What's new

Anyone Spray or rinse Razor in isopropyl alcohol?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I rinse my razor with hot water, then 'sterilize' and srapy it with alcohol in a spray bottle. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
“A razor [blade] can’t be sharpened on a piece of velvet”. Author Unknown

I used to rinse my razor and blade with alcohol after each shave but now I don't. I don't get more shaves out of the blade when I do so I figured, for me at least, it is a waste of time and alcohol. Now I just rinse it off under hot running water and shake.

I do use a toothbrush on my razor when I change blades to get any soap scum build up off.

I keep a little jar filled about half full of alcohol beside the sink. Before I use the razor I dip it and then again when I'm finished I dip it in and set it down to dry.

I remove the blade, rinse and towel dry the razor with hot water then swipe an alcohol soaked cotton swab over the blade before replacing it in the razor. It's got nothing to do with bacteria fear I just do it to hopefully keep the blade in better shape for the next shave.

I have an old Razobrite Bath crock filled with alcohol. After each shave I rinse the razor with water then give it a quick dunk in the alcohol and let it dry.
$Razobrite.jpg

Does this make any sense?
Nope, way too much work for me.

Anyone else do similar routine?

Nope, once a month or maybe longer, if I am bored I'll use some soap and a toothbrush and clean them and perhaps a dip in Barbicide. But the Barbicide jar is usually reserved for incoming used razors.
My normal routine is loosen the razor head, rinse under hot water, shake dry and place in holder for next day.

This doesn't add up. I use alcohol before and after every shave and your routine is way more work than mine.

I have a small sugar bowl with a lid that sits on the edge of the sink and I fill it with 90% isopropyl alcohol. Before and immediately after every shave I pull off the lid and swish the razor head with the blade in the alcohol. Before the shave I do this before I get in the shower and let the razor sit standing up so the alcohol can dry***. This sterilizes the head and blade edge for the shave. This decreases the amount of microbes to contribute to ingrown hairs. Immediately after the shave I rinse the lather off the razor under water and then swish the head again in the alcohol. This has the effect of displacing the water off the surface and sterilizing. I do not loosen the head. Swishing it in alcohol takes only a couple seconds.

***For alcohol to do its complete job at sterilizing it must come into contact with a surface and then completely dry. If you use the razor while the alcohol is still wet you are not getting the full benefit.

Last edited:
Those Razobrite containers are very cool. I'm on the lookout for one now as well. That's much more classy than my empty lay's french onion chip dip container.

Try using a hot spice bottle, like franks hot suce (glass) for your after shave. It has the reduced top so when you pour it in your hand it just dribbles out, no waste.

How does this preserve the alcohol in the jar. The one's i have seen have a hole in the top lid so the alcohol would evaporate?
I found a rubber stopper to fit the hole in the top. I find these little crock interesting. I have picked up a few over the last year. I only need one and should probably thin them out.
$DSCF3699.jpg

I use an apothecary jar(the kind with the ground glass lid) filled with Bacardi 151. For some unknown reason it works better for me than the 90%. Plus it smells good. And keeping a bottle of rum in the bathroom seems like a good idea.

Does this make any sense?
At one time, I thought it made sense. It seems like water would evaporate quicker and extend the blade life.
At first glance it makes sense, but a quick look at the science indicates otherwise.

Yes, alcohol pulls in water.
Yes, the alcohol evaporates quickly.

And what must happen before a compound can transition energy states from solid to liquid or from liquid to gas?
It must release any molecular bonds.
The alcohol must release the water before it can evaporate.
The evaporation (boiling) point increases, but the alcohol will simply leave the water behind when it evaporates.
Same thing happens when freezing... which is why you get ripped off your butt when the beer gets too cold and freezes... the water freezes, the alcohol doesn't.
If chemistry didn't work this way, then the strongest liquor we would have would be in the 22% range.

Storing the blade in alcohol will draw water out of the metal.
Dipping the blade in alcohol will draw water out of the metal.
A quick shake and pat dry with a tissue will remove the alcohol and the water.

***For alcohol to do its complete job at sterilizing it must come into contact with a surface and then completely dry. If you use the razor while the alcohol is still wet you are not getting the full benefit.

Not exactly true....

I use an apothecary jar(the kind with the ground glass lid) filled with Bacardi 151. For some unknown reason it works better for me than the 90%. Plus it smells good. And keeping a bottle of rum in the bathroom seems like a good idea.

The 151 works better because it takes longer to evaporate.
90% is very effective at drawing out water, and that is how alcohol kills bacteria, it literally dehydrates it.
But.... If alcohol is simply wiped or sprayed on, 90% will evaporate too quickly. 70% hangs around longer because of it's higher boiling point (due to the higher water content).
Now, if the item is dipped and allowed to remain submerged, then this does not apply... 90% would be more effective than 70% in this case.

But the alcohol does not have to dry to have completed it's job of sterilization. The fact that 70% has dried is an indication that it is done, but leaving an item soaking for the same period of time it will be just as sterile.

Top Bottom