dad 114 (114 proof) or the Bond (100 proof) might be even more pleasing, for about 1/2 the price - and be well under the $40 limit the OP asked for.

You can always add your own water to taste with higher proof bottlings.

Roger

I agree with recommending Bonded Old Granddad. It is a fantastic buy-7yrs old, single barrel,and 100 proof(per us federal law).:thumbup1:

George Dickle Brown Label Sour Mash Bourbon.

Also recommend Rebel Yell Sour Mash Bourbon.

Either makes the best whiskey sour you ever had.

...my budget is under $40.00 a bottle...

If you can find some Pappy Van Winkle 20 year Family Reserve, grab it up. It is a very fine bourbon.

Pappy is indeed an excellent wheater. Unfortunately, it's never been offered under the $40 a bottle budget of the OP, and I doubt it's seen much under $85. Even Pappy 15 and Lot B are now only seen south of $40 if there's a pricing error. They're great wheat bourbons, though.

The best example of the Pappy Van Winkle style that would be under $30 would be the Weller 12 - except for the fastidiousness of barrel selection it's the same as Van Winkle Lot B. Shown are the old and new bottle styles. If you find one where the city is stated as Louisville , it may be even better than the Frankfort ones.

Also, if you happen to see what I like to call a "dusty" bottle of Weller Centennial sitting on the shelf, it's an especially good example of this style.

Roger

Last edited:
My favorite go to bourbon is Four Roses. It is smooth and very reasonably priced. The small batch and single barrel bottles are even better but a little more expensive. Makers Mark is also very good.

With the high temperatures here in Atlanta the last month or so, I have enjoyed some ice cold mint juleps with Four Roses. Absolutely refreshing, hard to describe until you enjoy one in the heat.

Gary

My favorite go to bourbon is Four Roses. It is smooth and very reasonably priced. The small batch and single barrel bottles are even better but a little more expensive. Makers Mark is also very good.

With the high temperatures here in Atlanta the last month or so, I have enjoyed some ice cold mint juleps with Four Roses. Absolutely refreshing, hard to describe until you enjoy one in the heat.

Gary

Ahhh mint juleps! That's what ill use the plethora of mint in my vegetable garden for.

+1 on the Elijah. Great smoky bourbon, pure and not too firey, from the folks that invented the method for firing barrels that gives bourbon it's quintessential taste.

Other good quality bourbons that stray away from the well known such as makers and woodford are Four Roses, and if you can hunt a bottle down there is Black Maple small batch bourbon, a glorious firey sip, sitting at a cool 95 proof with a beautiful rich red hue. A personal favourite in that old favourite the sazerac, the punchy strength of this overproof playing nicely with the herbisant flavours. between 35-40 for a bottle, it's well worth the initial investment.

And on the subject of Rye, (As Rughi said, Ave duci novo, simlis ducu seneci!) There is Rittenhouse Rye from Pensylvania, a traditional style american rye thats an excellent example of this fine, oft overlooked spirit.

Happy drinking!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Ezra Brooks (But not the 4yo in the round green label bottle... the square bottles)
Jim Beam... a classic with character and not too expensive... fantastic for mixing

BTW, officially, Jack Daniels is not a bourbon, though it is similar enough to pass for one. It IS a sour mash whiskey, but not technically a bourbon.

In the $40 and under category, you have plenty of very good choices!
I'd say the Four Roses Single Barrel, Woodford Reserve, Old Grand Dad 114, Elmer T. Lee 90 proof are all very nice. You can get a very good cross section of flavors between these bourbons listed.
Or, save up another $10 and get some Blantons.....

Evan Williams Single Barrel is my absolute go-to when it comes to bourbon. I've tried many bourbons between $25-50 and I've never found anything that I enjoy more. The reasonable price is just a bonus.

Here's the stuff. Its just superb for sipping and mixing. I have the 1997. My sense is their quality control is excellent.

Has anyone mentioned Blanton single barrel? It's only in your price range when it's on sale but give it a go if you can.
proxy.php

It's very smooth, has a vanilla and caramel finish to me. Others say honey and spice but either way it's very good.

Reading this thread has been leading me to drink. I was running low of my favoured bourbon, Woodford Reserve, so I went to the liquor store to only find out they're out-of-stock. So, based on a couple of recommendations here, I picked up a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon. Very good stuff and it's less expensive than Woodford.

Last edited:
Top Bottom