What's new

Best low priced brush --- Tweezerman , Escali , etc ?

I have had my Tweezerman for three years. Still is fine, in fact better than when it was new. But Omegas, Vie-Longs, Semogue, Turkish #6 are all good options too. There are a lot of choices to get an outstanding brush at a small price.

Not that there is anything wrong with higher priced brushes either. Decide what you want and how much you wish to pay.

On a budget I would go with the Omega 48 or 49. Great brushes for very little money. Break in is pretty quick and they work equally well with soaps or creams.

I am not sure if you can get either of these where you are. I only have two brushes - a Vulfix 404 mixed and a Wilkinson sword bristle. I use them a week about and both knock up a great four pass lather with my preferred Palmolive stick and face lathering. I keep looking at Simpsons and Rooneys but for the first time in my fifty years it seems I am able to maintain control of my AD predisposition.

Both the above great for me.

my only experience with boars have been the three pictured in my profile here. the two are GARBAGE and the home made handle one got better after i broke it in a little and use a better soap. boar + Williams = no good.
with that being said,, im sure there are good boar brushes. i just haven't tried them.

as for badgers,, (besides the tweezerman) i have two with similar knots as the twzr. and one with a big ole fan knot.
pretty sure all came from china, all were under $12. ...$10/$12 right in there. all perform alike. (differences too close to call)

Simple answer, although perhaps not the one you expected: forget about wasting your money on a $13 badger brush and spend less on an Omega boar brush (the Pro 49 is what I have). I also have a few mid to high end badgers and, once that Omega broke in, it was every bit as soft as my badgers which cost 5 times the price.

If cost is the issue, boars will always outperform similarly-priced badgers at the low end.

I've got a Tweezerman from Amazon and an Omega boar/badger mix (11047, I think) that I got from WCS. Of the two, I prefer the Tweezerman, but it's entirely subjective - it just feels better, and I think it does a better job of lathering my face. Your face and your lather are likely to be entirely different.

I think both are good value are are good starter brushes. For me, both will soon be replaced by various others (restorations or homemade). Of the two, I think the Omega is better made - the Tweezerman is all about the knot, and has a wood handle that looks and feels cheap.

FWIW, my Tweezerman had a noticeable animal smell that has dissipated over time.

Also FWIW, I usually use cream rather than soap.

I would definitely recommend the Omegas being tossed around. I ordered and sent back three Tweezerman's from two different vendors because they shed like crazy.

Omega. Low price badger < Boar < 'best badger' in terms of brushes under $50.

If you're going to spend less then 50, get a boar. if you're going to spend more then 50, get a simpson in best.
this is just to start though. simpson best badger is a gateway drug to Lee Sabini, Lee Sabini is a gateway drug to Thater and Plisson

I have been using Parker's Black Badger (at Amazon for $25 plus stand and free shipping) since July this year and absolutely love it. I used a cheap Sally's synthetic brush ($5) until the Parker came in and never went back. I have not noticed it losing any hairs whatsoever which is a plus for me. I tried a VDH brush that came with the Deluxe kit ($10) I recently snagged at Rite Aid. Not so good. As with all things, YMMV.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I was pretty surprised that I was so far down the page before I found this;

Tweezerman brushes have great bristles, but the handle is total crap and the knot has a tendency of falling out.
I'd put my vote on the Shea Moisture brush that some Targets have - $9 can't be beat.

I couldn't agree more.
The Shea isn't as "prickly" as the Tweezerman. Though some feel it lacks backbone, I've never had an issue lathering up even the hardest of triple milled soaps.

You really can't go wrong with a Tweez, Shea, or Omega 10049. I have all 3 and use them regularly along with a Vie Long Horse hair brush. I've had no problem with my Tweezerman and haven't lost any hair short of the 4 or 5 that were lost when breaking it in.

Top Bottom