What's new

Art of shaving.worth it?

So I'm heading to Atlanta tomorrow for business and I'm going to be just a couple of miles away from the Art of Shaving store. I've never considered any of their products due to price but considering I'm going to Atlanta i figured I would go by there. There's something about walking into a brick and mortar store that adds value IMO. I'm getting away from soaps and getting exclusively creams from now on. I'm using Speick and Proraso. It's AOS cream worth the extra coin?

Sir Daniel, I suggest you take along some tiny ziplock baggies or other sample jars and gather a few shave cream samples from their tester tubs. Usually if you ask nicely, they will let you take some samples home for trial, although you have to bring your own small containers. And some samples of the new aftershave lotions also. Be sure to try the sandalwood stuff. You should also be able to sniff some of the Penhaligon colognes. AOS has sales of about 20% off, twice a year, and often you can find bargains on eBay. Travel safe and have a fun trip!

Whether or not it's worth it probably depends on how hard you have to work for some money. I can't afford it. Simple as that.

I do love their sandalwood. If you ask they will give you samples. If there is an L occitane or body shop or sephora they will as well

I think their Shaving Cream is nice, but not a very good value. The Sandalwood scented one is the only one I have ever purchased and probably would not repeat. It smells Just reserved it at the local library, along with the Americas Test Kitchen book on pressure cooking and makes a good later with plenty of slip, and cushion, just hard to justify the price as there are plenty of more reasonably priced alternative products that have just as good performance.

Sir Daniel, I suggest you take along some tiny ziplock baggies or other sample jars and gather a few shave cream samples from their tester tubs. Usually if you ask nicely, they will let you take some samples home for trial, although you have to bring your own small containers. And some samples of the new aftershave lotions also. Be sure to try the sandalwood stuff. You should also be able to sniff some of the Penhaligon colognes. AOS has sales of about 20% off, twice a year, and often you can find bargains on eBay. Travel safe and have a fun trip!

Wonderful advice. Thank you sir.

Their products are generally considered to be among the best available on the market today. They're priced slightly into the Luxury range, so whether that's "worth it" or not is kind of personal - you can pay a lot more for stuff that isn't anywhere as good.

Product is decent, price looks way high, but on a cost per ounce it is more reasonable than it first appears. If you have never been to a AoS then you must go. Never used the product, maybe you should try it. Having said that, I have no desire to go back to an AoS store, and I only get their products when the BX has a sale on it.

When I walked into the mall, I saw the L'occitane shop so naturally I had to go in. Their cream was $28 for 5.2oz so it was similar price wise. Unfortunately I did not have the luxury of time so instead of checking on the forums for a cross review on quality of the two creams, I based it on scent alone. I walked out with a tub of AOS sandalwood cream. The L'occitane was a little better value but I wasn't crazy about the scent.

Last edited:
In my opinion, in no way is AOS worth the $ they charge for their shaving cream and aftershave creams and lotions. There are several other expensive creams that are far superior to AOS, such as: XPEC,AdP,Castle Forbes and Santa Maria Novella. These are all superb shaving cream. Save your $ and don't buy AOS. Instead spend it on one of the creams I just mentioned

Craig

I walked out with a tub of AOS sandalwood cream. The L'occitane was a little better value but I wasn't crazy about the scent.
I've tried both L'Occitane and AOS SCs, and much preferred the AOS one: with the L'Occitane, the razor blade would feel uncomfortably sharp and rough [protection-poor(?)].
The scent of AOS's Sandalwood is quite pleasant, IMO.

When I walked into the mall, I saw the L'occitane shop so naturally I had to go in. Their cream was $28 for 5.2oz so it was similar price wise. Unfortunately I did not have the luxury of time so instead of checking on the forums for a cross review on quality of the two creams, I based it enceinte alone. I walked out with a tub of AOS sandalwood cream. The L'occitane was a little better value but I wasn't crazy about the scent.

Nice visit, thanks for the report! Enjoy the Sandalwood tub! It's good stuff.

Nice, I live in Chattanooga. Not too far north do the drive wasn't bad until I hit Atlanta traffic at 7am. Takes about an hour to travel 10 miles.

I shaved with the AOS Sandalwood cream this morning and it is fantastic! It's the first "high end" cream I have tried. I'm mostly surprised at how much lather I created with the small amount I used. I used a little less than I normally do with C.O. Bigelow and I had way more lather than normal. I honestly think I will be using about half the amount of cream I normally use with Bigelow to create the same amount of lather so that just doubles the initial value of the tub. I do like squeezing it out of a tube a little more than having it in a tub because I feel like exposing the cream to air every time I use it will dry it out a little but this is a minor concern and I've honestly never heard of anyone complaining about it in the past so hopefully this will not be an issue.

The lather itself was very slick and protective and so darn creamy.
The scent is incredible and this was the deciding factor for me.
Post shave was great and my face feels wonderful.

AoS Sandalwood is my favorite product and takes little product for a decent lather. It is pretty spendy and is usually only reserved as a Christmas gift from my wife. I use it on date night and stressful days. I there are other creams that work just as well, but the scent from AoS sandalwood cannot be beat.

They have samples of their shave cream already made up. If you just ask for some they will give them to you along with samples of a bunch of their other products. I've gone into their stores and just talked with them, and usually upon learning that I'm a wet shaver and well familiar with the process they offer to give me a bunch of samples. I always go into a store to look around, but I never buy anything. I think they are too highly priced. But if you try them and like them, then definitely keep them in mind and watch for sales, especially around the holidays!

It's hard for me to say too much about the cream at this point since I just got it and I've used it only once. I will say that the value seems to be pretty good considering I use twice as much Bigelow to create the same amount of lather. A 5oz tube of Bigelow is $10 and a 5oz tub of AOS is $25. If you look at the average annual cost, AOS will only be about $5 more and to me, it's with it. I do find AOS a little better than Bigelow but that's an initial reaction. I'll form a stronger opinion over the next couple of weeks of daily use.

This thing i appreciate about AOS is that they stock a true "Unscented" line. Keeping some around and using it is a nice change up every once in awhile. A little expensive, yes, but you get a reasonable amount, and it's a very good shave.

Top Bottom