What's new

Bass notes

Gah - Don't forget Emerson, Lake, and Palmer for some fine snarly bass work.

+1

Add in Blue Man Group. What they do with percussion is truly different!

My problem is when sound systems are adjusted to emphasize bass over the rest of the musical spectrum. It not only becomes physically uncomfortable for me after a period of time, (even at low volumes) it muddies the sound of the music.

Recently I've been listening to a lot of dubstep, which is a sub-genre of the garage/grime scene based mostly in, as far as I know, the UK.

If you want bass that will shake the windows look no further.

Selected Artist/Track:

Coki - Officer
Slaughter Mob - Born Behind Cow
Skream - Bahl Fwd
Geiom - Overnight Biscuits

For other good bass outside of dubstep I like Roots Manuva and the Roots.

If you're open to electronic music, check out "High Roller" by Crystal Method. It's track 4 on their debut album, Vegas. There's some sub-20hz stuff in that track. That's my standard test CD at audio shows when exhibitors brag about how well their systems can do bass. On most of them, the deep notes are totally absent :thumbdown

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My problem is when sound systems are adjusted to emphasize bass over the rest of the musical spectrum. It not only becomes physically uncomfortable for me after a period of time, (even at low volumes) it muddies the sound of the music.

Agreed. What I like about the REL subs is that they allow your main speakers to run full range. They use a pretty steep (6dB/octave) low pass filter, and can be set very low. I get good results setting it to 28Hz, so most of the time, it's not even on.

ouch

Ya know, people talk about DSOTM and WYWH.. and yes, they're great. No doubt. But I friggin *love* THE FINAL CUT. "The Gunner's Dream" is just one of the finest songs Roger Waters ever wrote.

-Mason

Are you "Nick" Mason?

The Final Cut would have been a really good album if the band wasn't in shambles at the time. The title song is also beautiful.

Waters' best work, by far, would have to be Amused to Death. It's an audiophile's dream: the best ever use of Q-Sound, frightening low bass on Three Wishes, and his best songwriting. In fact, I have my speakers and subwoofer set up specifically to showcase this album.

July 3, 1977, MSG in NYC- Roger plays encore wearing my shirt. :thumbup1:

If you want some bass that will shred your sub's, listen to the Grand Funk Railroad song "People Let's Stop The War". It's on the album "E Pluribus Funk", released November '71 (I think). That was the album some called the "Silver Dollar" album.

I have no idea what equipment Mel Schacher used on that, but the bass was wicked.

snip.....
July 3, 1977, MSG in NYC- Roger plays encore wearing my shirt. :thumbup1:

OK, fess up, there has to be a story behind that!!!!

ouch

As with much of the 70's, details are fuzzy, at best. :blink:

I was thinking something deeper. Two of my favorites for exercising the subwoofer are

Camille Saint-Saens, Symphony No. 3 "Organ", Telarc CD-80274

Modest Mussorgksy, Pictures at an Exhibition, organ transcription by Jean Guillou, Dorian Recordings DOR-90117

The latter has the deepest bass I have ever heard.

Of course, I'll try anything.

Pines of Rome (Respighi) Chicago Symphony/Reiner
"Dies Irae" Verdi's Requiem...CSO/Solti
Anything by Blood Sweat and Tears...(sorry!)

That's what get's my thumper thumpin'

For sheer chest-rattling lowness:

Parliament--Flashlight
Public Image Limited--Metal Box (Original version on 3 12" 45RPM discs)
Bootsy Collins--Telephone Bill
James Brown--Hot Pants
King Tubby--The Fatman Tapes

Not exactly thunderous, but the lowest unprocessed vocals you'll ever hear:
Slam Stewart and Major Holley--Shut Yo' Mouth

A Walk Across The Rooftops - The Blue Nile

Strange Fruit - Cassandra Wilson

Natural Mystic - Bob Marley

Double Barrel - Dave & Ansil Collins

Geddy Lee: His part on Territories just keeps going through my mind. His bass lines really drive that song.

Jack Bruce: His part on Crossroads defined rock bass, IMHO.

John Entwistle: He showed that the bass could be right up there with the guitar in creating a group's sound.

Charlie Mingus. Sheer genius. I dont' know if that is kind of bass we are looking for here, but I had to at least mention him.

Godzilla. The King of the Monsters, not the BÖC song.

(I read recently that Godzilla's trademark roar was created by the film's music composer, who rubbed a glove on a contrabass string. Gotta try that.)

The ultimate "BASS" guy: I conduct a very nice community concert band in the summers. About 10 years ago a hunting and fishing mecca, "Bass Pro Shops" opened just down the road. I came to rehearsal, wearing a Bass Pro polo shirt, and one of the tuba players asked me where the place was.

I gave him directions.

The next evening, at the concert, he approached me. "I went to that place," he said, "Nothing but guns and fishing poles!" He was disgusted. "I don't think you gave me good directions." He had been there and still didn't get it...he was so entrenched into the playing of the "BASS" that he didn't get the fish reference. Gotta love that guy! But that's like a bass player, when you think about it...you have to explain the concept AND the execution, not just the chord changes!

Top Bottom