What's new

Banks of Ganges barber video - Straight razor, no lather, talent!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Here is the WilliePeter99 shave just for fun. Every time I see it my goatee starts to itch.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuuuvuOzB7U[/YOUTUBE]

Here is the WilliePeter99 shave just for fun. Every time I see it my goatee starts to itch.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuuuvuOzB7U[/YOUTUBE]

What a ruffian! I don't see a preparation, cold water rinse and the most important: no style and love for detail in this shave. I myself put my heart and soul into shaving.

What a ruffian! I don't see a preparation, cold water rinse and the most important: no style and love for detail in this shave. I myself put my heart and soul into shaving.
That is with his face, imagine him shaving someone else....:blink:

Last edited:
Just now saw that Ganges shaving video, WOWZERS that is some skill. I wish straight razor barbers were still prevalent in the US...

Sweet... but I think I'd have to bring my own razor and brush. That is a hepatitis (or worse) factory right there!

Why is this Willy video impressive? Doesn't seem like I would want to take any of his advice if I wanted a comfortable, blood-free shave.

I always enjoy that video. The gentelman getting shaved must have sat in the Ganges and got his skin ready for that shave. It just makes me think of the perfect one pass shave I wish for thats WTG mixed with XTG at the same time.

Why is this Willy video impressive? Doesn't seem like I would want to take any of his advice if I wanted a comfortable, blood-free shave.

The guy whips off a full goatee plus what looks to be 4-5 days of growth on the rest of his face in under 4 minutes.:thumbup1:

He gets one weeper that looks like the result of a pimple that was lurking under the goatee.

Damn, that Willy was impressive, so was the indian.

But I don't get it how he manages to plow thru all that beard, maybe I got the most sensitive skin or maybe my straight skills got a long way to go(I don't doubt that)

It was awesome to watch!

It think it really is impressive... he gets one visible weeper and his face doesn't look like a tomato from razor burn. Without a doubt he has a skilled hand in order to take swipes like that without peeling his face off, not to mention the blade has got to be in tip top shape.

But look at his old strops... and his old razor! Heck, they were probably something his grandfather used. I like this video because it shows you don't need the best high end stuff to get a good shave and maintain your razor. And you don't have to do that crazy stuff that I read about... "you need to do this or you won't get a good shave" (like pre shave oil, hot towel wrap, etc). I find that all to be nonsense. Looks like he just washed his face, makes a hot slick lather and lets 'em whiskers have it... all in less than 4 minutes! :blink:

Now, I doubt he shaves like that every time but it's good to show that a shave does not need to be an hour undertaking. It is fine if you want to take an hour, but some of us don't have that luxury; just nice to see how quick a straight shave can really be. This video is what inspired me to shave with a straight every day instead of just the weekends or days that I had more time. My technique improved in leaps and bounds because of this. I wouldn't have believed it at one time, but I can now shave with a straight in the same amount of time as a DE (about 10 minutes). I'd say it will be quite some time before I'd be able to do it in less than 5 minutes though! :lol:

Last edited:
It think it really is impressive... he gets one visible weeper and his face doesn't look like a tomato from razor burn. Without a doubt he has a skilled hand in order to take swipes like that without peeling his face off, not to mention the blade has got to be in tip top shape.

But look at his old strops... and his old razor! Heck, they were probably something his grandfather used. I like this video because it shows you don't need the best high end stuff to get a good shave and maintain your razor. And you don't have to do that crazy stuff that I read about... "you need to do this or you won't get a good shave" (like pre shave oil, hot towel wrap, etc). I find that all to be nonsense. Looks like he just washed his face, makes a hot slick lather and lets 'em whiskers have it... all in less than 4 minutes! :blink:

Now, I doubt he shaves like that every time but it's good to show that a shave does not need to be an hour undertaking. It is fine if you want to take an hour, but some of us don't have that luxury; just nice to see how quick a straight shave can really be. This video is what inspired me to shave with a straight every day instead of just the weekends or days that I had more time. My technique improved in leaps and bounds because of this. I wouldn't have believed it at one time, but I can now shave with a straight in the same amount of time as a DE (about 10 minutes). I'd say it will be quite some time before I'd be able to do it in less than 5 minutes though! :lol:

i like how be basically breaks all the "rules" we've made about making lather and prepping. it even looks like he's just using a beat up old boar knot without a handle!

That Ganges vid is what inspired me to try the disposable blade KAI Excella. He definitely has a fantastically light touch, and let's the blade do the work. His skin stretching skills are also top-notch.

We are constantly in search of The Razor, but what both of these vids show to me, as that it is the guy wielding the blade that makes the biggest difference in the results, methinks.

Top Bottom