What's new

Anything head and shoulders better than the new improved Proraso Blue?

Don’t mean to challenge your statement, but is it accepted by most that the Proraso Blue shave cream scent is different than the Proraso blue aftershave? The reason I ask is that I bought a sample of Prorasoe blue aftershave and didn’t care for the scent. After reading all the glowing reviews of Proraso blue shave cream, I am tempted to buy some, but not if it’s the same scent as the aftershave. Thanks
The cream scent is kinda weird but it fades rather quickly.

I found the Proraso Blue quite by accident not long ago. I added it to my Proraso Red (sandalwood) and love them both. The Speick is interesting - I love their aftershave. I checked online - there are 3 distinctly different tubes offered - what's the diofference between them?

Better late than never to answer this one, I guess. :oops:

There are two different scents. The "traditional" one is lavender plus speick plant essential oils (spicy and herbal). The Active line is a more "youthful" citrus type scent.

Speick changed their packaging awhile ago, the old packaging was blue and red, the newer one is either blue-green or gray.

It's a very good cream.

There are plenty better than Proraso. Cremo is much better more modern and a bit cheaper. Jack Black, Kiehl’s and Blu Atlas are top of the heap.

There are plenty better than Proraso. Cremo is much better more modern and a bit cheaper. Jack Black, Kiehl’s and Blu Atlas are top of the heap.
Not a fan of Cremo. Gave me a few bad shaves so I tossed it. Got a sampler of Jack Black and will give it a go soon. Is Kiehl’s still made?

Given that Proraso is $10 in the US, I think Stirling is probably worth the extra $5. It is great stuff, I think a level above Proraso (which I really like) for an xtra $5. If Proraso was $2-$3 like in Italy though, it is no contests.
Agreed, Proraso with its acceptable performance is a good buy at €3, but at $10 there's a great many other brands I'd recommend first.

Barrister's Omnibus, GD's Kairos, anything made by Murphy.and McNeil, Speick, Jack Black, all 4 of Stirling's bases, SV, MacDuff's v4, anything made by A&E including their $10 Pedro Fiasco pucks.

Last edited:
Not a fan of Cremo. Gave me a few bad shaves so I tossed it. Got a sampler of Jack Black and will give it a go soon. Is Kiehl’s still made?
Yes of course and better than ever. I can’t imagine anyone getting a bad shave from Cremo to be quite honest. I like Proraso but it sucks compared to what I mentioned, not even comparable. Cremo needs a lot of water maybe that was your problem or you used a brush.

OMG, I'm WAY behind the times!
Still working on my old Proraso Blue tube(s)!
Totally enjoying them!
Maybe, one day, I'll be able to try the new stuff!!

proraso blues.jpg

Agreed, Proraso with its acceptable performance is a good buy at €3, but at $10 there's a great many other brands I'd recommend first.

Barrister's Omnibus, GD's Kairos, anything made by Murphy.and McNeil, Speick, Jack Black, all 4 of Stirling's bases, SV, MacDuff's v4, anything made by A&E including their $10 Pedro Fiasco pucks.
$10 A&E pucks has my attention!

Yes of course and better than ever. I can’t imagine anyone getting a bad shave from Cremo to be quite honest. I like Proraso but it sucks compared to what I mentioned, not even comparable. Cremo needs a lot of water maybe that was your problem or you used a brush.
It was the mango version, maybe it is inferior or ? I used hand application. I’ll look for Kiehls shaving cream. I used one about 25 years ago and it was pretty good. Last time I checked here, the shaving cream was no longer offered.

$10 A&E pucks has my attention!
Try it, it's excellent. The only difference I notice between PF and K2e is post shave and a somewhat higher structure lather.
Well, that and the scents are toned down a bit compared to his main line. If you're one of those that found A&E's main line of soaps to cause frag burn then you be pleased to find the scent strength more middle of the road. Less scent options, though.

It's a bit confusing because there's a K2e soap scent called "Pedro Fiasco", a "Pedro Fiasco" cream and the "Pedro Fiasco" line of economy pucks that I'm referring to. If it costs $9.75 then you have the right one, though the cream is also absolutely phenomenal.

I'm really surprised at not seeing it mentioned more often.

I used Cremo for years and while it's perfectly serviceable I don't think it's better than most of the other soaps I've tried. I actually pulled it a few weeks ago again for old times's sake and I wasn't overly impressed. But it does work just fine for a brushless. Proraso Blue is actually quite good, notably better than the Red in terms of performance. Not everybody likes the scent, and I find the little bit of menthol annoying for some reason. I don't mind menthol in my splash but I guess I don't like it as much in my soap. But it's a great performer in my opinion. Whether it's worth $10 a tube is another discussion entirely but you could do a lot worse.

Better late than never to answer this one, I guess. :oops:

There are two different scents. The "traditional" one is lavender plus speick plant essential oils (spicy and herbal). The Active line is a more "youthful" citrus type scent.

Speick changed their packaging awhile ago, the old packaging was blue and red, the newer one is either blue-green or gray.

It's a very good cream.
@NorthernSoul - that is an excellent summation of the two Speick creams. :thumbup:

Top Bottom