What's new

Best military quotes.

I don't remember the exact line, but in the Napoleonic wars, a British cavalry captain knew he was hated by his men, since he was a martinet and in general, a holy terror on his own side.

Sitting his horse in front of his squadron, he looks over his shoulder and says something like "Men, I know you hate me. But please let me be killed by the enemy." Since back then a shot to the back more or less was 'proof' of cowardice from running away, and he knew the odds of him surviving the front rank of a massed cavalry charge were pretty low.

Never did find out who got him, but he didn't survive the battle.

Weekend safety briefing a former flight sergeant of mine used to give,with minor variations, for about a year:

"If you're going to drive, don't drink, if you're going to drink, don't drive. Always bring a buddy, always have a plan. You all have my number if the plan fails. If you're going to tap it, wrap it, if not, name it after me......"

Thankfully, there is not a platoon of little Jherome's running around.........

Trim your nose hair! Spoken by CSM Carter to me during an inspection. No my nose hair was not long ,but no one passes one of his inspections. This was a common gig. Yes the Carter from the sniper hand book. That little man was Scary.

"We must remember that one man is much the same as another,
and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
(Thucydides)

"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"Dan Daly (I love the fact that this is carved on the walls at the museum)

"Any officer can get by in his sergeants. To be a sergeant you have to know your stuff. I'd rather be an outstanding sergeant than just another officer." Again Dan Daly

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It's only a movie, but still ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
"You know, Foley, I only have one eye — I have the right to be blind sometimes ...I really do not see the signal!"

--Horatio, Lord Nelson, at the Battle of Copenhagen.

"By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
"By God, sir, so you have!"

exchange between Lord Uxbridge and the Duke of Wellington, at the Battle of Waterloo

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

I don't know if its a real quote by a member of the military, the first place I heard it was on Generation Kill

"The fact is, people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can"

Looks like it might be from an Orson Scott Card book.

And the already mentioned film Pattons "I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country."

And finally one that I just kind of like

Every time Metsler says, "Lead, follow, or get out of the way," I get out of the way.

I am inclined to sweat them tonight so that I may save their blood tomorrow.
Cannot remember the authors name.

"My fellow Americans. I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."
(Reagan)

"In war there is no substitute for victory." - General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

MacArthur is, in my opinion, one of the greatest generals of all time. A firm believer in total war, I wish we had more like him who believed in utterly crushing the enemy.

"In war there is no substitute for victory." - General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

MacArthur is, in my opinion, one of the greatest generals of all time. A firm believer in total war, I wish we had more like him who believed in utterly crushing the enemy.
During WWII a reported asked Gen. Eisenhower, "Do you know Gen. Douglas McArthur?"

Eisenhower, who had served on McArthur's staff, replied, "Yes, I studied dramatics under him."

Top Bottom