What's new

Bass notes

The ultimate "BASS" guy: I conduct a very nice community concert band in the summers. About 10 years ago a hunting and fishing mecca, "Bass Pro Shops" opened just down the road. I came to rehearsal, wearing a Bass Pro polo shirt, and one of the tuba players asked me where the place was.

I gave him directions.

The next evening, at the concert, he approached me. "I went to that place," he said, "Nothing but guns and fishing poles!" He was disgusted. "I don't think you gave me good directions." He had been there and still didn't get it...he was so entrenched into the playing of the "BASS" that he didn't get the fish reference. Gotta love that guy! But that's like a bass player, when you think about it...you have to explain the concept AND the execution, not just the chord changes!

hehe.. did you really think he was interested in fishing when he asked you where the place was? :wink:

masssive attack--some songs have enough bass to "feel" in your chest at a moderate volume. blue oyster cult--the burning for you album has some awesome stuff(but i also have a weakness for intelligent lyrics-so i enjoy boc) and as has been mentioned by many others-rush

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I was thinking something deeper. Two of my favorites for exercising the subwoofer are

Camille Saint-Saens, Symphony No. 3 "Organ", Telarc CD-80274

Modest Mussorgksy, Pictures at an Exhibition, organ transcription by Jean Guillou, Dorian Recordings DOR-90117

The latter has the deepest bass I have ever heard.

Of course, I'll try anything.

Ah, Saint-Saens' famous stereo-destroyer!!

I'm not specifically a subwoofer nut, but of course if you want to rattle the windows there's nothing like a good bout of Bruckner, Shostakovitch (#5 or 10), or Mahler.

I've never really gotten into the organ (ah, if I didn't already have a custom title ... :blink: ) but I think good old JS Bach may have written one or two pieces for this deepest of the deep instrument.

One of my favorite classical pieces that has some bass especially at the beginning is Holst's Mars from the Planet Suite.

I am surprised that no one suggested one of the most addictive and copied bass lines Queens Under Pressure.

I love when that comes on the radio and people think that its that crazy white boy from the early 90s who i dare not speak his name because i love that flavor of ice cream too much to associate it with the likes of him.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
One of my favorite classical pieces that has some bass especially at the beginning is Holst's Mars from the Planet Suite.

I am surprised that no one suggested one of the most addictive and copied bass lines Queens Under Pressure.

I love when that comes on the radio and people think that its that crazy white boy from the early 90s who i dare not speak his name because i love that flavor of ice cream too much to associate it with the likes of him.

Eww!! This ice cream tastes just like Corey Hart!! :scared:

what about bass singers? Nicolai Ghiaurov springs to mind ... Mussorgsky's Boris Godunov

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
what about bass singers? Nicolai Ghiaurov springs to mind ... Mussorgsky's Boris Godunov

Wasn't that Boris Badenov, from Pottsylvania?

Unfair to Local 12...Villains Thieves & Scoundrels Union!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Wasn't that Boris Badenov, from Pottsylvania?

Unfair to Local 12...Villains Thieves & Scoundrels Union!

It's a great opera. Most people probably only know it for the famous "moose and squirrel" aria, but the whole thing is worth listening to!

Thinking in a more mainstream groove, I never realized the bowel-shaking bass that existed in the opening overture to Phantom of the Opera until I listened to it on a half-way decent system. Caveat: it's the 2-CD original London cast recording. There's also an organ opening line to Alabama's cover version of Sweet Home Alabama on "Skynyrd Frynds" that hit some low notes to rattle the china...

Mike in Michigan

If the room is big enough to hold the wave and the speakers can attempt to make them,

J. S. Bach, Toccata in D minor

will flap your pant cuffs more than once.

the best overall notes i have heard in a single song

Beach Boys - Good Vibrations ... close to the end of the song

but me being an 80's kid ... if i want bass ... i get some old school rap from the 80's ... or pop in a cd (finally got away from tapes) from van halen and let hots for the teacher play for a bit ...

of course my ipod is filled with all of les claypools stuff ... also all of Steve Vai ...

For my money, the greatest bass in rock comes from Gov't Mule, prior to the death of Allen Woody. That man could play.

In a different vein, Percy Jones with Brand X was pretty tight. Mingus, NHOP, Jaco, Haden, Holland, Swallow... just to name a few that I thoroughly enjoy.

the best overall notes i have heard in a single song

Beach Boys - Good Vibrations ... close to the end of the song

I believe that's actually a bowed cello. I have bored Mrs. Mysterion to tears holding forth on the details of production in that song.

I believe that's actually a bowed cello. I have bored Mrs. Mysterion to tears holding forth on the details of production in that song.

it may be .. i would have though it to be plucked instead of bowed (less you are meaning something else since i haven't delt with string instruments that much .. mostly brass, woodwind, and percussion)

when i first heard of it i thought about a Timpani but i have never been all that great at identifying some instruments

Top Bottom