What's new

Anyone Spray or rinse Razor in isopropyl alcohol?

Storing the blade in alcohol will draw water out of the metal.
Dipping the blade in alcohol will draw water out of the metal.
A quick shake and pat dry with a tissue will remove the alcohol and the water.

How does storing the blade in alcohol affect oxidization, if at all? I was told by a chemist once that since air can't get to the residual moisture on the blade when it is stored in oil or alcohol, then oxidization cannot take place, thereby extending the life of the blade's sharp edge. For years I kept my Gilette cart stored in mineral oil between shaves. Definitely extended the life of the cart.

How does storing the blade in alcohol affect oxidization, if at all? I was told by a chemist once that since air can't get to the residual moisture on the blade when it is stored in oil or alcohol, then oxidization cannot take place, thereby extending the life of the blade's sharp edge. For years I kept my Gilette cart stored in mineral oil between shaves. Definitely extended the life of the cart.
Alcohol, yes, to a degree.

The alcohol pulls the moisture from the dipped material.
The problem is, long term, alcohol also draws moisture from the air until it reaches saturation.
This creates the problem. As the alcohol evaporates, it leaves the water behind. This is the source of problems boat owners are facing with ethanol containing fuels. The boat is in a moist environment, but if the fuel is used regularly, it doesn't pose a problem because ethanol CAN absorb 35% water by weight. When you're buying E10-E15, there's plenty of overhead to draw from the air. If the boat owner is a "fair weather" boater and only runs his boat for a few weekends during the summer, it becomes a big problem.

Okay... so to digress... Alcohol dip and wipe, or storage is okay, as long as the alcohol is changed occasionally so it does not near saturation.

Oil is another story.
Oil is a great moisture blocker and rust preventative... if applied to a dry surface.
The problem with a razor is that if there is ANY moisture remaining embedded in micropits or engraving, the oil will seal it in. It won't oxidize heavily due to the lack of a free source of oxygen, but it will react with the available oxygen in the trapped water.

I really think the best long-term storage solution for straight razors, and even for SE/DE handles, is the silicon-impregnated material commonly used for "gun socks", and also sold by Superior for straight razors.
Dip in alcohol, pat dry, stick in the sock, and store it out of the bathroom.

Yes, I have the alcohol in one of those travel spray bottles dollar stores sell in bunches of 3.
I rinse my DE or straight under hot water, give it a shake and then spray with alcohol, it evaporates in a few seconds leaving it clean and dry. For the straight I finish with a few laps of a felt strop.
This all happens while the witch hazel on my face dries before using ASB.
I do exactly the same thing, I bought those 2 and 4 oz. blue spray bottles from Amazon to fill with (1) pre-shave oil - (2) Glycerin to add to the soap while making lather or use a eye-dropper (3) witch hazel to spray on face after I shave and (4) 70% alcohol to spray on to razor and razor blade to disinfect them.

Top Bottom