What's new

Best low priced brush --- Tweezerman , Escali , etc ?

What is the best low priced shaving brush ?

A wide majority of Amazon reviews speak favorably of Tweezerman and Escali for about 13 dollars a piece , but a vocal minority mentions a very foul smell from both of these brushes.

If on a severely limited budget in the current economy , what brushes are the best value for the money ?

Or , is it false economy to buy a low priced badger brush where the cost of multiple replacements would equal or exceed the price of a higher priced brush ?

Tweezerman badger brush is the one. The animal scent will go away after a few washes or you can follow the Ambrose method of breaking in and getting the funk out of a brush by:

1. Wash it with dawn soap
2. Soak it in dawn soapy water for a few hrs
3. Build a lather (shaving cream/soap) and leave it to sit and dry over night - this is were most of the magic happens

Simple answer, although perhaps not the one you expected: forget about wasting your money on a $13 badger brush and spend less on an Omega boar brush (the Pro 49 is what I have). I also have a few mid to high end badgers and, once that Omega broke in, it was every bit as soft as my badgers which cost 5 times the price.

If cost is the issue, boars will always outperform similarly-priced badgers at the low end.

If cost is the issue, boars will always outperform similarly-priced badgers at the low end.[/QUOTE]

id put my tweezerman up to any similar priced boar any day.
apples to apples,, my money is on my tweezerman

apples to apples,, my money is on my tweezerman

LOL, and THAT, my friend, is why they run horse races. As the French say, "Chaq'un a son gout." (French for YMMV)

Last edited:
If you want a cheap brush that out performs all of them put together? Vie-Long baby! Gifts and Care has horse hair brushes that are kick butt and low price. There are like 8 brushes right here that are all under 20 dollars and can compete with any of the badger brushes IMHO. You can also get custom versions of the brushes at Gifts and Care by simply asking in the comments section of your order. Shorten the loft, use a different knot, etc. If you have any questions, Juan over on the vendor section probably has the answers. I am pretty sure there is a 10% off B&B coupon code as well.

If cost is the issue, boars will always outperform similarly-priced badgers at the low end.

apples to apples,, my money is on my tweezerman[/QUOTE]

+1 Tweezerman was my 1st brush and I bought a cheap boar just to see what the big deal was and I take the Tweezerman any day of the week and twice on Sunday! I did not have any kind of funk or smell to mine. I have been using it almost daily and many times more than once a day for over 6 months with no issues.

If you want a cheap brush that out performs all of them put together? Vie-Long baby! Gifts and Care has horse hair brushes that are kick butt and low price. There are like 8 brushes right here that are all under 20 dollars and can compete with any of the badger brushes IMHO. You can also get custom versions of the brushes at Gifts and Care by simply asking in the comments section of your order. Shorten the loft, use a different knot, etc. If you have any questions, Juan over on the vendor section probably has the answers. I am pretty sure there is a 10% off B&B coupon code as well.

+1, economical horse or boars top quality built to last.

I vote for an Omega or Semogue boar as a first brush. I have a Tweezerman but haven't used it in several months due liking boar brushes much better.

Is that $13 shipped? You can probably pick up a nice Semogue 1305 on the BST for $15.

id put my tweezerman up to any similar priced boar any day. apples to apples,, my money is on my tweezerman

Challenge extended.

EDIT: Challenge may have been extended to the wrong person. Darn quote tags.

Last edited:
Mentioned my favorit in another thread. Many will probably think its no good because its so inexpensive. Horsehair, #6 from Turkey.

I just bought an Omega 48. Yeah it stinks but I think after a few uses that will go away. I used it this morning and it lathered up really nicely and it was softer than I expected for a new boar brush. The only problem is that it is to big for my Omega razor and brush stand. $15.95 on Amazon.

Tweezerman brushes have great bristles, but the handle is total crap and the knot has a tendency of falling out.
I'd put my vote on the Shea Moisture brush that some Targets have - $9 can't be beat.

Maybe I need to try one of these Omega's. The boar I got was a VDH and it was ok but no where near my Tweezerman. I like the MAN so much I really have no desire to try another! I am a little interested to see if the Omega is better than the VDH though.

Top Bottom