What's new

Best AS for an interview?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I worked on a core assembly line in an engine foundry and there was one guy, known as simply "that guy" whose perfumed reek would penetrate the layers of formaldehyde, iron, sand and other smells. Quite positive that he might have been of English origin, as there was no scent or sign that Paco Rabanne had crawled or not, and died. Or Lived for that matter.

Back to the OP, no scent is the safe way, Paco R if ya want to keep doing the same thing over and expecting a different result.

Good luck

None....I interview people a couple of times a year. I want you to look good and be clean, but I generally don't want to smell your favorite scent.

None....I interview people a couple of times a year. I want you to look good and be clean, but I generally don't want to smell your favorite scent.

+1
Why risk it? The interviewer may have an allergy and/or the company may have a policy against fragrances. Get the job first, then worry about your daily AS.

I hear this is a winner!!

proxy.php

Don't use any. Why? What happens if the scent you pick is the same one her ex had? No matter how well the interview goes, you just triggered a lot of negative memories.

Late to party but I'd say no AS. I once worked with a lady who claimed she was "allergic" to perfumes, colognes and aftershaves and lobbied to have their use banned in the office. She was ignored but made a big show of waving her hands in front of her nose and being and making derogatory comments. Eventually another woman filed a complaint, seating the scent hater was creating a "hostile work environment."

So no AS on an interview! You never know what kind of wacko you'll run into!

How'd the interview go?

Late to party but I'd say no AS. I once worked with a lady who claimed she was "allergic" to perfumes, colognes and aftershaves and lobbied to have their use banned in the office. She was ignored but made a big show of waving her hands in front of her nose and being and making derogatory comments. Eventually another woman filed a complaint, seating the scent hater was creating a "hostile work environment."

So no AS on an interview! You never know what kind of wacko you'll run into!

How'd the interview go?

The interview went very well and have been contacted for a follow-up interview with HR which should hopefully be this week. Although the position is vacant I think they are targeting a January start for the replacement so they're moving a bit slow. It's also a VP position so the process normally takes a bit longer. Fingers crossed for what would be a great Christmas present.

The interview went very well and have been contacted for a follow-up interview with HR which should hopefully be this week. Although the position is vacant I think they are targeting a January start for the replacement so they're moving a bit slow. It's also a VP position so the process normally takes a bit longer. Fingers crossed for what would be a great Christmas present.
Best of luck from all of us here at B&B!

Skip the AS, go with a no-scent lotion.

Also, bring a portfolio of your work, references, extra copies of resumes, and blow them away.

Proraso Green + Lucky Tiger + Nivea AS Balm = Nailed It! Thanks for all the feedback and well wishes the interview went great. frankly I would be surprised if I wasn't hired, especially since I was recommended by a former boss who works there now.

Thanks again.
Congrats on the job offer, which I assume has come through by now.

I picked up this thread too late to offer any suggestions in time for the interview, but I agree with those that say no scent is best in this scenario. If you don't have any in the den already, Nivea Sensitive Balm is as close as your nearest drugstore, and will only run you about $5. A cheap investment for an important appointment like this, not to mention its a terrific performer any day of the week.

For the future, when others are going out for an interview, or when you get ready for that big promotion, I strongly recommend this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Trust-...4467039&sr=8-2&keywords=liquid+trust+oxytocin

It is odorless and can be worn in conjunction with any scented ASL or EdC. A little bit goes a long way and the Oxytocin remains effective for several hours.
I will vouch for its efficacy. It has helped me talk my way out of traffic tickets, gotten me preferential service at restaurants and bars, helped me bump up my Performance Eval at work, and helped me close sales when I was working on commission.

Its not a "pheromone" like we're used to thinking about them. I don't know how to explain the chemistry or psychology involved, all I can say is ... IT WORKS.

I can't imagine any aftershave being good for an interview. I've never met one that can carry on a decent conversation anyway.

Definitely late to the thread with this advice, but my personal opinion would be to avoid trying to impress them with any scent. Instead, I'd wear something that makes ME feel confident and professional. Interviews are all about how you carry yourself, and the better you feel about yourself, the better you'll do. That said, nobody wants to choke on your scent. For me it'd be L'occitane Cade balm, enough to smell clean and ready to rock!

AS doesn't really matter IMO -- it's experience and track record that should matter. If you want to rely on the effect of a given scent on a person then you need to know that person and how they respond to different scents. A scent can be associated with different memories and experiences and may have a positive or negative connotation for that person while the next person could be entirely different with respect to the same scent.

I am interviewing with a woman.
People of either gender aren't all the same and are not all going to like and dislike the same scents or have the same allergies or sensitivities.

If you really don't want the job but don't want the missus to think you're a lazy good-for-nothing, I'd suggest a half a bottle of DR Harris sandalwood. You won't be hired for the next two years.
I just recently got a job offer wearing DRH Sandalwood but it's what I use everyday. Didn't use half a bottle though. More like a shake.

Last edited:
No expert here but it was my understanding that oxytocin only works as a nasal spray or by injection and that products containing oxytocin do nothing if not properly and constantly refrigerated. I have a friend who does formal psych experiments using oxytocin and it takes a lot of work to get and use sprays that are functional. Typical online concoctions don't work or have oxytocin that's gone inert.

Congrats on the job offer, which I assume has come through by now.

I picked up this thread too late to offer any suggestions in time for the interview, but I agree with those that say no scent is best in this scenario. If you don't have any in the den already, Nivea Sensitive Balm is as close as your nearest drugstore, and will only run you about $5. A cheap investment for an important appointment like this, not to mention its a terrific performer any day of the week.

For the future, when others are going out for an interview, or when you get ready for that big promotion, I strongly recommend this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Trust-...4467039&sr=8-2&keywords=liquid+trust+oxytocin

It is odorless and can be worn in conjunction with any scented ASL or EdC. A little bit goes a long way and the Oxytocin remains effective for several hours.
I will vouch for its efficacy. It has helped me talk my way out of traffic tickets, gotten me preferential service at restaurants and bars, helped me bump up my Performance Eval at work, and helped me close sales when I was working on commission.

Its not a "pheromone" like we're used to thinking about them. I don't know how to explain the chemistry or psychology involved, all I can say is ... IT WORKS.

It dawned on me this morning I never updated this thread because the process took so long. So after submitting my resume in August and having my first of many interviews in early October I was finally made an offer in late February. So tomorrow is my start date and for sentimental reasons I will once again go with Lucky Tiger, the AS I used on my first interview that went great. I know when I started this thread I didn't want to use anything with a strong scent but I always like to get feedback from members here.

On the plus side the company I will be working for is based in Germany so I will need to travel there a few times a year so I will be sure to do some searching for shaving products while there.

Thanks for all the feedback, this is a nice career jump for me as I had been with my former employer for more than 13 years and things were getting stagnant.

Hmmm...the way I figure it, if you get close enough to the interviewer for him/her to smell your aftershave, it would be a minus - for getting too close or for smelling way too strong. And if the scent of an aftershave would help or hurt me getting a job, it would be a job I would not want to get.

Good luck on your job. My only aftershave is isopropyl alcohol.

Top Bottom