What's new

Blade Sample Update

I have some astras on order. So I hope I like them, I would like to have a couple different blades in my arsenal.If not there are more oput there to try!:tongue_sm

Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, Round 2, Shave 1 - I must confess, the Yellow surprised me a little bit today. I had low expectations, based on the first experience with the yellows. Today's shave required a bit more touch up than I've seen with other blades on the first day of use, but I got a very nice two-pass DFS today with absolutely no irritation. I still felt just a bit of tugging, similar to the first go-round, but overall not too shabby.

I don't see the Yellows as blades that I'll want to buy again (they're adequate but there are better blades for me), but I can see how some folks may like them.

I have some astras on order. So I hope I like them, I would like to have a couple different blades in my arsenal.If not there are more oput there to try!:tongue_sm

If your face is anything like mine, the Astras should treat you well. As you say though, there are many more to try if they don't work out.

Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, Round 2, Shave 2 - This blade keeps surprising me. Another DFS with the yellows and no irritation.

On another note, I've got to give some love to the plain ol' VDH soap that comes in the beginner Wal Mart/Walgreens/Target/et al kit. It smells nice, and whether I lather it up in a bowl or on my face I always get a good creamy lather. Can't ask for much more than that in a soap.

I had a nice surprise in the mailbox yesterday, I ordered some feathers about a month ago I had forgotten about. Well as any well read beginner I was a little afraid to try them, due to the "warnings". I just finished a 3 pass and OMG! they are awesome. it thought the dorco was treating me right, and they do, the feather showed me what a "true" bbs is. very pleased:thumbup1:

I had a nice surprise in the mailbox yesterday, I ordered some feathers about a month ago I had forgotten about. Well as any well read beginner I was a little afraid to try them, due to the "warnings". I just finished a 3 pass and OMG! they are awesome. it thought the dorco was treating me right, and they do, the feather showed me what a "true" bbs is. very pleased:thumbup1:

Excellent. Glad you got a good shave with the Feathers. Looking forward to hearing how they hold up for you.

Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, Round 2, Shave 3 - Another 2 pass DFS with the Yellows today. I'm having to rethink my initial opinion on this one; it almost seems as on the second and third shaves it has smoothed out a bit. I've not noticed any of the tugging that I got on the first use of the Yellows in general, or on the first shave for this particular blade. I might have to reverse my original opinion in the face of new evidence and say this blade could be a keeper - we'll see.

Since I gave some love to VDH soap yesterday, I'm going to have to give some minor jeers to the Col Conk Bayrum soap today. The lather on this soap seems to deteriorate much quicker than the VDH (my only other soap reference at this point). I've been face lathering, and I get a decent lather for the first pass, but by the time I go back to the brush for the second pass it's like the lather has just evaporated and I get just a thin film that doesn't want to work back into a lather. I'll keep working on it, but at this point I'm glad I only bought a small puck of the Conk.

gave my face a break today.....really I had no time for a shave. so no round 2 on the feather.My room mate has TOBS sandlewood and I tried it,that stuff just keeps on going! A little definetly goes a long ways. My daily is kiss my face key lime, it takes a little experimentation it seems. At first I was using two pumps, and found you really only need one for a three pass. I also found instead of just going around in a circular motion in my shave bowl back and forth makes a good foam. I really like it. I keep seeing the VDH,and I should just try it. I just had it in my mind "soap" = harsh. Like dry your face out. But I am going to give that a shot as well. That's the fun in this for me right now, trying out new stuff as my wallet allows!:tongue_sm

Personna Lab, Round 2, Shave 1 - had planned to stay with the Yellow one more day, but plans changed. Although my face felt pretty smooth after yesterday's shave, I noticed that my stubble was back pretty quickly yesterday which indicates to me that the shave wasn't as close as I thought - new blade time!

I had a pretty good shave with the Labs today except for a pretty nasty gash on my neck (not the blades fault).

I was attempting a true WTG second pass. For me that means a slight uphill stroke on the right side of my neck from Adam's apple to earlobe. I'm a southpaw, so that angle would be a little too tough to pull off with my dominant hand. Apparently it's a little too difficult to pull off with my off hand too :)

Anyhow, it was nothing that a styptic pencil and band-aid couldn't cure. I got a good shave plus a free life-lesson on how not to shave my neck.

Last edited:
I enjoy reading this thread.

I especially like your detailed commentary and that you're going back through the blades a second time, which I think is a great idea.

Keep up the good work!

I enjoy reading this thread.

I especially like your detailed commentary and that you're going back through the blades a second time, which I think is a great idea.

Keep up the good work!

It's funny, I was just thinking the same thing. A very enjoyable thread.

okay as promised, second day of the feather........and no blood! (yet) Again I got a great shave, very impressed. As I have mentioned before, I don't have a heavy beard so seems to be cutting great. I think you had the breakdown on day 3, so we'll see. I like them for sure! Now I only have 9, I better order some more!
Have a great shave fella's:thumbup:

I think I should get a package of derby's today, next weeks blade....today will be day three of the feather....Saturdays are great! even if it is raining:001_tongu

Cmyoung19, try overloading the brush on the Col Conk. I would suggest trying something a bit like what I do with VDH. Since it's a hard soap I put a bit of water, enough to cover the top on it while I took my shower. Empty the water and with a lightly damp brush load for 45 secs to 1 min (I got 1 min), then take it to the bowl for 1 more min. Last night I got a real nice yogurt like consistency with it, enough for 4 passes at least.

If your lather looks like paste after something like this, add a drop of water at a time until you get the yogurt look. Good luck!

Personna Lab, Round 2, Day 3 - fantastic shave today! The Labs delivered a very comfortable and close 2 pass DFS today. Face feels great after an Ice Blue A/V splash.

I did switch up the lathering with the Col Conk today. I've been mostly face lathering, but the Conk doesn't seem to like that for me. I tried overloading a dry brush as suggested and then bowl lathering it today and got TONS of lather. I still need to work on the consistency a bit (just a touch thin), but the volume is definitely there.

Top Bottom