What's new

August 2015 Shaving Restraint (MoRo-August)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Got a La Toja stick at the last minute, couple days ago.

Pushed a Personna Blue one day too far; had an itchy face after finally shaving today. CF Summer Storm lit it on fire after.

Enough is plenty; there's still several brands of blades in a sampler I haven't tried.

AA

I'd like to request a ruling from the good sirs who have signed up for the restraint. I need to know if I have failed my first restraint on the first day or have successfully navigated the rules in both letter (and hopefully sufficiently enough in spirit) to continue in the challenge.

Here are the facts:

• July 31:
    • I'm new to wet shaving in general and a total novice on injectors but went looking for some based on responses to a thread I started in the SE sub-forum. (Isn't it great to have enablers?)
    • I find what appears to be a rare bargain on a Schick injector Special 1946 Christmas Edition G2 in good condition (14K gold filled and plated.)
    • I negotiate with the seller (it was a Buy Now listing) on the price and he counters with what seems like a bargain
    • Not knowing if the price is really as good as I suspect I PM a fellow member who is well versed in injectors and an owner of a fine specimen of the same razor.
  • August 1:
    • Agony, I don't receive his enthusiastic reply until this morning. What to do?
    • I explain the situation to SWMBO and she agrees to buy it as a Christmas gift for me from her or my sons (meaning I don't get to take possession of it until they give it to me at Christmas time.)
    • She instructs me to complete the transaction and she will get some shopping done early and put it away until then.

So, is this too close to the edge to be legit or is it well played? In short, am I in or am I out?

Thanks everyone,

Karl

Karl, first I apologize for the late reply. But, In my mind, if you follow through with the transaction, you would out of the Restraint. It seems to me that you would be making a shaving purchase for yourself and just deferring it until Christmas. It is still you making the purchase now.

As Darth kevdogg329's signature line says: "If you have to ask, you should not being doing it"

It is up to you, though. Many have failed, while many have succeeded. It all comes down to how serious you are about your commitment to the MoRo-August. You have to ask yourself why you signed up in the first place.

#9 here. Got a great shave in early this morning. No temptations yet, and enjoying using the stuff I already have.

SOTD:
Proraso Green Pre/Post Shave cream
Omega 10049
MWF
Muhle R41 + Maggard MR3 handle
Feather (6)
alum
Mennen Skin Bracer

#14 here. Made it the weekend which is usually tuff for me. I even browsed the various enabler threads here on B&B, got some ideas and just filed them away. However, Inspired by a MacGyver shave brush thread, I cut up an old military belt and began what may possibly become a homemade handle for a shaving brush. If i get anything at all resembling a usable handle, i may cannibalize an existing brush. Its not looking promising though.

So far so good guys. Just my wife ruined my strop for at least 1/4 of the length.
I will use the remaining 3/4 but on September a new one is needed!

Cheers

#14 here. Made it the weekend which is usually tuff for me. I even browsed the various enabler threads here on B&B, got some ideas and just filed them away. However, Inspired by a MacGyver shave brush thread, I cut up an old military belt and began what may possibly become a homemade handle for a shaving brush. If i get anything at all resembling a usable handle, i may cannibalize an existing brush. Its not looking promising though.
You need a new knot for the custom handle. Order one now and enjoy the brush by the end of the montb

Karl, first I apologize for the late reply. But, In my mind, if you follow through with the transaction, you would out of the Restraint. It seems to me that you would be making a shaving purchase for yourself and just deferring it until Christmas. It is still you making the purchase now.

As Darth kevdogg329's signature line says: "If you have to ask, you should not being doing it"

It is up to you, though. Many have failed, while many have succeeded. It all comes down to how serious you are about your commitment to the MoRo-August. You have to ask yourself why you signed up in the first place.

I'd like to request a ruling from the good sirs who have signed up for the restraint. I need to know if I have failed my first restraint on the first day or have successfully navigated the rules in both letter (and hopefully sufficiently enough in spirit) to continue in the challenge.

Here are the facts:

• July 31:
    • I'm new to wet shaving in general and a total novice on injectors but went looking for some based on responses to a thread I started in the SE sub-forum. (Isn't it great to have enablers?)
    • I find what appears to be a rare bargain on a Schick injector Special 1946 Christmas Edition G2 in good condition (14K gold filled and plated.)
    • I negotiate with the seller (it was a Buy Now listing) on the price and he counters with what seems like a bargain
    • Not knowing if the price is really as good as I suspect I PM a fellow member who is well versed in injectors and an owner of a fine specimen of the same razor.
  • August 1:
    • Agony, I don't receive his enthusiastic reply until this morning. What to do?
    • I explain the situation to SWMBO and she agrees to buy it as a Christmas gift for me from her or my sons (meaning I don't get to take possession of it until they give it to me at Christmas time.)
    • She instructs me to complete the transaction and she will get some shopping done early and put it away until then.

So, is this too close to the edge to be legit or is it well played? In short, am I in or am I out?

Thanks everyone,

Karl
Karl. Welcome to the Dark Side. Fulfill your calling to the Dark Side and tempt others to fail

If I don't put my name in, my wife may beat me in my sleep....starting to get the sigh and eye roll when she walks past my sink.

1) CzechCzar
2) Blade4vor
3) pbrmhl
4) Krakatoa
5) Mostho
6) Pepin
7) Ad Astra
8) Billy Goatee
9) MuhleShaver
10) phoenix89
11) bocefus
12) cvargo
13) Karl G
14) CBLindsay
15) countrydirt
16) Jfavre08
17) Benzology
18) Heysi
That means you have a good travel kit. When you have multiple shoe boxes then restrain. Until then you need more soap and razors

Looking forward to the August restraint. Only a couple items that would knock me out, and they have been rather elusive the year + so no worries (famous last words).

I was away for about three weeks, and had my travel kit (1 razor, 1 shave stick, 1 brush, 1 brand of blades). I did have three aftershaves, and picked up a fourth, along with lots of sampling of colognes.

The interesting thing is upon my return, seeing my collection of razors, soaps, creams, brushes etc it all seemed a little overwhelming. So no interest in expanding, and I am thinking of reducing some my regular use items.

Collection/display aside.
What are you looking for?

1) CzechCzar
2) Blade4vor
3) pbrmhl
4) Krakatoa
5) Mostho
6) Pepin
7) Ad Astra
8) Billy Goatee
9) MuhleShaver
10) phoenix89
11) bocefus
12) cvargo
13) Karl G
14) CBLindsay
15) countrydirt

Of course I am in! We had a great month in July where we successfully completed the purchase of a house ( process started in June) and we are now in the new house! I'm going to enjoy using my Weber until I find the box where I packed everything else. I have a 10 pack of Wilkinson Sword blades in my dopp kit, so I am good for at least 2 months on blades.
Restock the den with new items and double the fun when you find the shaving box

Dang...am I too late? I'm in the fall restraint.. but got kinda busy...if it's too late to sign up, I reserve the right to root for the ones who did sign up!

#16 checking in... So far so good, thoughi nearly fell on the 2nd when the wife asked if I wanted to take at look at brushes. Still good though!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
#7. Sad to realize couldn't order CF Summer Storm, after the sample was working out so well.

Happy to realize soap/cream combinations from those on hand are practically limitless ... Today, Alaskan Glacier Smoothie unscented soap hit with a smear of Pacific Shaving caffeinated cream did a better job than either alone.

AA

Top Bottom