What's new

Best military quotes.

To the German Commander.

NUTS!

The American Commander

Attributed to General Anthony Clement "Nuts" McAuliffe on 22-Dec-1944

“In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.” -Dwight D. Eisenhower

“Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.” -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"No man ever won a war by dying for his country. Wars were won by making the other poor bastard die for his." - George C. Scott as Patton

and

"Coffee tastes better if the latrines are dug downstream from an encampment" - US Army Field Regulations, 1861

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
"No man ever won a war by dying for his country. Wars were won by making the other poor bastard die for his." - George C. Scott as Patton
FonGu:
proxy.php
...that being the object of war. :blushing:

proxy.php
"Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle". GEN George S. Patton

We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people.

General Rick Hillier Chief of the Defence Staff.

When the Germans shoot, The British duck
When the British shoot, the Germans duck
When the Americans shoot, everybody ducks.

-anonymous (WW2)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
That is a really good one, never heard it before. Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome! Here is another of my favorites.

To be born free is an accident. To live free is a privilege. To die free is a responsibility.

-Brig. Gen. James Sehorn

Oooh! This is tough.
"Never in the history of human endeavor have so many surrendered so much to so few." Anthony Eden in a telegram to Winston Churchill following a stunning victory by a small number of British troops over superior Italian forces in North Africa. He was paraphrasing Churchill's famous line about the RAF in the Battle of Britian.

"Hit 'em where they ain't." Nathan Bedford Forrest sumarising the essence of his tactics.

"How easy to kill a man! But I did not worry about it. I found I had fired the whole magazine of my Mauser pistol, so I put in a new clip of ten cartridges before thinking of anything else." Winston Churchill writing about his experiences in the cavalry charge in the battle of Omdurman. He had killed an enemy armed with a spear at the range of less than a yard.

"He has lost his left arm but I have lost my right." Robert E. Lee commenting on the wounds Gen. 'Stonewall' Jackson recieved from friendly fire in the battle of Chancelorsville. Jackson died from complications of his wounds shortly thereafter.

And finally a non-quote that's often quoted
"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he that sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother, be he so vile."
Shakespeare's eloquent Henry V as the day of battle dawns at Angincourt.

They say “you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.” In the Marine Corps, you can make that horse wish to hell he had.

"Kiss me, Hardy" - Nelson

“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.” - churchill

"Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred." - Tennyson

"Maxim eighteen: If the officers are leading from in front, watch out for an attack from the rear." - Howard Tayler

"Never do an enemy a small injury"- Niccolo Machiavelli

"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over "- Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women" - Conan the Barbarian

"The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" - Wilfred Owen

This one is from a carrier fighter pilot who was stationed in the pacific during WW II (1943-1945).

He told me this during an interview I did with him several years ago. He has since passed away.

"Aerial combat is hours and hours of boring, routine, flying punctuated by a few seconds of sheer terror"

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Sir Winston Churchill said;

As he anticipates the upcoming Battle of Britain after the defeat of the Battle of Dunkirk before the House of Commons - 18 June, 40.

"Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will say, this was their
finest hour
."

After the Battle of Britain, 21 August, 40

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill, after 1940

$churchill1.jpg

proxy.php
"From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic, an Iron Curtain has descended across the Continent". Sir Winston Churchill, Westminster College, Fulton, Missouri, March 5, 45 (and the begining of the Cold War).

Top Bottom