What's new

Banks of Ganges barber video - Straight razor, no lather, talent!

I watched the Ganges shaving video, and...

well, doesn't it kinda call into question everything we teach about proper shaving here? Typically we mention a good lather as being one of the most important aspects about a shave, yet in the video there was no lather. No lubrication at all from what I can tell, other than water (doesn't look like oil if you ask me, you can see it running off the guy's beard).

I watched the Ganges shaving video, and...

well, doesn't it kinda call into question everything we teach about proper shaving here? Typically we mention a good lather as being one of the most important aspects about a shave, yet in the video there was no lather. No lubrication at all from what I can tell, other than water (doesn't look like oil if you ask me, you can see it running off the guy's beard).

Try it and let us know?

In all seriousness, I imagine there are some guys who can get away with a shave like that, but I doubt I could. Not to mention, that guy looks like he's shaved more than a couple faces. He knocks it out rather quickly, too, before that moisture and lubrication from the water all runs off and evaporates. I don't know too many of us who could do the same.

There's a reason that videos like this are the exception.

If you look at his tools on the ground next to him there is obviously something in the rusty can he mixes with the water in the other can. You can see a couple of mixing sticks I believe. In any rate he's mastered the art.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If you look at his tools on the ground next to him there is obviously something in the rusty can he mixes with the water in the other can. You can see a couple of mixing sticks I believe. In any rate he's mastered the art.

My guess is that it doesn't contain tallow.

I got my first straight shave in India. I went to a tiny place in Paharganj, the backpacker ghetto near the New Delhi train station. First he cut my hair, then rubbed all kinds of stuff on my face, then some foam, and went to work. Same thing, one pass. Then some more face massage, wax etc. BBS. Then he briefly massaged my neck, and then 'cracked' it. I felt great walking out of their. Mine was more expensive, though, as he charged $2, and I tipped him another $3.

I go to India pretty regularly for business, and always see these guys at the side of the road, always with customers. I may have to try one, and have someone take pics for the sake of B&B.

Two points out of this...

1)Face pulling. I believe I could use a lot more stretching when I use a straight; I get great results now, but watching that first video makes me think that stretching my skin is somewhere I have room for experimentation. Amazing video...

2)
I'm going to bottle the stuff and sell it through AOS; "Ganges Shave Water"
8 oz. bottle $14.99?

Top Bottom