What's new

Apparently not only am I a newbie, I have bad taste too.

Welcome to the forum!
I haven't tried Derby because I've read mixed opinions. And it's funny because I have a new pack in my drawer from one of my sample packs. I found Bic blades and they've been great for me on all my razors. The only one that seems to be different is my Razorock Lupo aluminum. It likes Feather blades! I just started using TOBS (cedarwood) and it's fantastic stuff. TOBS will probably stick around as my #1. Despite the fact that Proraso is less slick than TOBS, I love the sandalwood scent (red) and can't give it up just because of that. I love the red after shave too!

The post 2016 Derby Extra blades are different and much improved from pre 2016 blades so I expect you have the former.
This illustration may help determine which ones you have;
View attachment 1441586
If they give you a good shave keep using them.
I have the old pre-2016 and I like the way they shave. I guess I'll really like the newer version, but I have about 80 more to go before I will need to restock.

Welcome to the forum!
I haven't tried Derby because I've read mixed opinions. And it's funny because I have a new pack in my drawer from one of my sample packs. I found Bic blades and they've been great for me on all my razors. The only one that seems to be different is my Razorock Lupo aluminum. It likes Feather blades! I just started using TOBS (cedarwood) and it's fantastic stuff. TOBS will probably stick around as my #1. Despite the fact that Proraso is less slick than TOBS, I love the sandalwood scent (red) and can't give it up just because of that. I love the red after shave too!
I tried Derby because it came with my Edwin Jagger razor. I liked it so much I bought more. This was the way I figured it, why would a nice razor company like EJ put a crap blade in with their razor. I assume they would want their customers to be impressed not disappointed. Putting a crap razor sample in with a good razor would be poor marketing in my opinion. Anyway, I prefer smooth and longevity over cutting my face up and the Derby seems to fit the bill. I haven't tried many razors, but out of a handful, the Derby performs well for me. I've noticed that no matter how close you shave, the hair keeps growing back, so maybe I give up a few micrometers with the Derby vs. a "sharp" razor, but I'll survive until the next shave.

Welcome to B&B where the people are diverse and interesting as are all of our shaving experiences... But, if not for the journey and the adventure of shaving we would not be here.
TOBs is among the favorites that I've accumulated in my larder and when I found the Derby Extra a bit dodgy I have a love affair with the Derby Premium blades as well as the Dorco Prime Platinum.

I tried Derby because it came with my Edwin Jagger razor. I liked it so much I bought more. This was the way I figured it, why would a nice razor company like EJ put a crap blade in with their razor. I assume they would want their customers to be impressed not disappointed. Putting a crap razor sample in with a good razor would be poor marketing in my opinion. Anyway, I prefer smooth and longevity over cutting my face up and the Derby seems to fit the bill. I haven't tried many razors, but out of a handful, the Derby performs well for me. I've noticed that no matter how close you shave, the hair keeps growing back, so maybe I give up a few micrometers with the Derby vs. a "sharp" razor, but I'll survive until the next shave.
I think perception plays a role in choice. Unfortunately! They aren't like say Feather where most people seem to like them. But every brand and model has followers for sure. I'm gonna give the Derby's a try since I have an unused pack. I had no interest because of the perception but now I want to try them. Regarding the included blades: Merkur for example is an incredible brand but the Merkur blades generally don't get much love. And they're included with some of the razors!
But most people buy the razor for it's quality and don't care what blade is included. In the end we end up trying them all to see what works.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Welcome to B&B. We’re glad to have you here. When you get a chance head over to The Hall of Fame and tell us a little more about yourself.

Welcome aboard!

Your taste is fine because it is YOUR FACE!!

That said, I also like the EJ. In terms of blades, my best suggestion is that you work your way through a blade sampler or two to determine what works best. Blades are the most YMMV aspect of traditional wet shaving, so you just need to try things for yourself.

The main thing is to enjoy the journey!! :thumbup1:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Welcome. I'm glad you came out of the shadows.

As you probably already know, we don't denigrate anyone's taste here. We believe in ymmv. You've found some products that work for you, and that will only get you praise here.

We all have to find what works best for our individual faces/beards. It sounds like you're well on your way to shaving happiness. Good for you.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
LOL. It will never happen to me. I’m not a collector I said. And here I am, seven more razors and two more brushes later. 😬
I've only purchased two razors..... but my brushes have been multiplying. I need to separate them at night, I guess. When I got here, I had 4 soaps/creams. I "knew" that was enough for me... I'm giving two of my original purchased the son that got me into wet shaving (he only shaves around his beard). I now have 9 soaps/creams.

But I don't believe in rabbit holes... so they must not exist.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I've noticed that no matter how close you shave, the hair keeps growing back,
Captain of the Obvious (meme).jpg

~doug~

Top Bottom